NCE Mini Panel non-momentary inputs

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again tender, that's very helpful. I can understand what's happening very clearly now. I don't think that retriggering would be a problem as that would involve the unlikely event of waggling the point lever to and fro. Presumably the currents involved are tiny so there would be no particular power requirement for the resistor and a small ceramic capacitor would do?

Feedback from elsewhere suggested that I wouldn't be able to find a ceramic capacitor to suit, which turned out to be the case, but that a tantalum or electrolytic type would be suitable. The electrolytic is a fraction of the price of the tantalum so even though it is far more bulky that is the way I will go. The power dissipation in the resistor is in the milliwatt range so a small metal film type will do.

Many thanks to everyone for their contributions and assistance. I will report further progress on my layout thread as I develop and implement the installation.

Have you spoken to, or contacted Modratec yet?

No offence to anyone intended, but instead of all the various Heath Robinson solutions being proposed or contemplated, surely a very simple solution is not that far away?

• RMweb Premium

Have you spoken to, or contacted Modratec yet?

No offence to anyone intended, but instead of all the various Heath Robinson solutions being proposed or contemplated, surely a very simple solution is not that far away?

Ron -

Yes, I've been corresponding very regularly with Harold at Modratec over the design of the frame. I plan to use his auxiliary switch units which are designed to fit direct to the lever frame, and are most definitely not a Heath Robinson solution! However, he doesn't offer a passing contact version.

Unless I can get hold of enough DCC Concepts Masterswitch Plus units (I'm talking about a few dozen, not the odd one or two), which do accept a continuous input and do incorporate frog switching but were discontinued when the ADS range was introduced, the Mini Panel/ADS solution seems to be the simplest if not the cheapest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been thinking a little more about all this and I am now wondering whether the "RC Differentiator" might work when applied direct to the ADS-8fx external switching inputs rather than via the Mini Panel. If so, that would save some cost at the expense of extra wiring.

Any thoughts?

Archived