British Military Railway System BAOR / RAFG

Banger Blue

• RMweb Premium

These photos popped up on the RAF Bruggen Facebook group, I know there are a quite a few ex forces on RMWeb so thought they might be of interest. (Shared with permission of the poster)

It seems that now that the Army have moved out of Javelin Barracks, (the former RAF Bruggen) they have started to dismantle the internal railway system.

post-6818-0-83352700-1488399255_thumb.jpg

post-6818-0-71372000-1488399278_thumb.jpg

post-6818-0-78343600-1488399303_thumb.jpg

post-6818-0-17636800-1488399326_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately when I was posted to RAF Bruggen in the late nineties, the rail system was (or appeared to be ) OOU and to be honest there were a lot more things on my interest list!!!

Having a quick Google today, the Railway was operated by 79 Railway Squadron, Royal Corps of Transport and apparently connected to the German rail network at Arsbeck (where there was also a BAOR depot). The following website has more info, details on the depots and track layouts:

http://www.eisenbahn-in-dalheim.de/assets/depot/e/index.htm

As an aside, you may know that the former RAF Wildenwrath is now home to the large Siemens railway testing area, on the following webpage has a three minute (ish) video (in German)showing various parts of the establishment, mainly overseas stock is seen but there are several shots of Class 380 and 700 on test.

http://www.mobility.siemens.com/mobility/global/de/services/qualification-services/testzentren-fuer-bahnsysteme/pruef-und-validationscenter/Seiten/pruef-und-validationscenter.aspx

Would be great to hear from anyone who has seen the railway operational or was indeed a member of 79 Railway Sqn RCT.

• RMweb Premium

I was a civie based at Rheindahlen in the mid 1980's. There was a model railway club at Rheindahlen, based in a small building that had previously been used by SSVC. They had a fixed OO roundy-roundy layout in there. However, I also visited the model railway club at RAF Bruggen. They were building an N gauge layout in an old carriage on a siding at the far end of the track inside the base. A long mains cable ran into a nearby shed, but sometimes the carriage was shunted out of reach of the mains socket, so we had to turn round and drive home again on those evenings. I never saw what shunted it, or why though.

The carriage was one of the old german express vehicles with the two separate doors at each end. It had been stripped internally, but still had a bunker full of coal underneath for the stove that would have been there originally. The carriage was one of a pair that had previously been located at RAF Wildenrath where they were stripped internally and used as a club/disco. When its disco life was over, it was quietly moved across to RAF Bruggen. This meant moving a rusty old vehicle with no brakes along a short section of DB metals between the two branch lines to the bases. Apparently the move was lubricated by delivery of a crate of beer to the local signal box.

The branch from the main line to  RAF Bruggen was regularly pulled up and relaid as an exercise for the railway engineers.

• RMweb Gold

I was a civie based at Rheindahlen in the mid 1980's. There was a model railway club at Rheindahlen, based in a small building that had previously been used by SSVC.

Hi Ian,

Interesting that the Model Railway Club has carried on for so long.

My father was a member of this club in the late 50's and we spent quite a few evenings (and Saturdays) at the club!

Initially the club was not in the SSVC building as they were still using it.

From memory the first room used was in the basement of one of the office blocks used by JHQ - but it's over 55 years ago so I may have got that wrong.

I do remember going through a double security door, then down some stairs and along a corridor to reach it.

We lived off base in one of the high rise (for the time) that were let to the RAF as married quarters.

Tried looking at Google Earth to see if I could spot the loaction, no joy.

The road had the high rises on both sides and curved round and down to an main road which had the Kindergarten opposite the junction and a park behind it.

Such are memories! I will have to see if there is some clue in Mum and Dads effects.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

These photos popped up on the RAF Bruggen Facebook group, I know there are a quite a few ex forces on RMWeb so thought they might be of interest. (Shared with permission of the poster)

It seems that now that the Army have moved out of Javelin Barracks, (the former RAF Bruggen) they have started to dismantle the internal railway system.

attachicon.gifIMG_0744.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0745.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0746.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0747.JPG

Unfortunately when I was posted to RAF Bruggen in the late nineties, the rail system was (or appeared to be ) OOU and to be honest there were a lot more things on my interest list!!!

Having a quick Google today, the Railway was operated by 79 Railway Squadron, Royal Corps of Transport and apparently connected to the German rail network at Arsbeck (where there was also a BAOR depot). The following website has more info, details on the depots and track layouts:

As an aside, you may know that the former RAF Wildenwrath is now home to the large Siemens railway testing area, on the following webpage has a three minute (ish) video (in German)showing various parts of the establishment, mainly overseas stock is seen but there are several shots of Class 380 and 700 on test.

http://www.mobility.siemens.com/mobility/global/de/services/qualification-services/testzentren-fuer-bahnsysteme/pruef-und-validationscenter/Seiten/pruef-und-validationscenter.aspx

Would be great to hear from anyone who has seen the railway operational or was indeed a member of 79 Railway Sqn RCT.

Hello, I served with 79 Rly Sqn in the early 70's. I only visited RAF Bruggen on one occasion. I don't remember the year, but I know it was seriously hot, weather wise.  Three loco crew members were sent, I was the new boy, to assist the RAF in a base excercise. We spent two nights there in the lap of luxury. We crewed the loco in our shirt sleeves while the poor RAF were in full NBC kit, we were just a little bit smug. lol. I noticed one chap, he was driving an Eager Beaver forklift truck, keep stopping and looking at the engine so I invited him onto the footplate. We had a chat and he asked me if he could have a drive of the loco, A Barclay 275, I think, although it was 40 odd years ago. I told him yes, If I could have a go on his Eager Beaver, he agreed, so we spent a good hour or so rattling up and down one of the sidings, followed by me bouncing all over the road on his FLT. 

Archived