RMweb

Hornby TTS decoder and 21 pin plug

westonman

Hi all i have tried fitting a Hornby TTS decoder into a Bachmann class 47 using an 8 pin to 21 pin adapter.

Whilst the sound works ok the lights will not operate is this because the wiring to the 21 pin is not compatible with the 8 pin plug.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi all i have tried fitting a Hornby TTS decoder into a Bachmann class 47 using an 8 pin to 21 pin adapter.

Whilst the sound works ok the lights will not operate is this because the wiring to the 21 pin is not compatible with the 8 pin plug.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Bob

I have the Hornby TTS working in a Bachmann 47 using the Bachmann 8 to 21 converter. The lights will work but note that early production of this chip had the yellow and white wires transposed so lights work in opposite order to direction. The only fix for this is to swap these wires over unfortunately - it can't be done via CV's. Other things to watch out for are hesitant running - partly addressable by CV changes, lights that turn off when coming to a stop (a change needed to CV29) and in my experience 'general unexpected behaviour'. My experience of Hornby chips (sound and non sound) is that aren't the most reliable - for sound we are getting what we pay for with the big names. 

How have you got the lights to work? i thought the 8 pin plug was in the wrong way round so swapped it over but it made no difference.

Bob

P.S. Have just noticed the adapter is not Bachmann have sent for one of theirs to see if it makes any difference.

• RMweb Gold

How have you got the lights to work? i thought the 8 pin plug was in the wrong way round so swapped it over but it made no difference.

Bob

P.S. Have just noticed the adapter is not Bachmann have sent for one of theirs to see if it makes any difference.

Two thoughts, have you set the two switches under the fuel tank to 'On'. Then, have you turned the lights 'on' via the functions on your controller (I'm at work so can't tell you which function key the lights are mapped to - I have an NCE powercab and I turn the lights on via the 'Headlight' button).Failing that, have you a 21 pin decoder you can use to make sure the lights are working on the model - the 47 has those clipped on connections to the circuit board rather than a soldered connection - quite common for these connections to be not working. I soldered all the connections on mine when I fitted the chip.

• RMweb Gold

Just looked at the 'old' thread for this - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99656-Hornby-railroad-class-47-tts-sound/page-2 . With the chip  installed wrong way around - no lights - that matches your first situation. With the chip installed the correct way around you should have working lights but reversed. However, I found lights turn off when  stationary when using the power cab. Googled this and found an answer on the Hornby Forum which works - set CV 29 to 37. All this is making me question the wisdom of my pre order for the forthcoming Class 31 and 37 TTS chips - are 3 'temperamental' chips really worth more than one top quality bullet proof Loksound or Zimo from the likes of Legoman or PaulieBanger?

Archived