Recommended decoder for Hornby Stanier 8F 2-8-0 loco drive

geoffers

OK Guys- advice please, please, pretty please. Above loco (48706) for S&DJR (BR) layout. I have tried a Lenz Standard Plus, and Gaugemaster chips OMNI27, OMNI29, and OPTI26 to no avail. The loco runs beautifully with these any one of these chips but I cannot manage to replace to the body to fit properly and the loco would look pretty silly if it rain with no body or one that rocks up and down. If I continue to get this frustrated with it there may be one less Stanier 8F model around as it could be that a large male person jumping up and down on it will render it as flat as a hedgehog with no road sense!! And if this happens it would not appear very prototypical. Thanks in advance. One possibility might be a TCS DP2X-UK but these are so expensive.

• RMweb Premium

OK Guys- advice please, please, pretty please. Above loco (48706) for S&DJR (BR) layout. I have tried a Lenz Standard Plus, and Gaugemaster chips OMNI27, OMNI29, and OPTI26 to no avail. The loco runs beautifully with these any one of these chips but I cannot manage to replace to the body to fit properly and the loco would look pretty silly if it rain with no body or one that rocks up and down. If I continue to get this frustrated with it there may be one less Stanier 8F model around as it could be that a large male person jumping up and down on it will render it as flat as a hedgehog with no road sense!! And if this happens it would not appear very prototypical. Thanks in advance. One possibility might be a TCS DP2X-UK but these are so expensive.

The TCS DP2X-UK is a very very good decoder and fits in nearly all UK locos. Even better if you can squeeze in one of their Keep alive units. I've never understood why the main manufacturers eg. Bachmann/Hornby couldn't have produced something similar - but cheaper. Trying to squeeze in all those wires, as well as the space taken up by an 8 pin plug is just plain ridiculous. BUT the TCS decoder is expensive- not helped by current exchange rates.

Archived