Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Who claims it’s Hunt/B-L?

The auctioneer’s headline doesn’t (it says it’s in SR green!), but I can’t seem to access more details. Anyway, if it does, I’ll adopt my deeply sceptical expression.

In better news, much, much better news, it seems that The Blessed JA is to appear in a sequel to the proper film version of The Railway Children. 

Sad old railway enthusiasts of a certain age will be queueing round the block when that one is released (due out for Easter next year).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

In better news, much, much better news, it seems that The Blessed JA is to appear in a sequel to the proper film version of The Railway Children. 

Grief! Who's she playing? Perks? 

She did "Mother" twenty years ago, for ITV.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The story is apparently set during WW2, so there might be scope for her to play the same character as in the original, although I’m not sure that works in age terms ..... I think she’s c10 years older than she ought to be, if you see what I mean.

Bernard Cribbens could play Perks-in- retirement, although the same age disparity applies.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall look forward to seeing the new version of The Railway Children - especially with JA in the cast.

Regarding the ".....................King class which is in bad need of a good owner." - surely the kindest thing would be reclaim the wheels and mechanism (assuming they are useable) and then arrange for the rest to be buried somewhere deep?? -

I do like the occasional challenge, but upper works of that loco, looks to be so bashed and misshapen that the metal is probably stretched and irredeemable.

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 1

Saying it was Hunt was a guess on my part, after comparing it with the engine shown in the TCS western BL page. Certainly the frames and tender seemed to be from that stable. My guess is that it has been very very crudely rebodied at some point in its life. 

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I recently finished repairing the spring on my George the Fifth, so I can finally begin my clockwork garden railway project which some of you may remember. I suggest that if you do have a broken spring in one of these, unless you have examined the mech in detail I don't recommend trying to replace it. It also helps to make a plan first. The hardest part is if it breaks inside the mech like mine did. I had to make a new arbor hole in mine, then reaffix it the the arbor. 

This took two hours, but was much less sanginary than I expected, but there was some. However its running well now, and hopefully will continue without any more major maintenance for another 110 years.

Here are some photos.

IMG_2785.jpg.5916968c719870c1d1936080bef1e533.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg.141485d9e86d58877039bb7807c2c008.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg.0e20329b539f528a2185fc95f64fe028.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg.d820aad801351b7f1a6033ea00804c5d.jpg

The new railway will have a thread somewhere, I'm thinking in 7mm+ Modelling. The keen eyed of you will also notice there is now a spring of the bogie column, I did this to stop the bogie flinging off the track at high speed when running light engine. It seems to work well.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 3 weeks later...

One could be forgiven for thinking that Birlstone and Paltry Circus have fallen off the planet. Well, they haven’t but, as sometimes happens in the summer, being outdoors on a bike is proving a more attractive way of using precious spare time than being indoors.

Nothing new to report here, except that having acquired one Dinky platform truck, I was given two more, so like buses .....

CD5DBDDA-BEFA-4922-AE54-F8C9E9340565.jpeg.fa8810148a6317f998eb686e3f405a93.jpeg

Now the very good news, a herald of the return to real normality. Let’s hope to goodness that nothing happens to cause it not to happen.

6748214E-FB3D-4270-A29B-BD28E6223DC4.jpeg.cf3e312f6424b371ae481fdb608aa622.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I was invited out to play with a member of my local club last week.  The 'main event' was his NE region OO gauge railway, but, just as I was leaving, he decided to show me the guilty secret in his garage. I, of course, was delighted.

20210607_210832.jpg.9fb763ad3047745c62c6e52179d5a637.jpg

20210607_210906.jpg.d61427be080d4981ae9d01627260f7c1.jpg

20210607_210925.jpg.223edf7b975784ef04296f36bd0f67df.jpg

20210607_211120.jpg.8c567bfbe4c0e3367013dff3c5d8a439.jpg

20210607_210900.jpg.069ceae61b8e5ae77d2d181068d83614.jpg

20210607_211138.jpg.df0ac54951ce7018c753147ef7a3be73.jpg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Nothing new here, I said, and a day later what happens?

A volcanic eruption in the goods yard, that’s what. My daughter’s doing.

Ah well, if we're talking homework projects-  not railway modelling, but Younger Child (year 4) got asked to make a model of a robot during the mini-lockdown last November.  With a load of boxes (thanks to everything coming via post), we got a little carried away and made a robot costume. 

And then further carried away by quickly staging a forced perspective shoot, with her Airfix Quick kits, just before it was due to be (digitally) handed in...

BEN_BUCKI_Elle-Bot_2020_02.jpg.d353f94ed3ead0cc2c2b90d12ff2be90.jpg

Very much "Pacific Rim" but on a 60's BBC budget ;)

BEN_BUCKI_Elle-Bot_2020_03.jpg.d1b83771a0690c8d9bd94677d48d2c33.jpg

Perspective doesn't quite work as we couldn't quite hide the cars behind, but then we weren't allowed to travel anywhere better for the pics, so we were making do.

BEN_BUCKI_Elle-Bot_2020.jpg.d57f7f1831d34a2866cead93a8935413.jpg

And we wonder why the neighbours think we're weird...

:)

Sorry, I'll stop thread-drifting!  Back to the trains...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 10
  • Funny 1

It isn’t even thread-drift really, given that over the past few years I’ve spent about a hundred times more time facilitating school craft projects than actual railway modelling - I love getting involved in these things, but we’re now a tad overrun with Roman shields, castles, volcanoes, ancient Egyptian funerary boats, dinosaurs, great fires of London etc etc, none of which we have the heart to throw away.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Great Fire of London?  You have something left?  In my grandchildren's school they all made Tudor paper houses, then one day they were all taken out, made a town and they were set on fire.

We never did anything that interesting at school.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, GRASinBothell said:

I like it!

Mind you, a Google search revealed that it's been 60 million years since the last active volcano in the UK, so the rivet counters may have opinions on what livery would be appropriate for the diesel shunter in that era...

Gordon

More appropriate for our area, Gordon.  The PNW shakes a lot and mountains explode although hopefully not as violently as the one devastating the goods yard.  Lock up your locos!:bomb_mini:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Great Fire of London?  You have something left?  In my grandchildren's school they all made Tudor paper houses, then one day they were all taken out, made a town and they were set on fire.

We never did anything that interesting at school.

A couple of lads in our chemistry class dropped a lit match in a bottle of magnesium powder once. That was an interesting lesson - especially when the teacher had to bang the fire bucket of sand on the floor first, because it hadn't been used in donkey's, and the sand was one solid lump... :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

A couple of lads in our chemistry class dropped a lit match in a bottle of magnesium powder once. That was an interesting lesson - especially when the teacher had to bang the fire bucket of sand on the floor first, because it hadn't been used in donkey's, and the sand was one solid lump... :yahoo:

In our case it was the Chemistry teacher, who was also the head of Science, who dropped the white phosphorous - onto the old wooden lab floor - that started the fire…

…it is one lesson I can still remember :).

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Edwardian said:

School projects can include railways, however ....

Easy to dismiss it as a bit of toy-like scenery, but that layout is clearly telling a story. There's a mine on the far side, and loading chutes this side for transfer to water transport, and a fair bit of 'early railways' rolling stock & engines.

The layout has clearly been used to educate the class on how & why early railways came about. :yes:  :good:

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

35 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Easy to dismiss it as a bit of toy-like scenery, but that layout is clearly telling a story. There's a mine on the far side, and loading chutes this side for transfer to water transport, and a fair bit of 'early railways' rolling stock & engines.

The layout has clearly been used to educate the class on how & why early railways came about. :yes:  :good:

Well, you get a gold star for that.

Yes, from the mine to the staiths, the reason the first tramways, then railways were built in the NE, which fulfilled the brief, to take an aspect of the industrial revolution with the emphasis on the NE for some medium of display.

We even had a reasonable approximation of a twin tender Hackworth type running.

1486064877_DSCN4584-Copy.JPG.d5d75ae24c5612e26970e1de4b5ab4a1.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 3