Yoxeter General - My first solo project

turtlebah

Hi RM Web followers!

I'm fairly new to this forum, but my main reason for joining is that an impending house move will finally give me the space to start my very own layout. Having been a keen modeller in my younger days, i'm afraid to say that i've been "off the wagon" for a good 15 years or so and have never really undertaken a serious solo project.

I've got some track plans that i'd like feedback on before embarking and some advice on the backstory and stock might also be useful. The majority of my previous modelling has been on the Great Western in 00 and i'm not intending to break rank this time around.

The name of the station is Yoxeter General, which is a large fictional town south of Bristol. The town also has a secondary station, Yoxeter Junction. Yoxeter General is an edge of town terminus where two lines terminate. Firstly, a main commuter route towards Bristol and secondly, a busy branchline connecting with the Great Western mainline between Frome and Castle Cary. This also allows through workings from further afield.

As you'll see from the proposed track plan, the busy town warrants 3 platforms, but has a limited goods yard. Yoxeter Junction, the town's other station, serves as the primary goods depot for the area and houses the main engine shed. The station is primarily for passenger use, but there is a good parcels service and the station serves as the connection to the Yoxeter factory sidings. The main constraint of the layout is space (i've literally only got about 4.5m of length to play with), but i wanted to create a fairly simple track plan that provided good operational variation. I also wanted to be able to get 5 coaches and a Manor in the main platform (platform 2).

The running period for the layout will be mid 1950s through to early 1960s, mostly because this is the time period that the majority of my existing stock covers, but i also like the freedom this period allows for stock crossing regional boundaries.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the proposed track plan, which is loosely based on Moor Street. I would also like some thoughts on what the factory could be? My heart was set on Yoxeter being well known for it's pottery as i think china clay trains would provide an interesting operational aspect, but i didn't know whether this was too far fetched for the region?

Looking forward to hearing the communities thoughts on Yoxeter General.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

Turtlebah

post-31245-0-30193600-1486952660_thumb.png

I don't know about a pottery being far-fetched or not, but would a creamery be another option? Or maybe a brewery siding - with traffic including grain in and finished product out?

Thanks Scottystitch - I really like the idea of a brewery siding. It offers the opportunity for some interesting goods trains.

• RMweb Gold

You might find the following thread useful:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66468-brewery-traffic/

This, in particular, is fantastic. Look at the image of the trains in the loading area:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66468-brewery-traffic/?p=960948

Archived