Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

By way of an update (and thanks to Kevin for his advice!)I’ve got an idea of my next steps.

Given the appeal of being able to operate coarse scale on a ‘roundy roundy’ and watch the trains go by but with me lacking the required ‘permanent’ space in the garage I’ve come up with the following idea.

The layout will be set on two doors. One door will form the ‘permanent’ part of the layout and will be the aforementioned inglenook layout I’ve talked about. The second door will then have the ability to be placed next to the first for running sessions with the ability to set the track in an oval with sidings therefore essentially creating two very different layouts. My plan is to utilise appropriate style buildings, vehicles, figures etc in different locations to maximise the space available on each layout.

The doors roughly measure 6ft 4 by 4ft 6 which allows for 24 degree curves which seems to be the minimum for ACE and other manufacturers medium to larger size locos. It’s still a small layout but should still be fun to operate and watch.

Given the track etc etc wont be nailed down (albeit the underlay will) my theory is that switching between the two different layouts shouldn’t take longer than a few minutes.

It’s got the wife’s approval and gives me the ability to showcase different stock and the ability to have a decent-ish running session. There’s a future option to build something outside in the distant future too albeit this may follow in my Dads shoes and be G scale.

On the topic of couplings, I’m in the process of creating a form of tool that at present seems to answer when trying to uncouple and couple standard coarse style couplings.

Greg

Edited by RateTheFreight
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the topic of couplings, I’m in the process of creating a form of tool that at present seems to answer when trying to uncouple and couple standard coarse style couplings.

Greg

Is that a bent paperclip - like others use?

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - My experience is that while the inter vehicle gaps are on the long side the modern standard ACE / ETS droplink and hook coupler is very reliable and allows for propelling without problem - in addition to pulling.

CH

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 1

Is that a bent paperclip - like others use?

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - My experience is that while the inter vehicle gaps are on the long side the modern standard ACE / ETS droplink and hook coupler is very reliable and allows for propelling without problem - in addition to pulling.

CH

Indeed it is, albeit strapped to a very thin/small torch to provide additional light!

• Like 1

Greg,

This is sounding very interesting. Interior flush doors are certainly a very good form of baseboard, and surprisingly economical when compared with buying wood and making your own.

And, if you've invented a truly easy to use coupling and un-coupling tool for drop-links, you might not have the world beat a path to your door, but I can imagine a lot of fumble-fingered elderly gentlemen subscribing to have a blue plaque fitted to your house

My own uncoupling stick consists of a length of 3/8" square hardwood, with a 3" long piece of 1/16" brass wire inserted in one end, the wire having a small hook formed in one end. Overall, a bit like an eighteenth-century crochet hook. It sort of works, but it sort of doesn't!

Kevin

PS: my use of deliberately old-fashioned units of measure should cheer-up old blokes too.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

attachicon.gif 37551981_1984169571614154_5046620137969418240_o.jpg  this is the above mentioned Loco hopefully the pic turns out okay !

Very nice indeed.

I have the SR one on order, and if the engine fund hadn’t been otherwise depleted, I’d now be thinking LSWR also.

Looks to me as if they’ve struck the coarse/detail/proportions balance about right.

There's always debate about models of pre-grouping locos, and whether the model represents genuine period condition, or 'as preserved', with all sorts of alterations by later owners. Does anyone know what the score is here?

From what I can work out, boiler fittings and coal-rails or not varied even during LSWR ownership, but the double slide bars seem to be an SR thing ....... although I imagine a single slide bar would survive the rigours of operation on a layout for about 5ms.

Digging in my Bradley, the double slide bars were done in the 1900s to some working from Exmouth Junction, which carried over with the Lyme Regis job, although there are pictures of single slidebar working here in BR days, most of the class had the single slide bar. The obvious changes were Drummond fitted the coal rails above the bunker and lipped taper chimney to replace the stovepipe (I prefer the stovepipe) He also made a few replacement boilers with the safety valves on the dome, which rotated on repair, but the bulk had the Adams boilers in circulation, just variations whether the Ramsbottom valves were cased or uncased.

The class were built with London end workings in mind, so they were hard hit by the LSWR pre WW1 electrifications, a lot went into store at Eastleigh, but some lent out, including the HR. What was left by SR days were on country branch line workings, but there is a reference to Nine Elms having some for a Wimbledon - Ludgate Hill push pull service, so the one youve got could find its way legitimately to Paltry Circus. The last survivors were famously on the Lyme Regis branch in BR times, it looks as if your manufacturer picked double slide bars for this reason?

It does look a lovely model, I suppose it’s got narrow back to back, and I doubt if I could afford it for some time, oh well, good luck with it.

That is a beautiful model.

It is also in some ways closer to the pre-Grouping in-service condition than the Hornby or Oxford 4mm models.

Pleasingly it does not have the bunker coal rails, and the tank filler is accordingly shorter. 

The only real anomaly is the lower slide bar, as has been said.  Contrary to popular belief, the class did not all migrate from London; there were always some Way Out West.  Likewise, as Northroader says, the lower slide bar was not exclusively a Southern innovation and some Exmouth Junction ones had them fitted.  This locomotive in this livery (Adams), however, should not have one. 

Whether any of that matters in coarse scale is a matter for the modeller; it wouldn't bother me!

I saw the LSWR model 'close up and personal' on Saturday, and it really does stand-up to scrutiny.

The other really tempting engine that I saw on Saturday was the Ace Caledonian 0-4-4T in LMS red livery, as here http://www.acetrainslondon.com/display%20pages/e-26cr0-4-4t.html

To me, it looks nicer than the blue, a really deep lustrous red.

All ETS under close guidance from the respective commissioners, which seems to be a killer combination. There is a discussion of the ETS KPEV P8 going on elsewhere, and that is another absolute masterpiece ........ I"m not into German standard gauge, but if I ever win the lottery, which is unlikely since I don't buy tickets, then ........

• Like 1

The only thing I bagged on Saturday was a ‘new’ brake van for the horse-box special, which Mark should approve of, it being Bing.

I did collect the Leeds G6, and when I got home and tested it, I got so excited that an almost disastrous shunting incident occurred. The fact that it wasn’t quite disastrous, I ascribe to divine intervention, given who restored the loco.

post-26817-0-44442900-1533907780_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-96755900-1533907798_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-33470400-1533907962_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Nearholmer good sir, is the LNER full brake in your first photo your new addition? If so, just a slight correction, it isn't Bing, but Winteringham for B/L, from Carette tooling. If I remember right, there was the full brake, an all 3rd and an all 1st, but only in LNER livery. Lovely bogie shortie coaches, but if only they had done them in the other 3 companies colours. To be honest, they are nicer than the Bing equivalent which replaced them after all too brief a time in the B/L catalogue.

Well, I live and learn. Thank you for that education - I wondered why I couldn't find any GBN or anything on it.

I bought it because (a) I like short 'full brake' coaches, and it seemed like a delightfully chubby one, (b) I thought the finish was really nice, and © it makes a nice train with the horse-boxes and an Ace 6W clerestory brake-third.

The roof has been re-done, and its had a few tiny touch-ins, but its in pretty good condition overall.

if it has siblings, there is always the danger of further collecting ....... blast!

PS: The penny has dropped - the Bing ones have opening doors, don't they?

PPS: now I’m really embarrassed! It says ‘Bassett Lowke’ on both ends in small writing!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

The only thing I bagged on Saturday was a ‘new’ brake van for the horse-box special, which Mark should approve of, it being Bing.

I did collect the Leeds G6, and when I got home and tested it, I got so excited that an almost disastrous shunting incident occurred. The fact that it wasn’t quite disastrous, I ascribe to divine intervention, given who restored the loco.

Talk about confusion and delay! Luckily, no-one was hurt (I think).

• RMweb Premium

The G6 (SR) looks good as does the G5 (NE) with its horsebox train.

I suspect your "Near hit" incident probably made you go white - especially as you are normally so careful about lowering the flap before energising the railway.

I will bring my new acquisition round for a test run shortly - with the milk train for which it came ready fitted with appropriate lamps.

Regards

Chris H

It was very strange, FU.

I didn’t know the derailment had happened. I was engrossed in testing the G6 on the other side of the room, up and down a siding, oblivious to the fact that i’d left a complete coal train in the FY without isolating it or trapping it with the points. The entire train must have been going to-and-fro, and it was only by the grace of God that another six wagons and a Q class loco didn’t go off the cliff.

It was only when i’d stabled the G6, switched-off, and turned round to go outside that I even knew there’d been a derailment!

The camera, being my phone, is always in my pocket.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

It was very strange, FU.

I didn’t know the derailment had happened. I was engrossed in testing the G6 on the other side of the room, up and down a siding, oblivious to the fact that i’d left a complete coal train in the FY without isolating it or trapping it with the points. The entire train must have been going to-and-fro, and it was only by the grace of God that another six wagons and a Q class loco didn’t go off the cliff.

It was only when i’d stabled the G6, switched-off, and turned round to go outside that I even knew there’d been a derailment!

Easy to do with DC systems unless you can be disciplined and restore all switches to off after a move.

Don

It was very strange, FU.

A testament to just how noisy these old trains are, maybe :D if one loco can mask the sound of another whole train committing hari-kari.!!! :sarcastichand: