Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Well, between those four excellent photos, there are enough trains, in sufficient variety, to keep us entertained for hours.

Beginning with the fourth contribution: what are those two distracting pink things at the top, just right of centre? Its as if a chap wearing shorts is sitting under the table, revealing only his knees - which is the sort of thing that does sometimes happen at TCS meetings.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I like the Dunalastair there with its bogie tender, and the George in L&NER green!

Some nice Midland wagons there, too.

And another of those City of Birmingham Gas Department hoppers.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

The one thing, beside the scoutmaster's knees, that I'm struggling with in Mark's photo is what looks like an E1 (Cherbourg?). I don't think the E1 has ever been made as a "run", so presumably a one-off, and who had an 0 gauge LBSCR layout in "classic" times? W S Norris. Was it one of his?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Having seen the beast ,Marks E1 is a great little loco ..looks *right * . Would be we got Merkur to make one instead of thier abortive home grown , and awful ,Terrier ..which was actually much the same size .

As always a wondeful collection , and knowing Mark , everything runs !

Bruce

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Well, between those four excellent photos, there are enough trains, in sufficient variety, to keep us entertained for hours.

Beginning with the fourth contribution: what are those two distracting pink things at the top, just right of centre? Its as if a chap wearing shorts is sitting under the table, revealing only his knees - which is the sort of thing that does sometimes happen at TCS meetings.

Those knees almost certainly belong to Tappers supremo Graham Lock, well known shorts wearer.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

So, I thought I'd post a picture showing the things that are likely to be opening today...

Happy Easter!

Gordon

1948877621_SmallDSCN0322.JPG.6be6ee04af03ad819e126b0566bae717.JPG

Good Gordon.  Your scenery, bridge abutments, etc, complement O gauge very well along with a high calorie train from the Easter Bunny.:)

Brian.       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In view of today's news, I thought I'd post a picture of HM the Queen and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh seeing off an Ace Trains 25th Anniversary Special and a Hornby Railway Collectors Association Special.

The figures come from Andrew Stadden's range.

Gordon

651008758_SmallDSCN0259.JPG.659b5f576dbb23cfda22bc1e1322921e.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Very little going-on at Birlstone and Paltry Circus this past month, partly because of paying work, and school holidays, and partly because I injured my back a month, and it is taking an age to return to full strength, but here is an oddity that might be of interest.

I'm not really into "toy" tinplate, or Hornby, but this was for sale at a very fair price, and it is very cute IMO. Its a second-iteration early No.1, which somebody has heavily restored, I think probably quite  a while back. The tender is a copy in brass, the cab roof is a replacement, and the livery shouldn't be taken seriously - blue (Caledonian) was only made for c2 years 1921-23, and I suspect that our restorer fancied reproducing a rarity. It will do about 35-40ft with those two Fandor coaches, or about 60-80ft light-engine, so not a mega-hauler, but maybe ten laps of a 1ft radius circle with two of the lighter Hornby equivalent coaches when new, which was probably acceptable.

5473C97C-BA0D-4D5C-8F81-B88574BA12AE.jpeg

3F7CB034-E11C-4F75-A903-CB1F2AF24C5E.jpeg

I think possibly it is a preserved train, making an excursion to Birlstone. In a minute, fifty chaps in gaberdine raincoats, each carrying a duffle-bag, will jump out and point cameras at it.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Not knowing what it looked like before, but to me it’s a very creditable loco, and much better appearance than some jobs which must be left in their original appearance however tatty because they’re collectors pieces.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I come here seeking advice on a hard decision to make.

As most of you know, I have in my possession a live steam Bassett Lowke Stanier mogul in very good nick, but its never run properly. The problem was thought to have been solved some months ago, but back in December it acquired a broken boiler bushing due to some ham fisted crossthreading. This put the engine out of action up until the present. However, it still wasn't running properly up until that mishap, being unable to keep up enough steam to pull 2 BL MK 1 lookalikes. Recently the solution to this was found, the one thing I would have never suspected. The fuel. It recently became known to me that USA denatured alcohol or meths contains less than 50% methanol which is a lot less british meths, generating less heat. So to solve the problem, I need to in theory by something called "methyl hydrate", which a guy in Canada uses for his LNER mogul.

So the big question is, do I attempt to repair the damaged bushing and possibly damage a small amount of the paint, or keep the engine in its current condition? 

All opinions welcome,

(and Kevin that Hornby is looking very nice)

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Douglas.I think the question you have to ask yourself is," do I want (1)a proper running loco or (2)a shelf ornament?"

If (1)

Go ahead and do the repairs,

If (2)

Put it on the shelf and admire it.

I don't know what the boiler bush is for,but maybe drill out ,use a larger tap and larger fitting.May not ruin too much paint.

Hope this helps

atb

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Photo of damaged bush would help.  

if you’re happy with it as an ornament, you can leave it as it is.  If you want to make it run, the logical course of action would be to retap the bush with same size tap, to clean out the thread, and then try it, possibly with either PTFE tape or a suitable liquid sealant, and a new plug, but the condition of the female thread is paramount, if it is not in good enough condition, there is a small risk of the plug, and boiler contents, being ejected, which might hurt.  

It’s probably fine, but it just might not be.

If you are not sure about the bush, I think you need to go find a model engineer, with some steam experience, to guide you.  It may be possible to put a bigger plug in the same bush, or change the bush, but that will be a serious strip down I guess.

good luck!

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

That would be a better/simpler situation, in which case I would certainly clean the female thread, and if necessary remake the male thread, and reassemble.  If the male thread is “sort of” good enough, a drop of Loctite will secure it and cope with the temperature - actually, 5 minute epoxy would also be ok.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Rafe Shirley one of the finest builders of live steam 0 gauge I have met submitted an article on repairing an Eddie Cooke King. The handrail knobs on this loco did not have blind bushes but were srewed into 10BA holes in the boiler and secured with loctite 572. Someone wrote in saying this was unsafe. I had passed the letter to Rafe for comments who pointed out that it had been built like that by Eddie Cooke a well respected builder, that some of LBSCs designs advocated the same and that he had actully replaced the boiler and fiied blind bushes to the new one. However he went one stage further and having estimated the force on  10ba as being about 5oz took a piece of 20gauge copper tappd it 10ba and fitted a 10ba brass screw this held 22lbs beore there was even a bit of distortion. He considered a safety factor of 71 more than adequate and that if your loco lacked blind bushes it was still safe.

Don

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2