Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

Working on a limited budget plasticard would seem an obvious choice. A sheet of wood panel (plank) inscribed plasticard for the main body to save money the same sheet could be used reverse side for the chassis and skirt and maybe a second sheet of 10thou plasticard for the window framing and body panel details, cow catchers etc.

If your a tight git like me you can save the clear plastic off blister packs for glazing.

I am very much of a tight git, but how would I do the roof? With brass or something? 

For £32.50 you could buy the silver fox bodyshell for the J70 which is a bit bigger but similar....

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ger-class-c53-lner-class-j70-br-class-y6-steam-tram-loco/

If you already have the Caley pug that's probably the easiest way!

That's the thing, I want to make it myself. I also have no bloody idea how to order from that website, anyway.

Ah, I’ve been looking around on the interwebs and I noticed an A4 sheet of plasticard (1mm) thick. Is that good? Or should I go a bit thicker?

It depends on what you want to use it for.  1mm represents 3 inches (or 75mm) to a scale of 4mm per foot.  It would be suitable for footplates, buffer beams and the like but too thick for any components which would need to be bent.  Worth having though, just for stock.

Edited by Dickon

It depends on what you want to use it for.  1mm represents 3 inches (or 75mm) to a scale of 4mm per foot.  It would be suitable for footplates, buffer beams and the like but to thick for any components which would need to be bent.  Worth having though, just for stock.

Would it be good for the wood that makes up the "cab"?

I am very much of a tight git, but how would I do the roof? With brass or something?

When I build roofs for wagons or carriages I usually take two bits of oversize 10 thou plasticard and laminate them together with a slow acting liquid Polly cement like Limonene (other makes available) this I leave to dry overnight wrapped round a Pringles tube held in place with elastic bands when dry its hard and retains the shape and can be trimmed to fit. If you want it stronger but not to thick try a bit of 20 thou and 10 thou instead. Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Hi WaysideWorks,

Is this any use to you ?

attachicon.gif24cb4a131700e70c9ff900f210048ef9.jpg

Gibbo.

H Folks,

Three more links to compliment the above;

https://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y6.php

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.php

I would think that by using the leading dimensions and photographs that the above drawing might be adapted successfully.

The Dapol / Hornby L&Y pug would be the best chassis to build from as it has similar wheel diameters and wheel base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_21

Gibbo.

If modelling the 0-4-0 G15 with the skirts in situ, I wonder if there is any particular advantage to using a loco chassis?

A motor bogie with 12mm wheels and a 26mm wheelbase would be a better fit than even the L&Y Pug, and the lack of motion and the use of disc wheels would not matter. Admittedly this might blow your budget at c.£45.

If modelling the 0-4-0 G15 with the skirts in situ, I wonder if there is any particular advantage to using a loco chassis?

A motor bogie with 12mm wheels and a 26mm wheelbase would be a better fit than even the L&Y Pug, and the lack of motion and the use of disc wheels would not matter. Admittedly this might blow your budget at c.£45.

You're right, but as you said: It will blow my budget. And I already have a spare Caley Pug, so y'know, all I need now is the materials for the rest of the ruddy thing and then I can be on my way.

H Folks,

Three more links to compliment the above;

https://www.lner.info/locos/Y/y6.php

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j70.php

I would think that by using the leading dimensions and photographs that the above drawing might be adapted successfully.

The Dapol / Hornby L&Y pug would be the best chassis to build from as it has similar wheel diameters and wheel base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_21

Gibbo.

The L&Y pug is way too expensive. I'm only 15, you know!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This might be a silly suggestion, but if cash is a factor, then what you could do is make a cardboard mock-up using cereal packets etc, so you can work out exactly how much styrene you need, and how you plan to mount it on the chassis, and you can get all that development work out of the way without using the styrene etc. which costs money? What I'm thinking is you could get your eye in with the cheap cardboard as practice?

• Like 3

The L&Y pug is way too expensive. I'm only 15, you know!

Hi WaysideWorks,

I was fifteen once but that was nearly 44 years ago !!!

What I would suggest is to follow the advice given by Corbs, using cardboard is cheap and easy and will allow for cock ups not to be an expensive problem. You may be able to make mock ups that fit the chassis that you have before you start your actual model. There is nothing wrong with card as a medium for the subject you have chosen it would work very well. I would suggest that the shiny side of a cornflakes box would do for the steel components and the inside rougher side gives slight texture for the wooden parts, planking could be represented by using a fine ball point pen and a rule.

Should you archive the information for when you are older and have the money you could have another go at a more accurate model with the added bonus that your skill set will have expanded.

Post photos of your progress and you will get plenty of hints of tips if you ask for assistance.

I have all sorts of stuff that I made when I was a lad and it makes me smile despite some of it not being the best !

Good luck,

Gibbo.

• Like 2

Would it be good for the wood that makes up the "cab"?

It's probably a bit thick for that.  You can also buy plasticard sheet with one side embossed to look like anything from brick or stone to wooden planks in all different scales.  A wood textured plasticard of about 0.5mm thickness would be excellent for your cab sides.

It should be appreciated that motor bogies like Tenshodo SPUDs are intended for railcar usage. They move at railcar speeds, not at roadside tramway speeds. I did once see a Sentinel steam shunter at an exhibition which was whizzing backwards and forwards at silly speeds due to its SPUD power unit. A better option IMO would be a High Level Kits Flyshunter chassis although that too may blow Wayside's budget but something to bear in mind.

It should be appreciated that motor bogies like Tenshodo SPUDs are intended for railcar usage. They move at railcar speeds, not at roadside tramway speeds. I did once see a Sentinel steam shunter at an exhibition which was whizzing backwards and forwards at silly speeds due to its SPUD power unit. A better option IMO would be a High Level Kits Flyshunter chassis although that too may blow Wayside's budget but something to bear in mind.

Oh, I'm not really aiming too much for realism. My layout is a preserved line and well, the Y6 isn't preserved!

• RMweb Gold

Well there’s realism by having locos that were preserved and there’s realism by having machines move how they are supposed to. The realism they are referring to is the second one, Tenshodo Spuds are not good for shunting locos as they just zoom around all the time and aren’t capable of anything else.

Oh, I'm not really aiming too much for realism. My layout is a preserved line and well, the Y6 isn't preserved!

A lack of realism such as a loco that is not entirely true to the prototype is one thing and is very much the fun part of pug bashing.  However you might get  irritated by a little loco that can only fly around like a demented wasp. If I were you I'd save money by  using a second hand Caley pug chassis.  You can pick them very cheaply, they are easy to take apart and they run suitably slowly to look realistic on a branch line tram.

This might be a silly suggestion, but if cash is a factor, then what you could do is make a cardboard mock-up using cereal packets etc, so you can work out exactly how much styrene you need, and how you plan to mount it on the chassis, and you can get all that development work out of the way without using the styrene etc. which costs money? What I'm thinking is you could get your eye in with the cheap cardboard as practice?

Very good idea!

Yes the Caley Pug is quite a smooth runner though it will go like a rocket if you turn the power up too far !

Unless you use thick plasticard I would make sure you brace it well inside to prevent warping in the future - I made a body for Kerr Stuart KS4421 when I was about your age and 35 years later it's a bit wavy....