Legomanbiffo earth movers fitting questions

RD400

My first EM2 fitted Baccy 47 is finally complete !  It was a lot of work - far more than doing a 37, the biggest issue was getting the drive shafts to clear the rear of the bogie housing assemblies, the motor now being fitted so low to allow a deep enough chassis recess for the speaker,so the body would fit on properly.  I had to resort to cutting a piece off the top of each bogie housing so the drive shafts would clear without fouling. 

All I need now is the 47/7 MN re-blown file I ordered , it's running in at present using a 37/4 one !!  with the body on it sounds mighty impressive....................

post-2215-0-11573300-1512323791_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-27134800-1512323855_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What have you done with the circuit board there tractor? Is the decoder mounted to a cut down pcb, and then hard wired to some copper clad??

The original circuit board is discarded and an ESU adapter board 51968 as photo above is used.

The loco is now fully complete with Biff's MN 47/7 file loaded.

Sound wise ? TBH I prefer the EM2 in a 37 where it suits the engine character of the PM better the slight loss of high frequency sounds being more noticeable on a 47....perhaps an additional speaker would help that ?

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

I agree tractor, from what I’ve heard both on the stands and on YouTube, I prefer the 47 with Biff’s arrangement of an em1, and 20x40 fully enclosed.

I think the 37 sounds remarkable with an EM2, and probably a 31 and others too, but I think I’ll go down another route for my 47s, and EM2 the 37s

Thanks guys.

I agree tractor, from what I’ve heard both on the stands and on YouTube, I prefer the 47 with Biff’s arrangement of an em1, and 20x40 fully enclosed.

I think the 37 sounds remarkable with an EM2, and probably a 31 and others too, but I think I’ll go down another route for my 47s, and EM2 the 37s

Yes I think I may try an EM1 + 20x40 in my next 47 conversion, although finding space for an EM1 may prove a challenge, it might fit in the under frame tanks depending on what type are fitted ? or perhaps another hard-wire job...a considerable amount of work/mods was required to get the EM2 into the 47, an EM1 + 20x40 should prove easier ?

An EM2 fitted inside the 37 works really well, especially with Biff's WD sound file..................awesome................

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the 47 with an EM2 fitted.

I've tried them in a few things now and they're definitely suited to locos with a nice big thump, such as a 31, 37, 50, 55 etc. I put one in an MTU HST and it just didn't work, and likewise, my Rebuilt MN doesn't sound that great either.

I think the issue with the 47 is that it's got a lot of top end clatter (if that's the right way of describing it) and it needs something that'll produce the higher frequencies.

10/10 for getting it in there!

Edited by scoobyra

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the 47 with an EM2 fitted.

I've tried them in a few things now and they're definitely suited to locos with a nice big thump, such as a 31, 37, 50, 55 etc. I put one in an MTU HST and it just didn't work, and likewise, my Rebuilt MN doesn't sound that great either.

I think the issue with the 47 is that it's got a lot of top end clatter (if that's the right way of describing it) and it needs something that'll produce the higher frequencies.

10/10 for getting it in there!

I had a wee tinker today with some of the 47 sound slot volume settings, it's helped a bit turning some of them up, a bit more more to my liking now, although it's still appears to be missing any turbo whistle on spooling down ? when you close the throttle ..don't know if the EM2 speaker is the issue or perhaps just the way the sound file has been recorded ? but It does have a really nice powerful sound at idle, and also when powered up..... it's growing on me........

Edit: After some more tinkering etc. I noticed there is in fact a slight turbo spool down sound, but you have to listen carefully to hear it.............doh ! 

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently about half way through the fitting of an EM2 inside a 37. My goodness the cutting needs to be big! And deep! My dear I have right now, with the body just going on, is that the cones will hit the bodyshell. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Also, which end is preferred for the speaker to be at? Fan end or exhaust end?

Cheers

Andrew

I'm currently about half way through the fitting of an EM2 inside a 37. My goodness the cutting needs to be big! And deep! My dear I have right now, with the body just going on, is that the cones will hit the bodyshell. Is there anyway to prevent this?

Cheers

Andrew

Yes , that fate befell me !

All was well until fitting the bodyshell and hitting the F1 button .

Will now have to strip it down and cut deeper into the chassis in  order for the cone to avoid hitting the underside .

Future projects will have the speaker cone   directly under the fan grille .giving the best chance of  success .

Great, thanks for the rapid reply.

So what you're saying is just to cut that hole in the chassis a bit deeper to make sure it won't hit? I guess you're speaking from experience. Going that bit deeper will resolve the clipping?

Also how did you secure the speaker to the chassis? Superglue?

Cheers

Edited by campbellad123

So what you're saying is just to cut that hole in the chassis a bit deeper to make sure it won't hit? I guess you're speaking from experience. Going that bit deeper will resolve the clipping?

Cheers

Yes , that's the plan . 

I took a bit of a sabbatical when I discovered lots of hours of work had effectively come to nothing .

Its only now that I am turning my attention to it again .

The chassis will be stripped bare (again ! ) and I will hack away another couple of mil (must be the best part of 10 mil )

Before this happens , I intend to tie or temporarily fix the chassis to a bit of 2"x1"timber to stop it from bending or breaking

as the metal maybe critically thin at this stage .

I used Plumbers Mastic out of my van but I now intend to use araldite to stick the speaker which will help keep the chassis rigid when set , superglue is only good for sticking fingers together  :O 

I should stress that my '37 has a centrally fitted speaker something I now regret. such deep cutting might not be needed if the speaker cone is placed under the fan grille.

Forward siting of the speaker will also allow more room for the decoder at the other end .

Some of the other fine fellows on this site have helped a lot and there are a few pics of successful projects further back on this thread .

Hope this helps 

Albie 

Cheers

Andrew

So, what would you to pioneers recommend? Put it in the tanks or dig out the bastard file?

So, what would you to pioneers recommend? Put it in the tanks or dig out the bastard file?

Cheers

To successfully fit an EM2 inside a 37 the motor has to be re-mounted on the tank weight, the chassis recess for the speaker has to be just deep enough to clear the top of the motor else the body won't fit on properly, and the speaker cones. especially the round active one may foul the inside of the body roof when you "give it all the beans" ! 

I found locating the speaker in approx the middle of the chassis leaves room at each end to connect up the wiring etc. Deluxe Materials Tacky glue is ideal for fixing the speaker. A lot of work to fit maybe, but inside the body results in the best sound quality...!

Edited by tractor_37260

Well, the 37 I was fitting the EM2 into has now been completed. It's been a long, but very worthwhile exercise...one that I would definitely do again.

For those planning to do this, the depth you need to cut down is 11mm. This on first attempt, has resulted in none of the speaker comes hitting the bodyshell.

I have attached 2 pictures that people can use as references. I took plenty of pictures during the build...to many to post here.

The loco was originally a 21 pin PCB...so modification of this meant that it took a lot longer to wire up. If you ever plan to do it, learn from me...8 pin harness chips are the way to go!!!!

post-10018-0-91911100-1516228459_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, the 37 I was fitting the EM2 into has now been completed. It's been a long, but very worthwhile exercise...one that I would definitely do again.

For those planning to do this, the depth you need to cut down is 11mm. This on first attempt, has resulted in none of the speaker comes hitting the bodyshell.

I have attached 2 pictures that people can use as references. I took plenty of pictures during the build...to many to post here.

The loco was originally a 21 pin PCB...so modification of this meant that it took a lot longer to wire up. If you ever plan to do it, learn from me...8 pin harness chips are the way to go!!!!

Congrats on getting an EM2 fitted in your 37.

For the benefit of any others who may try this installation, an 11mm deep chassis speaker recess ? have you perhaps miss-measured  ?  the chassis is not deep enough on one side to remove that much, it would be left in two parts, and the base of the speaker would then also foul the top edge of the motor.  I found that the max chassis speaker recess depth possible was around 5-6mm. I cut the my first recess too deep, and had to pack the speaker up to clear the motor.

To get the best out of the EM2 I'd suggest that you get the decoder re-blown with Bif's WD 37/4 sound file.. they work really well together, wonderful growl ! 

Perhaps yes...a dodgy ruler possibly.

It sounds absolutely brutal when it's finished.

I had a WD file from legomanbiffo, which has been programmed to the chip. What a masterpiece...though I find it's missing the loud spool down sound that was in his West Highland...the wheelslip makes up for it though.

I had a WD file from legomanbiffo, which has been programmed to the chip. What a masterpiece...though I find it's missing the loud spool down sound that was in his West Highland...the wheelslip makes up for it though.

WH v WD yes I'd agree, but overall the growl and wheelslip of the WD version has the edge for me ...................the EM2 tends to trade off a little of the high end sounds (spool down etc) but the low end thump/growl more than makes up for that .......... :yes:

Nice job that !

Hop to do the same with mine pretty soon .