DERBY The Roundhouse 6th & 7th May

Mike Bellamy

Unfortunately, Arigna Town is unable to attend this year. I'd filled in the form last year, but not put the date in my diary, so when details arrived last week, I then found I was already busy elsewhere with family and friends. A real shame for me, as I visited the Derby Works Open Days many times as a child and was looking forward to seeing the Roundhouse again. Fingers crossed, will be there next year instead.

Many apologies to the organisers & very much hope the show goes really well for you.

I trust your tongue may be firmly inside one cheek ?

Considering BR came into existence in 1948, there can be little in common with a BR layout set circa 1950, or 1960, Rosamund St. set in 1971 and then Tonbridge West Yard, all described as 'BR'

Not even slightly.   Most good shows have a mix of eras and subjects.  This show has just 3 grouping era layouts and nothing covering the century of railway history before 1923 at all. 

• RMweb Gold

Not even slightly.   Most good shows have a mix of eras and subjects.  This show has just 3 grouping era layouts and nothing covering the century of railway history before 1923 at all. 

Firstly, I wasn't aware exhibitions had to have an even and balanced historical spread of layouts, and secondly, take your layout to even out the imbalance?

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

At least there are two American 0 scale layouts, as without Arigna Town the 7mm scale was looking a bit thin. I'm less interested in the balance between BR/non BR [except the former can be very samey] but without large scale layouts to see there is much less incentive to visit a show, and I'd not want to miss Derby.

Especially as my Spring modelling project is the refurb of a certain N gauge layout including a Bridge. Possibly a candidate for next year's show?

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The American and Continental layouts and society stands always make Derby more interesting than shows without them. 

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned previously, we have additional space this year and at the latest 'catch up' meeting, the Roundhouse confirmed that they would be using an additional catering outlet there with more seating. That will mean that there will be three separate catering areas, in the main Roundhouse with seating on the turntable (no it won't be going round !), the entrance to the Library with seating in the corridor area, and in the new Theatre space.

However one surprise was to be told that the new area would also be serving beer - not sure if this will be draught or bottled but it gives us another alternative to tea and coffee - but not for those driving - which gives me an opportunity to remind visitors that the venue is next to Derby Station and so rail travel is the best option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With the Alexandra and incomparable Brunswick pubs next the station, the beer lover could have a great day out!

Dava

• Like 1

With the Alexandra and incomparable Brunswick pubs next the station, the beer lover could have a great day out!

Dava

Well I certainly intend that, and it won't be limited to the two establishments of which you speak :)

• Like 2

I was warned about the beer by Alex early in the year :no: can you be charged for being drunk in charge of a layout, the car will be left at the hotel, would be rude not to sample a few (all in the name of research) before we go to the Alex and the Brunswick, the weekend just gets better and better!!!!! :imsohappy:  :yahoo:

post-13979-0-11847200-1492805268.jpg

Will have to have some of my beer reefers with me!!!!!!

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, I'm in work Friday night and my job finishes at 09:45 Saturday morning in the station yard in derby, if only I could find something to do 15 minutes after a arrive within walking distance of the sidings!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Ray and Brian (and others) for their postings above which all help to get the show back to the top of the list. Mum (88) has a broken hip and I have had several round trips of 160 miles acting as Dad's taxi service. I haven't had time to trawl through RMweb for details of visiting layouts and so it's great that some of our exhibitors have done that work for me.

Apologies for the lack of other updates but there hasn't really been that much to report as everything is going according to plan now that we are into our third year at this impressive and historic venue. A reminder that we have more space this year, there will be continuous running layouts, an extra catering outlet (with beer?) and extra signs for the car parks - all based on feedback from last year to show that we do listen and where possible we take action. However remember that many things are outside our control and governed by the College (such as the £2 charge for parking). 

• RMweb Premium

I hope so otherwise all the adverts are wrong !!

For the first year we could not get access until Saturday morning and went in at 6.00am to set up. It was only after adverts had gone to press last year that it was confirmed we could set up part of the show on Friday evening and so we kept to the advertised time of 10.30am.

However we now have a new contract which definitely has Friday evening included as well as the additional room mentioned in previous posts and so the majority of the show will be ready the night before which enables us to open that bit sooner at 10.00am. I just hope that we get enough through the door to cover the additional costs . . . . . .

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Out last night hanging road signs on lamp posts so that once you are on Pride Park there are signs from all three entrances (A52, City Centre and A6). Although we are next to the Station be careful following their signs otherwise you will end up at the main entrance and on the wrong side of the tracks. For those arriving by train you need the Pride Park exit.

BBC Weather Forecast for Derby is sunny all day today, cloudy all Saturday with a return to some sunshine Sunday. We often have a debate about the best weather for an exhibition - too nice and some will go elsewhere, too bad and they won't come at all - hopefully what we have ordered for this weekend will be just right . . . . .

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Only two problems so far -

The bar was bigger than expected and we had to ask them to reduce the size so we could get all of the exhibits into the extra room we have for this year. Confirmed that there will be draught beer but at this stage I don't know what it will be.

Exhibition Guides were printed a few days ago and despatched by a parcel delivery company - checked into their local depot and later checked into the Derby depot - and then disappeared. No sign of them on the van and they have done a thorough search of the warehouse. End result is that the show guides are being printed again overnight and sent by direct door to door courier ready for opening time. No cost to the Club - that's up to the printers and couriers to sort out between them.