Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Picking up from a post by Mr Nearholmer on another thread. An alternative to the Daopl 4-wheel would be to build your own. I rather crudely put together a couple from parts available from 422 Modelmaking and chassis borrowed from a couple of ETS coaches. The intention is to resurrect the ETS coaches, hence the weird third step at either end.

It does seem odd, given the tighter radii used in coarse scale that 4-wheel coaches are so poorly represented. The Hornby four compartment coaches are 30% under scale and look odd behind a Terrier.

IMG_0215.JPG.7aa059f53903569667799c3efa9ef5ba.JPG

Edited by goldfish
Textural error
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

1 hour ago, Simond said:

YPYM - YTYC,

:)

44 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Has someone swallowed an Enigma machine..??!! :scratchhead: :dontknow:

Some variation on 'Mornington Crescent' as played by staff at the DVLA?

Thinking about it, though, in Welsh those might actually be words. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, goldfish said:

Picking up from a post by Mr Nearholmer on another thread. An alternative to the Daopl 4-wheel would be to build your own. I rather crudely put together a couple from parts available from 422 Modelmaking and chassis borrowed from a couple of ETS coaches. The intention is to resurrect the ETS coaches, hence the weird third step at either end.

It does seem odd, given the tighter radii used in coarse scale that 4-wheel coaches are so poorly represented. The Hornby four compartment coaches are 30% under scale and look odd behind a Terrier.

IMG_0215.JPG.7aa059f53903569667799c3efa9ef5ba.JPG

I like those coaches and agree that they look a lot more apprpriate than the old Hornby offerings.

I have created a couple of long wheel base 4 wheeler underframes from a couple of Darstaed 6 wheeler underframes. The first - seen below with my ACE / Wright Palethorpes six-wheeler - is perfectly happy running round 27 inch radius curves and the same radius turnouts (both Atlas track components.

IMG_0441.jpg.1b7c0ae56392949a2416d9333547a29c.jpgIMG_0442.jpg.1193553567fcd819702abe7f0baedd78.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg.a87d48e24faf65f7e4b74079e7bd7189.jpg

This underframe is intended for a model of a SR CCT, but I haven't created a body yet. No modification is made to the Darstaed parts beyond removing the centre axle unit and locking up the outer axles by addition of a separate - home made - platewhich carries a vacuum brake cylinder and the trussing.

The other underframe is intended to the host for a GWR Siphon "C" - I really need a body kit creating!

Then I will have two Darstaed axle units left over- which might go under a Metropolitan Railway 4 wheel milk van!

Hope that of interest.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 5

Re backgrounds and buildings, I’ve just been browsing the Menards website. For those who don’t know them, Menards are a US hardware and DIY chain who have a sideline in O and HO buildings and rolling stock. The rolling stock appears to derive from the convoluted chain of historic tooling which reappears periodically on the US scene, but the buildings seem to be unique to them. 

They’re rather good in context. I’ve looked more than once at bringing some back from the US, but shipping is just not viable on a parcel the size of a two-story O Scale building, retail price $40-60 and somehow hand-carrying by air doesn’t appeal...

• Like 1

Now with added carriage.

Its a landaulet, which might prompt poor-taste jokes about updated Chinese laundries.

Plastic model from I think the 1980s, which could easily be de-blinged to make a London Growler.

77A2BCE7-569C-4560-9DDC-DC18AAE2A7F1.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 12

Would make a different sort of royal train.

Brumm, which I think is/was an Italian diecast maker. I vaguely remember them making quite a wide range of horse-drawn vehicles and range of steam coaches - one of them would be a novelty! A toyshop near where I live used to stock them when I first moved here almost forty years ago.

EDIT: having checked, they might be late 1970s, rather than 1980s.

EDIT: having just looked on ebay, some of these Brumm carriages now seem to have asking prices close to that of an 0 gauge loco!!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Having run it through the Bombe and Colossus (which actually weren’t for Enigma IIRC) I believe we have either:

Indeed, Colossus was used to break Tunny, the German high command cypher.... My mind is failing me about the Bombes, they <may> have been for Enigma....

Andy G

• Like 2

I think W. Britain's & Co (of toy soldier fame) made some horse drawn vehicles for their "B" series (lesser quality and smaller than the normal 54mm or gauge one figures, more O gauge), however those might simply amount to artillery pieces! If they made a tumbrel cart that might look nice. I know they did a 54mm version and a OO one, which Mike Sharmen used to great effect on his pre-grouping layouts.

Here's a 54mm one, complete with farmer and wire whip no less.

image.png.ee47ab1651925cd2733cf4b845d75f43.png

• Like 5

In normal times in the UK, people often display "loose lay"  tinplate layouts at meetings, with immense numbers of vintage accessories, but always 0 gauge, never (well, possibly very rarely indeed) gauge 1, which is a pity, because Britains and multiple other makers produced a wealth of material of suitable scale. Some of the Edwardian figures made for Hull of Birmingham, for instance, are wonderful period pieces - the station master from this set is particularly good, oozing character even at two inches tall (actually, I think he may be more like three inches tall - maybe he’s Gauge 3, or just Very Important).W.H._Hull_and_Son_(MRaL_1909-04).jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2020 at 08:34, rockershovel said:

Re backgrounds and buildings, I’ve just been browsing the Menards website. For those who don’t know them, Menards are a US hardware and DIY chain who have a sideline in O and HO buildings and rolling stock. The rolling stock appears to derive from the convoluted chain of historic tooling which reappears periodically on the US scene, but the buildings seem to be unique to them.

They’re rather good in context. I’ve looked more than once at bringing some back from the US, but shipping is just not viable on a parcel the size of a two-story O Scale building, retail price $40-60 and somehow hand-carrying by air doesn’t appeal...

The store in Chillicothe, Ohio, note that the photo is less than one third the width of the whole store:

1942146655_Fontentrance.jpg.d24e06012d85fbb18eff8339eac9bc62.jpg

The interior; about an eight of the whole store:550324660_Interiorview.jpg.36befba29698075223067890840f8403.jpg

The train aisle, all fifty feet or so of it:

1480914716_Trainislelookingleft.jpg.2fc3aa0c18330863f32ad9c5b120b865.jpg

One of their buildings, I have this one in O:

1508295861_RedOwlbuildinginHO.jpg.340a360946ca21aa407034c19741be9f.jpg

As you can see, trains are NOT a big part of Menards product lines! I have mail-ordered a couple of their buildings with free delivery to the store for pick-up in the store as I can save the shipping and handling charges and only pay the Ohio sales tax; considerably less than the s&h. Note that the Chilicothe store is the nearest to me at 425 miles; I pass about a mile or so from it on my way to and from Springfield, OH so I can take advantage of the deliver-to-store savings.

BTW, it is pronounced menARDS

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The store in Chillicothe, Ohio, note that the photo is less than one third the width of the whole store:

1942146655_Fontentrance.jpg.d24e06012d85fbb18eff8339eac9bc62.jpg

The interior; about an eight of the whole store:550324660_Interiorview.jpg.36befba29698075223067890840f8403.jpg

The train aisle, all fifty feet or so of it:

1480914716_Trainislelookingleft.jpg.2fc3aa0c18330863f32ad9c5b120b865.jpg

One of their buildings, I have this one in O:

1508295861_RedOwlbuildinginHO.jpg.340a360946ca21aa407034c19741be9f.jpg

As you can see, trains are NOT a big part of Menards product lines! I have mail-ordered a couple of their buildings with free delivery to the store for pick-up in the store as I can save the shipping and handling charges and only pay the Ohio sales tax; considerably less than the s&h. Note that the Chilicothe store is the nearest to me at 425 miles; I pass about a mile or so from it on my way to and from Springfield, OH so I can take advantage of the deliver-to-store savings.

BTW, it is pronounced menARDS

I did say it was a sideline! US modelling websites refer to it as “the owner’s little hobby” or “a branding exercise” and they are probably right. 

Talking of “only in America”, you “pass by” somewhere 400-odd miles away, on your way to somewhere else? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Talking of “only in America”, you “pass by” somewhere 400-odd miles away, on your way to somewhere else? 

Sounds about right to me. We tend to refer to time rather than distance though, so we'd say "it's about eight hours away". Somehow that sounds less off-putting than "seven hundred kilometres".

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I did say it was a sideline! US modelling websites refer to it as “the owner’s little hobby” or “a branding exercise” and they are probably right.

A tiny little sideline; I wonder what will happen to it when John Menard passes on. Most of the products are aimed at the three-rail market; the buildings are nice and some fit very well on two-rail scale layouts.

9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I travel up US-35 in Ohio from West Virginia to Springfield for a hobby show and am only about a mile or so from the Chilicothe store on an intersecting road.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

tend to refer to time rather than distance though, so we'd say "it's about eight hours away". Somehow that sounds less off-putting than "seven hundred kilometres".

The simple way to express this concept from within England is to say “abroad”, which tidies away the idea of visiting the place under the heading “maybe if we ever go there on holiday, but definitely not otherwise”.

• Like 2

On the basis that it would probably take me at least a week in each direction, certainly not in order to buy a plastic model of a petrol station, no.

BTW, that Menards shop reminds me of one in the Simpsons which has the advertising slogan “Where shopping is a baffling ordeal” (which I think tends to apply to all non-hobby-related shopping TBH).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1