Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

A few more from H G Cassoulet’s negatives.

The G5 is about the only good thing that came on the recent northeast wind, after I discovered that 1882 was allocated to Stratford from January 1939, so ideal to work into Paltry Circus. After reading some of the froffin fred about the forthcoming 00 ones, I hate to think what the purists will make of this.

The bottom photo seems to be a clever time-lapse shot ...... and, in colour too!

post-26817-0-21092400-1520111835_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-60169000-1520111865_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-22451600-1520111881_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-14983500-1520111901_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

That is a very nice G5 and as for the purists they can all go hang themselves.  Failing to appreciate a nice in-the-spirit-of-tinplate's-golden-era 'O' gauge locomotive is indicative of having lost their soul and what might have remained of their imagination.

• Like 5

One more for LNER fans.

As a PS: this loco is b hard to photograph. It looks a lot more impressive in reality, because the boot polish black, with red lining, reflects the light and makes quite a statement that doesn’t come across in a picture.

post-26817-0-45676600-1520199411_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Like a “black hole” on wheels, but very tasty, and with that train, Paltry Circus goes north. I’m afraid I’m a total philistine, what little bit of tinplate I have, gets a coat of Matt varnish over the shiny enamel for starters.

Edited by Northroader

Matt varnish!?!?!?

Actually, the loco came south, otherwise it wouldn’t be allowed on the layout. Allocated to Stratford from January 1939, for use on the Epping to Ongar, Seven Sisters to Palace Gates, and (in my imagination) Lea Bridge to Paltry Circus routes.

Incidentally, the NER version of this Ace loco, which does look very nice indeed, is (now?) only available via the real G5 project, who had a special batch for fundraising. https://www.g5locomotiveltd.co.uk

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

Annie

I wasn’t seeking to open some kind of purist/impurist divide. So far as I’m concerned purity and impurity are both fine in moderation.

Kevin

My apologies Kevin, I didn't want to start any wars and I do agree that moderation is the key.  Having been exposed to rabid and fanatical P4 modellers during my tender youth may have left a too lasting impression on me  ueOQWcg.gif

• Like 2

Don't hold back, Annie!

That G5, for so we may call it in that livery, is a Thing of Beauty.

I thought the deep glossy black was a stunning effect, and then you pointed out that she looks even better in reality.

It has grace, but also a solid tactile beauty that comes from both the scale and the material from which it is built.  This is something you won't get with a finescale 4mm scale model, however many fiddly bits you stick on it.

I suppose I am saying that the G5 exemplifies the benefits of this type of modelling.

In case you hadn't guessed, I really like it.  Well photographed, too.

• Like 5

A quick outburst of old-fashioned modernity, to avoid bogging-down another thread with this subject.

The first three are from the E W Twining, the strange ‘brick’ at the start being a station in streamline moderne style that he designed for Bassett Lowke’s showroom Trix layout, and the other two fantasies one the road to the Trix Manyways stations.

The others are from Rev Beal, and the big passenger station being a near-replica of Surbiton on the SR. Someone in the TCS has a cracking version of the little Holden-sequence drum station on their layout, all covered with Beal-drawn Merco brickpaper ...... picture somewhere miles back up this thread.

More of this sort of modernity will follow, if anyone else likes it as much as I do.

post-26817-0-06690100-1520541171_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-11557500-1520541190_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-75146800-1520541204_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-49316100-1520541218_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-43646500-1520541231_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-03849000-1520541250_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-71800400-1520541263_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Strange how this style was pushed hard by the leading modellers of the 1930s, but seems to have had no real impact, with very few known models made like this. As you say, the SR was the leading user for prototype buildings, followed by the underground. LMS, LNER, GWR, just a handful of places.

Probably the best place for examples was Northern and Eastern France and Belgium, as there was wholesale destruction of railway buildings in WW1, and widespread adoption of this look for the rebuilding work.

Edited by Northroader

If you look in magazines of the period, there were a lot of amateur builds in this style, to which we can add all of the many the ‘Ashfields’ sold in 0 gauge by BL, the Trix stations, the early wooden HD ones, and, at a stretch, the HD aluminium ones. Then there was Hugar, and a lot of cheap imitators.

There were lots of German and French ones as well, of course, from the likes of Maerklin, Kubri and Fleischmann in tin, and Hornby France, first in wood, then in plastic (i’ve got their 0 scale plastic one, made c1960, but it is a bit too big for the location on my layout).

I’d say that ‘modern’ stations were highly characteristic of layouts on the toy/model cusp, from the early 30s to the 60s. After WW2, they don’t seem to turn up on British “model” layouts much, probably because Railway-nostalgia gradually took hold and, at that stage, this style was still too new in Britain to evoke nostalgia.

• Like 4

I have some coach artwork (for 4mm, but still...) which some of you here in this charming sector may be interested.

If you are, please drop me a PM. You'd have to re-scale it yourself, but I'm happy to let you use the artwork.

It's mostly LSWR and LBSCR, but there's one piece of GER in there, and possibly some GWR.

• Like 3

Here’s my favourite amateur one, from MM in 1938. It’s a home-built 0-scale replication and expansion of the Trix Manyways, a true essay in fretsawing, and a first class addition to Mr Elsdon of Lewisham’s Hornby layout, made with the help of the mysterious “... a friend...”.

post-26817-0-12876300-1520545835_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

A quick outburst of old-fashioned modernity, to avoid bogging-down another thread with this subject.

The first three are from the E W Twining, the strange ‘brick’ at the start being a station in streamline moderne style that he designed for Bassett Lowke’s showroom Trix layout, and the other two fantasies one the road to the Trix Manyways stations.

The others are from Rev Beal, and the big passenger station being a near-replica of Surbiton on the SR. Someone in the TCS has a cracking version of the little Holden-sequence drum station on their layout, all covered with Beal-drawn Merco brickpaper ...... picture somewhere miles back up this thread.

More of this sort of modernity will follow, if anyone else likes it as much as I do.

Was about to post much the same from my Beal book on CA !

• Like 1

These guys put on a cracking display based around the BL Ashfield station http://www.vintage-layouts.org.uk/ashfield.html , and if you like that station, I know a man who can supply newly-made replicas of it in raw plywood, for you to paint-up.

34090 - really, you aren’t getting into the spirit! It’s a station, it’s got a multi-bay overall roof ..... sounds like York to me.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

I like it really! Honist Guv!

Well, my BR Std 4MTT Has one set of two trailing wheels, another set of four trailing wheels and six driving wheels... does it matter if they're in the right order?!

I’ve never been a huge fan of Meccano.

For the benefit of those who have never seen it, Surbiton station is magnificent, and white.

My husband and cousin loved their Meccano, but I preferred my cousin’s Hornby clockwork trainset!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I’ve never been a huge fan of Meccano.

For the benefit of those who have never seen it, Surbiton station is magnificent, and white.

Presumably the same P R Wickham who wrote various books on railway and architectural modelling.