NCE PROCAB Problem

Dixie Dean

Hi folks.  I have an NCE Procab and Power Pro with a 5A transformer.  Sadly today, my 2 years old grandchild knocked the handset and DCC Command Station off a low table on which it was sitting.  The Command Station still lights up OK, and the handset comes on, but only displays what appears to be a system message "NCE PROCAB   V1.3 CAB ADDRESS = 02".  When you switch it all on and put a loco on a track to which it is connected, the loco moves.  However, pressing buttons on the handset doesn't appear to do anything.  The message remains on the handset and doesn't change.  Any assistance you can give would be much appreciated.

The cables have thin cores, maybe one got broken? If you've got some spares then try them

Yes, thinking about it I had a similar problem with my NCE Powercab on the cable where it joins with the telephone type plug.  Very vulnerable at that point and the wires get weak ...when it dropped that could have broken one.

I'd still try a re-boot as well.  Sometimes my Powercab goes a bit crazy with certain decoders (I actually think it's my layout wiring which was converted from analogue) but an unplug and reconnection always clears the system and all is well again.

If the above don't fix it, then disconnect handset and look into whether the ROM (a chip with a few legs on it) is properly seated within the handset.    The ROMs in NCE ProCab/PowerCab handsets can be replaced as part of a system update, and the ROM may have become partially dislodged in the drops earlier.  

There should be instructions around online on how to do this. 

- Nigel

Hi folks.  I have an NCE Procab and Power Pro with a 5A transformer.  Sadly today, my 2 years old grandchild knocked the handset and DCC Command Station off a low table on which it was sitting.  The Command Station still lights up OK, and the handset comes on, but only displays what appears to be a system message "NCE PROCAB   V1.3 CAB ADDRESS = 02".  When you switch it all on and put a loco on a track to which it is connected, the loco moves.  However, pressing buttons on the handset doesn't appear to do anything.  The message remains on the handset and doesn't change.  Any assistance you can give would be much appreciated.

It is known that the NCE command station is made up of two boards one of which sits into the board underneath it. These have been known to come loose so the fall may have parted or loosened the two boards.

With the system powered off open the command station case & reseat the top board into the connector in the bottom board.

I have not done this myself but have heard of the problem on the Yahoo Nce Group.

Hope this helps.

At least its worth a try

Mine was doing something very similar last week.

One of my throttles is a PowerCab. When I turned the system on, one of my locos set off at full speed, the ProCab throttle stayed at the screen you described & the PowerCab throttle switched into PowerCab mode.

Starting the system with both throttles disconnected then plugging them in 1 at a time sometimes helped.

I think it was something to do with the serial connection though. I had my PI connected to this port. It has worked properly since I re-seated the cable.

It is known that the NCE command station is made up of two boards one of which sits into the board underneath it. These have been known to come loose so the fall may have parted or loosened the two boards.

With the system powered off open the command station case & reseat the top board into the connector in the bottom board.

I have not done this myself but have heard of the problem on the Yahoo Nce Group.

Hope this helps.

At least its worth a try

Tony is probably right.  If you drop or sharply knock the PowerPro command station there is a danger that two of the main components become detached from each other, even though NCE have tried to ensure this doesn't happen.  The situation has got better but years ago we would often get customers complaining that their new command station didn't work.

The solution is to remove all of the wires plugged into the command station, then remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the metal box. Then gently slide the metal cover away from the rest of the case.  With the front of the case facing you, you will wee a large motherboard on the base of the case.  To the right hand side is a smaller daughter board which is connected to the motherboard by a stack of connectors - it is here that the problem most often manifests itself.  Check that none of the connections have come apart - if they have then carefully realign and plug the connection back in.  Do be careful to make sure you get all of the pins aligned correctly - voice of experience!!

When replacing the cover and the 4 screws it is sometimes difficult to get everything aligned properly so do diagonal screws first.

Hope this solves your problem.

Hope this helps.

At least its worth a try

Cheers for that one, it certainly did the trick!  All fixed - thanks

Archived