Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

image.jpg.bbab7672bcbef012771247f41b89054a.jpg

Tank Wagon Bible...

From which, on page 138

image.jpg.f6c511370aea467c47db87730208d85f.jpg

35 ton bogie tanker, 1929 vintage, built by Charles Roberts.  Deemed uneconomic due to limits on useable curves, as Kevin notes, only one built.

Happy New Year

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

20 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

The Darstaed bogie tankers included the Pratt's one, and Dave Upton's February 2019 Just The Ticket newsletter included a picture of the prototype in (as you stated) what looks like a buff-with-red-stripe livery, as was the Darstaed model. But I concur that it looks splendid in green.

I seem to recall from a book on oil tank wagons, that Pratt's in fact had only one bogie tank wagon, and that wagon became the one and only pre-war Esso bogie tank wagon, so technically  (subject, of course, to Rule 1) those two wagons can't appear in the same train...

Gordon

But Gordon, does Rule One apply to toy trains?

Happy New Year.:good:

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don,

I agree it is in the "Deliberately Old Fashioned" style, but there are a few tell-tales that suggest that the filming is not much more than 20 years old.

I am very impressed by by that layout and I sort of aspire to have something similar - but without moving house I don't have sufficient available space!!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The big green petrol wagon that I got for Christmas, and a chat on the classic 0 forum have made me get out some more wagons made by Bernard Ridgeley, and add some from Detek Strickland, who trades as Progress Products, to stage a scene from Southampton Docks (it really needs a boat picture in rear).

3DEC1A60-81F8-4F79-A2CC-31C8F718D5A2.jpeg.8ee9c0e138e788367647c6163cab4917.jpeg

The huge ballast hopper is from BR, as are the loco coal wagon, covered hopper, and bogie brake in front. The cable-drum wagon and replica Hornby refrigerator van are from DS.

Very lucky we are to have ‘minor revivalists’ alongside the comparatively big boys at Ace, who provided the petrol tanker lurking at the back.

Is this actually Tidmouth Docks?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Well, let’s all hope that, when we emerge from the other end of what feels like rather a long tunnel, 2021 proves to be sunlit and full of cheer for all.

83BC16FF-448F-4C3C-A715-BC40A95F82E3.jpeg

Well, if it brings us 57ft elliptical-roofed LNWR corridor carriages like those it won't be all bad!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, if it brings us 57ft elliptical-roofed LNWR corridor carriages like those it won't be all bad!

Someone at BL liked them, because they commissioned them from Bing as part of the 1921 series, to go with the re-released King George the Fifth. Nowadays, the locos are common, but the coaches much less so, and priced accordingly - see ebay, where there is a pair for sale right now.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/12/2020 at 20:30, St Enodoc said:

I have no beard but I do have a moustache, which I grew when I started University (just because I could) and have worn ever since. I've decided that on the first day of my retirement it will be shaved off.

my beard was, as is my habit, removed over Christmas.  I now have at least the makings of a new one.  :)

HNY!

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Much the same.

What the neighbours thought of a chap in his dressing gown standing outside on a freezing morning mowing his face I’m not sure - probably having a lie-in, so didn’t see.

One is given to wonder about the domestic arrangements that required you to do this outside on a freezing morning. Bathroom occupied by Mrs or a teenage daughter having an extended session pampering herself comes to mind while the desire to remove the beard had overruled any considerations of your comfort.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Were you driven to this desperate action to avoid the "Doglette" taking fright or just because of the grey bits that were beginning to come through?

You will be pleased to hear that the "Gutter Lane" terminal roads are now working. i'll provide some words and pictures soon.

Happy New Year

Chris H

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

just because of the grey bits that were beginning to come through?

He's being polite (I think); the entire thing was grey.

I've never yet grown a beard that wasn't annoyingly itchy. That is always the problem.

I'd like to come and inspect Gutter Lane, but I can't imagine that will be possible anytime soon.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A late reply to the bogie tanker thread ...we do a repro of the Mills version ...the lot ....and very impressive it looks too .Ive only built the ..rarer ..short version  as the other is too big for my layout .One still in the stock box I think !        Bruce

• Thanks 1