Decoder problems

mcrook62

Hi every one

I have 3 of the Dapol class 08 in O gauge I have a Hornby Elite dcc controller and have tried to change the default address 03 to another address,I follow the Hornby instructions for changing address set loco on programming track follow instructions and then put loco back on main track but loco has not changed I'd still set at 03.

Tried at least 10 times but still no good.any idea's anyone

IT'S DRIVING ME NUT'S 3 CLASS 08 STILL STUCK ON DEFAULT 03

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi every one

I have 3 of the Dapol class 08 in O gauge I have a Hornby Elite dcc controller and have tried to change the default address 03 to another address,I follow the Hornby instructions for changing address set loco on programming track follow instructions and then put loco back on main track but loco has not changed I'd still set at 03.

Tried at least 10 times but still no good.any idea's anyone

IT'S DRIVING ME NUT'S 3 CLASS 08 STILL STUCK ON DEFAULT 03

Regards

Not used the Hornby system before, but I presume you've successfully changed decoder IDs with it before?

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for message,yes used before on all of the OO gauge loco's I had. But Dapol's 08 are giving me a headache .

I follow the standard instruction as I always have done for changing the ID number from default 03 to another number but not happening this time.

I have sent 2 messages to Dapol but no answers as yet 1st message about this was in Jan and the other 2 days ago.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Thanks for message,yes used before on all of the OO gauge loco's I had. But Dapol's 08 are giving me a headache .

I follow the standard instruction as I always have done for changing the ID number from default 03 to another number but not happening this time.

I have sent 2 messages to Dapol but no answers as yet 1st message about this was in Jan and the other 2 days ago.

Hmmm, interesting.  Is this with a decoder you have fitted or is it a DCC supplied example from Dapol?  I cannot see any reason why the decoder would not respond, except to say that if its one you've fitted, it would be worth making sure that a) its in the correct way round - but logically it wouldn't fit or work if it wasn't, and b) that it is correctly and firmly seated on the 21pin adapter.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Does the loco "twitch" or make any other indication when you do the number change?

If not try reading a cv, CV8 for example. If that doesn't work you need to check the wiring to the programming track.

I don't have a Hornby DCC system so cannot think of more specific advice.

I have not used a Hornby Elite either, but the leading zero might be upsetting things - some command stations take that as meaning a long address. Try 7, 8, and 9 rather than 07, 08, and 09 to make sure that it is programming a short address to CV1 and not a long address to CV17 and CV18 instead.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Suze

Trying to set the 3 08's to 07,08,09 and the class 15 to 15

Regards

Michael

Just a thought, not sure what decoders come fitted in the Dapol examples, but it couldnt be set for four-digital addressing could it?  Have you tried setting to 0007, 0008 or 0009?  What what I remember its all down to a setting on CV29 on a Zimo decoder - not sure if thats the same with other makes.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Does the loco "twitch" or make any other indication when you do the number change?

If not try reading a cv, CV8 for example. If that doesn't work you need to check the wiring to the programming track.

I don't have a Hornby DCC system so cannot think of more specific advice.

I notice you now have a status update asking for help. Perhaps if you answered my query I could suggest more.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Yes set on 3 the loco's are all with lights and sound so I am stump on what stops the Elite controller from not changing the address.

regards

Michael

Ok, and as Tony asked, when you try and reprogram the locos, does it twitch or provide any reaction at all?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

At last heard from Dapol and they say that the decoder is a MX644D. And also said changing the decoder is the Elite fault not Dapol's

Regard

Michael

Hi.

Now you know what decoder it is perhaps try a post on the dcc section of the forum. Someone may have experience with that decoder and the Elite.

Hello Michael

Don't know if this will help or not - you may well have already tried this  ?  Also ensure the programming track rails are clean, and try pushing down on the loco slightly when programming, the loco should move/jerk very slightly when programming it, and the lights may ? or may not flash very briefly - 

HTH

Regards

Ken

You need to connect a separate piece of track to the Elite PROG terminals.

Place the loco you want to change address for on this track.

Select Menu button on the Elite.

Press the rotary knob to confirm when you see on screen:

Loco, then Direct, then Address, Write and enter your chosen address.

The Elite will flash its red led several times then you can repeat the process this time asking to Read the Address not Write it. You select Read by turning the knob from where you see Write, then click the knob to accept Read.

If it comes back with the address you chose then you have done it.

It is all in the manual.

Archived