Yes, I think all of the vestibule doors are glazed but it's apparent that the glazing on the brake end doors is different to that on the saloon end, so I'll need to look at that.  At the brake end also it's worth pointing out that the carriage has windows- for the guard I presume. 

This is a photo from Steve Banks' website that really shows the window arrangement on the doors quite well. 

gc_bto_e5695e_1333_800_72.jpg

• Like 4

Ah, that one.  I interpretted it as glazed, however on my saloons I modelled the corridor connections from solid lumps of balsa wood (the bellows in the silhouette file are so fragile I managed to break them), which rather rendered it a moot point for me at least.  As I'm planning to run my Barnums as a complete rake I can live with that compromise, I can well see people who want to run them singly having different thoughts on the matter. 

• Agree 1

A third original Director has happened, even after I decided I had quite enough motive power for my needs.  I'll be proceeding with the Barnum brakes this afternoon, the plan is to build the end vestibules and get the ventilators fitted and- maybe- get some paint on the basic body shells. 

• Like 3

Yesterday; the vestibules got built, the roof profiles got cut and the first coat of paint went down.  They're starting to look, vaguely, like Barnum brakes.

Today (being on holiday) I visited my local cathedral city (Lichfield) and got inspiration for a few buildings I have in mind.  I should, really, start at least trying to sketch up what I have in mind here. 

• Like 2

The promised photos of the renewed restaurant car...

48583288262_1b3bda5cbb_b.jpg

48583287602_08943bba19_b.jpg

... and work to date on one of the Barnum brakes.  

48583139446_59f3a89531_b.jpg

Well, it's errr.... getting there.  Not convinced I can build carriage sides completely from scratch to be honest but once the teak is finished and the bodywork cleaned up a bt it should be adequate for my purposes. 

• Like 3

Looks good. I still have to work out how all the bits fit together for the set for dettingen. I must go back and find jcl instructions in his thread. Though part of me feels I copied them to a word doc, but where I put it, god knows.

you work so much faster than me, it is dizzying some times. I still have about 50 pieces to cut out before I can start to build my 4 coach set. 

Richard. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, somehow or other we're building the same stock at the same time :D

I've made a bit of an alteration to mine and (much) simplified the seating, I find you just can't see it inside the carriage so a few blocks of balsa wood and card suffice for me. 

I think, somewhere, I made notes about how I built the saloons- they might be on my old blog somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My third 11E/ D10/ original Director has arrived.  Lovely whitemetal thing but in black with LNER emblazoned on the tender sides.  It is also fitted with "Zeebrugge" nameplates that are clearly wrong.  So.. when I next put in a bulk order for number and nameplates, she'll gain a new identity. 

Progress on the Barnums; the ventilators have been fitted, bufferbeams and trussing built and a second coat of orange paint applied.  They're looking a lot more convincing now. 

• Like 2

I suspect I've exaggerated on mine (I set them back as far as the vestible doors).  I think they should only be set back the thickness of the planking (so about 2 or 3 inches- say 1mm).  Mine are easily double that but when the roofs are on it shouldn't be too noticeable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Bank Holiday sit rep.

1. Carriage roofs fitted and (mostly) painted.

2. Glazing fitted. 

3. Couplings and bufferbeams/ buffers fitted. 

4.  Solebars painted. 

Still to do:

1. Final cleaning up of teak and roof paint.

2. Corridor connections. 

3. Handrails.

And, after that, I'll be taking a step away from the GCR for a a little while (only a little while) and building an Elswick cruiser. 

• Like 3

This week; something big, grey, airsmoothed and bearing the mysterious legend 'LNER' on the tender arrived.  Beautiful machine but I can't help thinking it would so much better in middle chrome green at the head of my Barnums.  And from there it is but a short step to 2-8-0 0-8-2 garratts, or 4-cylinder Baldwin 2-10-2s, on trains of 50 bogie coal wagons... 

No, on second thoughts let's leave a steampunk Great Central in the realms of fantasy, shall we?

The plan for today is several fold; finish the paintwork, fit the handrails and manufacture and fit the corridor connections.  Then I'll call these Barnums finished.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Far, far too many wheels. This would be far more the thing, if it's state-of-the-art speed you want:

1345314288_MSLRClass13.jpg.8d2be5c1497af771e498e6f7cb877036.jpg

Dashingly modern these fin de siècle outfits, like the Great Central and the South Eastern & Chatham joint management committee.

I feel, though, this is as avant garde as I want to get!  This is now!  The future is merely progressively disappointing!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1