Little Muddle

KNP

8 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Brilliant !     and could I order a signed copy of the eagerly awaited book, which would be great on the coffee table to show grandchildren what is possible !

I'll pre order one too. I've no children, let alone grandchildren, but it was seeing pictures of your layout that got the domestic authorities asking me why I didn't build another railway! 

It's a great picture, makes me wish it was a real place to be able to wander around. Or better still chug about on a "gentleman's motorcycle" as Sunbeam described their products in the thirties.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

The recent picture is now my desktop one, my daughter saw it and still keeps collaring me to do a photobook of what I think (or she thinks!!!) are my best pictures.

I did start earlier this year but with over 5000 pictures to choose from I ran in problems deciding so it got parked whilst I hung the washing out, then in, then out......!

My Grandson, Bradley, has also asked for a signed copy!!!!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, KNP said:

T. . . .  but with over 5000 pictures to choose from . . . . 

I bet you're glad that you no longer have to pay to get them all developed and printed. Mind you, circa 1938, you'd have had to do just that (unless you had your own developing facilities).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Interesting.  The driver was required to 'observe and obey all signals' and to 'have his Fireman disengaged as far as practicable, when approaching or passing a signal box so that he also may keep a good look-out for signals'.  The Fireman must 'when not necessarily otherwise engaged observe and obey all signals and keep a good look-out at all the time the engine is in motion'.

So in simple terms they both had to keep a good lookout for signals (which meant a lot more than looking for those things on posts etc next to the line) and to obey those signals.  But the Fireman had the get out taht he could be otherwise engaged as part of his f duties and therefore could b ne be expected to keep a look-out all the time.  

Don't forget that when it came to obeying signals on a loose coupled train it was the Fireman's job to operate the tender handbrake.

It seems to be a general principle in traditional railway rules, for obvious and good reasons, that for something dangerous to happen, at least two people, and often three or more, have to screw up. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

It seems to be a general principle in traditional railway rules, for obvious and good reasons, that for something dangerous to happen, at least two people, and often three or more, have to screw up. 

Some times - but plenty of occasions where one could manage it without any help (or hindrance😮)  from their colleagues although fortunately such events rarely involved passengers.  but of course there are instances where two or three, or even more, managed to get it seriously wrong with Abermule probably being the most significant example in terms of the number who got it wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

9 hours ago, KNP said:

Now, I think this picture captures the essence of what I trying to achieve with this layout.

Scenery with a railway line thrown in in the background almost as an afterthought.

Perfect, a landscape with a railway running through it!

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite layouts is Amberdale I was delighted to find Phillip Harvey has done a book I have the Ebook version. It has a lot of colour photos and details  which I haven't seen before only a few B&W ones in MRJ. I would like an Ebook of Little Muddle. 

Don 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

B&W suits this shot - we know what colour the sheep are.

Its alright I've got this one. Its a trick one and most people fall for it. Its not magnolia but pink. That's the answer the sheep are pink in colour. Told you I knew it. Can't fool me you know.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Pictures like that remind me of why I have collected so many wagons.

I see that you have removed the place name branding from the Toad, is there a way to do it without taking too much paint off?

Used T-cut on a cotton wool bud and just worked away slowly, changing it regularly, but and this critical only until the writing has gone.

Too much and you remove the model finish.

G/F pens can be used but they are fierce and do, before you know it, remove everything!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll give that a go, I don't really want to repaint the entire van, I quite like the rather faded looking grey against my other GW stock. I've now ended up with two all planked Toad vans plus the six wheeler. I'll keep the upgraded Mainline and Bachmann versions with the plating for a bit of variation.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, I'll give that a go, I don't really want to repaint the entire van, I quite like the rather faded looking grey against my other GW stock. I've now ended up with two all planked Toad vans plus the six wheeler. I'll keep the upgraded Mainline and Bachmann versions with the plating for a bit of variation.

If you find, like I did, that the cotton bud method doesn't work for you because it's hard to see where you're working and what's going on, try a cocktail stick shaped to a flat chisel shape at one end. I find it a lot more controllable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, KNP said:

Used T-cut on a cotton wool bud and just worked away slowly, changing it regularly, but and this critical only until the writing has gone.

Too much and you remove the model finish.

G/F pens can be used but they are fierce and do, before you know it, remove everything!

Railtec would make up Little Muddle transfers to go on the Toads Kevin. They did my Henley-on-Thames ones. Definitely recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5