RMweb

DERBY The Roundhouse 6th & 7th May

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Derby Model Railway Exhibition 2017

Mickleover Model Railway Group is proud to announce it will be holding its 37th annual Derby model railway exhibition on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th May at The Roundhouse, Derby. Bringing together a wide selection of high quality layouts and exhibits from across the country, they will cover British, European and American outline in a variety of scales.

The show is once again being held in the former North Midland Railway locomotive workshops. Built in 1839, it is currently Grade II* listed and is the oldest surviving railway roundhouse in the world. Now part of Derby College, the building has been fully restored and is a modern events venue. This means the exhibition is held in a true railway location!

Situated adjacent to Derby railway station, The Roundhouse is easily accessible by public transport or car, full directions and maps are on the club’s newly redesigned website.

This will be the third exhibition the Group has held at The Roundhouse and it is now very much the home of the Derby show. Due to the success of the previous events, it is very pleasing to be able to announce that this year’s exhibition has been enlarged with the expansion in to a third area at the venue. This means the whole of the available facility is now being used for the Derby Model Railway Exhibition and will be filled with (model) railways in a railway venue!

The exhibition’s details are:

Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th May.

Open 10.00am to 5.00pm Saturday, 10.00am to 4.30pm Sunday

Admission: Adults: £7, Under 14s: Free (when accompanied by a paying adult)

The Roundhouse, Roundhouse Road, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8JE.

Parking onsite for visitors.

Further details in our regular updates

post-18-0-08116800-1487863180_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I`m planning to pay my first visit to this year’s exhibition at the Roundhouse, but after reading the various comments posted after last year’s event, I`m a bit concerned regarding the car parking arrangements and charges.

I trust that there will be signage in place to direct us to the correct visitor’s car parking area?

• RMweb Premium

I`m planning to pay my first visit to this year’s exhibition at the Roundhouse, but after reading the various comments posted after last year’s event, I`m a bit concerned regarding the car parking arrangements and charges.

I trust that there will be signage in place to direct us to the correct visitor’s car parking area?

Remember you have only seen the opinion of a very small number of around 3000 visitors . . . . . . . Please don't worry too much about the parking although I have to admit that like many venues this is out of our control and managed by the College. We intend to increase the signage this year and direct visitors to the College car park where there will be a £2 charge. They provide stewards who will if necessary direct you to alternative parking. If this is at another College site nearby then the charge will be the same. There is also a large public pay and display site which I think is £5 and the Station car park which is £7.50. Of course being next to the Station makes it so much easier to travel by train but we appreciate that this isn't possible for many of our visitors.

The whole Pride Park area should be less busy than last year as Derby County are away at Rotherham on the Sunday . . . . . .

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that the Nottingham show is over, it's time to start increasing the publicity for the other big show in the East Midlands . . . . . . . . . .

post-18-0-43275600-1490104371_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-22406100-1490104398_thumb.jpg

Note that this flyer was produced some time ago and there are a couple of changes to the layouts and traders listed. A full list will be published here when available

Remember you have only seen the opinion of a very small number of around 3000 visitors . . . . . . . Please don't worry too much about the parking although I have to admit that like many venues this is out of our control and managed by the College. We intend to increase the signage this year and direct visitors to the College car park where there will be a £2 charge. They provide stewards who will if necessary direct you to alternative parking. If this is at another College site nearby then the charge will be the same. There is also a large public pay and display site which I think is £5 and the Station car park which is £7.50. Of course being next to the Station makes it so much easier to travel by train but we appreciate that this isn't possible for many of our visitors.

Sorry, only just seen this.  As one of the 'very small number' who did voice his opinion on here last year, I'd agree that the problem was not the parking as such, but the inadequate and even misleading signage.  If that is being rectified this year, great news, because that was my only gripe - the Derby Show is usually certainly well worth a visit.  (And that's a Review from a Nottingham man!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It will be nice to see what layouts and traders will be there this year!

Sorry my fault - they have been up on our new website for a while but I forgot to copy them across here.

Check back soon for an update as we have a meeting tonight with the Exhibition Manager and I can then be sure that I have the very latest list.

As mentioned in the opening post, we have more space this year and we also have access on Friday night which means that Alex has been able to book some continuous running layouts as that was one of the criticisms from last year that there wasn't a 'roundy-roundy' layout - but we didn't know about getting in Friday at that time and there wouldn't have been time to set up a big layout on the Saturday morning. All part of the teething troubles you get from going to a new venue - it takes time for the venue operators to get to know what we want. Now with more space and Friday set-up, it's going to be bigger and better than before.

• RMweb Premium

As promised, here is the latest Layout List

Ashcombe                                          N Gauge                   GWR

Clifton and Lowther                         N Gauge                   BR

Horsted Keynes                                N Gauge                   BR

Mickleover (GN)                               N Gauge                   BR

Tanners Hill                                      N Gauge                   BR D&E

Tinners Wharf                                  N Gauge                   BR D&E

Wantage NG Tramway                    4mm NG                   NG

Aberdeen Kirkhill 2                          4mm Scale                BR D&E

Ashbrooke 'Midland Railway'          4mm Scale                LMS

Bonnington Goods                            4mm Scale                BR

Caradon Junction                             4mm Scale                BR D&E

Carminster                                        4mm Scale                BR D&E

Chebstone                                          4mm Scale                BR

Field Lane                                         4mm Scale                BR D&E

Oake                                                  4mm Scale                BR

Rosamund Street                               4mm Scale                BR

Rowntree Halt                                  4mm Scale                BR

Seven Ash                                          4mm Scale                BR D&E

Thomas the Tank Engine                  4mm Scale                -

Tonbridge West Yard                       4mm Scale                BR D&E

Treskilling ECC                                4mm Scale                BR D&E

Wheal Louise                                    4mm Scale                BR D&E

Woodward Lane                               4mm Scale                BR

WPD Safety & Training                   4mm Scale                -

Friday Bridge                                    EM Gauge                 BR D&E

Hartburn                                           EM Gauge                 BR

Bodmin                                              P4 Gauge                  GWR

Longcarse West                                P4 Gauge                  BR D&E

As well as the 29 listed above, there are a further 7 American and Continental layouts and I hope we don't get any of the 'discussions' seen in the Ally Pally topic about if they should or shouldn't be there. Derby has a long tradition going back about 30 years of always supporting all railway modellers regardless of their chosen prototype. Those with a long memory will recall the use of the 'Darwin Suite' at the Assembly Rooms which for many years had an alternating American / Continental theme organised on our behalf by NMRA and SNCF Society.

We can also now tell you that there will be a special announcement at 10.00am on the Saturday - for details see here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/121571-Bachmann-exclusive-locomotive-to-be-launched-at-the-derby-show-in-may/&do=findComment&comment=2675602

Mike

Mickleover MRG

As one of the providers of an American layout, there might be less scope for "discussion" if the foreign layouts were simply listed along with all the others as part of the show rather than having a separate and unidentified presence

As one of the providers of an American layout, there might be less scope for "discussion" if the foreign layouts were simply listed along with all the others as part of the show rather than having a separate and unidentified presence

I  really do hope not

I like to be able to see at a glance what Interesting Other Countries Railways are  going to be there at a glance.

"Some people" may have "some reason" for complaining that some furrin stuff is at  a British Railway Modelling  run show but the rest of us are fully aware that good modelling is simply good modelling and wish to see it, and be previously aware of its attendance.

• RMweb Premium

I was going to make a feature of the American and Continental layouts by deliberately listing them separately in the same way as I am going to list the trade in a different posting as well. That way it gets the topic back to the top of the list every couple of days.

The American and Continental list is below - and this answers Ian's query above about a lack of 7mm - instead we have 1:48 instead which we hope is acceptable ! There are also two Narrow Gauge layouts there as well - as mentioned above Alex does try to cover several scales and gauges - I make that 10 different combinations

End of the Spur                                HO Scale                  USA

Grizzly Woods Railroad                   On30 Scale               USA

Laramie Engine Terminal                O Scale                     USA

Midland, Ohio                                  O Scale                     USA

Cronenberg                                       HO Scale                  Euro

Zweiberg                                           HO Scale                  Euro

Gresten                                              HOe Scale                 Euro

Fair enough. We do suffer sometimes from the "You don't want to look at that, it's foreign" view.

I did wonder whether a separation of the layout listing feeds that but I accept your point entirely and will now pack up my tent and slip away into the night!

Every time we have exhibited at Derby the layout mix has always been good.

nd

Don't you think 22 BR layouts out of 36 is overkill?

I trust your tongue may be firmly inside one cheek ?

Considering BR came into existence in 1948, there can be little in common with a BR layout set circa 1950, or 1960, Rosamund St. set in 1971 and then Tonbridge West Yard, all described as 'BR'

• RMweb Premium

Time for another update - Trade this time, including a number who are new to Derby now that we have secured additional space (but kept the admission price the same !!)

All Components

C&L Finescale

Coastal DCC

Contikits

D&E Video/DC Kits/Realtrack Models

Eileens Emporium

Footplate

Greenscene

H&A Models

John Sammans

Layouts 4U

Legomanbiffo Digital Sounds

Mad About Trains

Malcs Models

Megapoints Controllers

Mick Bond

Model Tree Shop

Mount Tabor Models

Nick Tozer

Nostalgia Art - David Wright

Online Models

P&H Models

Peco

Plus Daughters

Railway Bookshop

RCTS

Severn Models

Shawplan

Sherwood Models

Smart Models

Talyllyn Railway

TTC Diecast

Pleased that following the sale of the business, C&L will continue to support us for all you trackbuilding needs

New traders this year

Eileen's Emporium - what can I say about one of the best known tool suppliers . . . . . . . . .

Megapoints Controllers - all sorts of electronic wizardry - far too complicated for me to understand but they make it sound simple !

Mick Bond - local swapmeet trader with new and secondhand stock - replacing John Kelsey who had supported us for over 30 years since the early days at the Assembly Rooms but now in semi-retirement

Smart Models - laser cut card building kits

TTC Diecast - our local model shop (previously Loughborough Models even though they had moved to Derby)

Archived