Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Same picture, but taken further away, seems more ....balanced....!

4952.jpg.088abf463d4a057b1502d264ae8191e8.jpg

Yes, the buildings on the left and the bridge on the right frame the scene nicely.

• Agree 7

37 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, the buildings on the left and the bridge on the right frame the scene nicely.

Exactly, the subject is both framed and balanced, where you are drawn to the large mass of trees in the first picture, then the curve in the junction (which really does look good in that picture) before finally seeing the subject of the train. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, autocoach said:

Oxford Miniatures has some rather neat looking motorcycles with sidecars...inexpensive too.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/bsa-motorcycle-sidecar-aa-76bsa001

And it's possible to separate the two without much fuss. I can't remember how I did mine now (unscrew or pull) but am reasonably sure it didn't involve cutting or anything very complicated. 

• Like 3

Hi Kevin,

After a pause bought about by some Muddles (non railway!) of my own over the last couple of weeks or so, I am starting to catch up with your exploits!

So apologies in advance, if I comment on a topic which I then find has been answered in the postings that I subsequently get to:-

Anyway, to set the wheels rolling (all 10 on each of them without the tender), i don't think we have heard anything for a while on your pair of GWR  28xx 2-8-0s? I think you said at one stage that the non motored one would become a static display somewhere?

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Is that a challenge Rob?

Just let me get my chainsaw and sledge hammer!

A chainsaw on steel tubing from the days of making things properly? 

We'll all chip in for a wreath! 😀

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2022 at 21:09, MrWolf said:

A friend was surprised that we are quite partial to a drop of wine, rather than the traditional motorcyclists tipple of brown ale.

He said was it Pinot Greebo?

What’s this about brown ale in my biker days bitter was the popular choice. Although one misguided individual had a penchant for London Heavy

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

My misspent yoof consisted mostly of Ruddles County bitter or Kimberly brown ale. If you went to a party a couple of bottles of Thunderbird red label fortified wine always ensured a welcome. No point bringing cans of bitter, it's not strong enough, unless you can down a gallon and girls won't drink it.

I have never been a regular drinker like some of the lads I went to school with, I couldn't afford it or see the point. We used to have a mad blowout at weekends, which looking back from middle age, did less damage to the physique long term.

• Like 3

Now a question for all you DCC experts out there.

I use the Gaugemaster Prodigy Express controller with a Zen Black chip (mainly for the shuttle settings) but Dapol have set the interior lights to F2 which on this controller is non latching.

So to keep them on I have to hold the button down, apparently, so I believe, this is an American based controller, and F2 is used for the horn hence the non latching.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the controller so I can use, say F3, for the interior lights and they stay on.

I have down much research to no avail.

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A chainsaw on steel tubing from the days of making things properly? 

We'll all chip in for a wreath! 😀

Just bear in mind then that'll be no free drinks at the bar and the pork scratchin's will be limited to three per 'guest' - and I use that word advisedly.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, KNP said:

I use the Gaugemaster Prodigy Express controller with a Zen Black chip (mainly for the shuttle settings) but Dapol have set the interior lights to F2 which on this controller is non latching.

So to keep them on I have to hold the button down, apparently, so I believe, this is an American based controller, and F2 is used for the horn hence the non latching.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the controller so I can use, say F3, for the interior lights and they stay on.

Thanks

I phoned GM about a similar issue, (F2 for breaking with Zimo Chips) and was told it cant be changed, but that was a couple of years ago now so a phone call to their technical Team, (Mon - Fri) may get you a different answer.

Great shots BTW Kevin.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I phoned GM about a similar issue, (F2 for breaking with Zimo Chips) and was told it cant be changed, but that was a couple of years ago now so a phone call to their technical Team, (Mon - Fri) may get you a different answer.

Great shots BTW Kevin.

Yes, as Andy says, I don't think it's possible to change the way F2 acts on the Prodigy Express.

So what you need to do instead is program the Zen Black to move the lighting to another function key. Page 16 of the manual https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/zen-black-decoder-manual/ describes the mapping between function keys and outputs. It's a bit techy... 😆 You'd need to read some of those CVs to see how F2 is currently mapped (and other F keys should control cab lights and compartment lights individually on the railcar), then find a spare F key and change some of those CVs so that the new key controls the same outputs as F2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

The issue of whether a function key is latching or not is a poor feature of Dcc.   While you can standardise on thefunctions on your own stock what about a friend bringing a loco or running on a club layout. Even worse is exhibiting a club layout where you can be operating other peoples locos.

Don 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4