Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, KNP said:

A couple of close ups to the revitalised autocoach 

5173.jpg.c03761aaa3b4e772e5b80a061fb3cfa9.jpg

5174.jpg.1fcb0a1865061c9f1ada5ade1a2e4131.jpg

It was only after I took these pictures that I realised I had a problem with the shirtbutton motif, it had gone cloudy!

Back to the drawing board

No-one would have known!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Ponthir28 said:

I like model boats. But I am thinking a Bristol Channel pilot cutter would be more appropriate. Years ago I had the opportunity to look inside a Thames barge and was amazed at the size of the keel. The owner dropped a tin of varnish down in the bilge’s, so he thought the only thing to do varnish everywhere 

One of my favorite maritime snaps.

Gaff-rigged Pilot Cutter  GBR 7484T Cowes c2002.jpg

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Work is underway in the boatyard.

Buccaneer is taking shape

but

bit of a battle due to the every part of the resin mouldings being twisted, warped, bent or  distorted only slightly but enough to be an issue.

So with use of hot water, cold water treatment and some hair dryer blasting we got to this point.

E45FE1E9-F1CB-4370-B1A1-9E9C83577BEC.jpeg.3086bb7c88d720fe3ae80fb08d3e1ba3.jpeg

Now happily resting in the harbour but with an awful lot of filling around the stern to do even at this stage.

Hatch frames next which I am hoping gets rid of the twist in the hull side.

Sorry but it's got to be said-

Your doing the twist again I see.

Yes I know I'm going now.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Work is underway in the boatyard.

Buccaneer is taking shape

but

bit of a battle due to the every part of the resin mouldings being twisted, warped, bent or  distorted only slightly but enough to be an issue.

So with use of hot water, cold water treatment and some hair dryer blasting we got to this point.

Now happily resting in the harbour but with an awful lot of filling around the stern to do even at this stage.

Hatch frames next which I am hoping gets rid of the twist in the hull side.

I have to say given the cost of these kits I'm surprised (and disappointed) there's that amount of distortion in the parts. As a few know, subject to my health issues and any other 'nasties' 2023 drops in my lap, I'm hoping to produce parts for a kit - probably a scratch-aid job - in due course. Because of the nature of this, it will probably be more of a shared project than a purely commercial deal but decent QC for the parts is going to be a priority. I've been there too often myself to want anyone being disappointed with low-grade/faulty parts. I know it gives you the opportunity to demonstrate modelling skills but I'd sooner not have to struggle with things I shouldn't have to. I hope things improve for you as the build progresses. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

25 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I have to say given the cost of these kits I'm surprised (and disappointed) there's that amount of distortion in the parts. As a few know, subject to my health issues and any other 'nasties' 2023 drops in my lap, I'm hoping to produce parts for a kit - probably a scratch-aid job - in due course. Because of the nature of this, it will probably be more of a shared project than a purely commercial deal but decent QC for the parts is going to be a priority. I've been there too often myself to want anyone being disappointed with low-grade/faulty parts. I know it gives you the opportunity to demonstrate modelling skills but I'd sooner not have to struggle with things I shouldn't have to. I hope things improve for you as the build progresses. 

I agree, don’t mind a bit of work but even to me this was difficult as I was having to deal with it in 3D along the hull side.

This is no model for a novice but beginning to shape up now especially as the filler has been applied and setting giving it a more solid look.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Such compaints should be dealt with thus:

Question1 - Did you live here before the noise creation thing started - if yes, we'll look into it. If no, tough, you should have thought about it before moving here.

Case in point (if it's not too rude to reply to one's own post...)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64481260 - the flats were there before the viewing gallery, so they have a valid complaint. 

• Like 4

I always remember the one about the indignant resident ringing up RAF Lakenheath to complain about the USAF flying low overhead. 

She said to the base commander that the jets were so low that she could see the white stars on the wings.

The base commander asked if she was sure that the stars were white and not red?

Definitely white! She replied.

Good, said the commander. If the planes have red stars on them, be sure to ring and tell us immediately...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. Some coastal traders (sail and power) were designed with flat bottoms so they could take the ground and load/unload without needing a jetty or paying for pier space. That's fine if you're talking firm sand but with soft or shifting surfaces (in best Leslie Phillips voice) ... ooh nasty ... 

I'm unsure if it's apocryphal but there was a story emanating from the Atlantic yachties about a wooden hulled yacht doing the east to west crossing about how boat timber could warp. The tale is that after days of reaching along from the Azores using the trade winds and enjoying very sunny weather, as they neared the Leeward Islands, the wind changed direction and the yacht changed course. Cries of distress from down below, as water was pouring in. A swift redirection and a somewhat nervous examination later, it was said it was a bad idea to sail a boat 'sunny side up' for too long and some of the seams above the waterline had opened in the intense sunlight. So that when the yacht heeled in the other direction, these seams were now below the waterline, producing a sinking feeling. Perhaps Schooner or Tortuga or another member with some blue water experience in the Tropics can either debunk it as an urban legend or say whether they know it to be true (say) because they know the yacht concerned? 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

22 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Indeed. Some coastal traders (sail and power) were designed with flat bottoms so they could take the ground and load/unload without needing a jetty or paying for pier space. That's fine if you're talking firm sand but with soft or shifting surfaces (in best Leslie Phillips voice) ... ooh nasty ... 

I'm unsure if it's apocryphal but there was a story emanating from the Atlantic yachties about a wooden hulled yacht doing the east to west crossing about how boat timber could warp. The tale is that after days of reaching along from the Azores using the trade winds and enjoying very sunny weather, as they neared the Leeward Islands, the wind changed direction and the yacht changed course. Cries of distress from down below, as water was pouring in. A swift redirection and a somewhat nervous examination later, it was said it was a bad idea to sail a boat 'sunny side up' for too long and some of the seams above the waterline had opened in the intense sunlight. So that when the yacht heeled in the other direction, these seams were now below the waterline, producing a sinking feeling. Perhaps Schooner or Tortuga or another member with some blue water experience in the Tropics can either debunk it as an urban legend or say whether they know it to be true (say) because they know the yacht concerned? 

I would certainly have thought of that occuring in 'older' wooden hulled vessels and of a certain design but not more modern versions.

One of the contributors to ER's is an amateur sailor and he has regaled us with his efforts to waterproof his vessels hull.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Fat fingers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ponthir28 said:

...drying out on mud flats...

Eg:thames-barges-at-mortlake-london-c1860-c

Thames barges at Mortlake, London, c1860-c1887. Two Thames barges are beached near the Ship Inn, Mortlake. These flat bottomed sailing boats off-loaded from sea-going vessels in the Port of London and carried cargoes up and down the Thames. The River at this point is still tidal. This section has since been embanked to control its flow. (Photo by English Heritage/Heritage Images/Getty Images)

dry-dock-in-lambeth-greater-london-1878-

Dry dock in Lambeth, Greater London, 1878. A sail barge in dry dock near Lambeth Bridge on the Albert Embankment. (Photo by English Heritage/Heritage Images/Getty Images)

boats-on-strand-at-low-tide-river-thames

Photograph by Colonel Gale, c.1890, showing barges grounded at Strand on the Green along the River Thames at Chiswick, London. (Photo by SSPL/Getty Images)

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

...because they know the yacht concerned? 

Can't claim this, but have come across the story. True or False? Yes...

True, hot dry weather dries wood out, causing it to shrink and seams to open. Seen more often in decks than hulls, though. Not unheard of for boats in marina berths (not changing direction every tide as on a swinging mooring) weathering differently on the south-facing side, including faster hull paint degradation and apparent movement in the planking. On long downwind passages boats do work and settle a bit, which also opens deck and hull seams. Add them together, and there's sound basis for things getting a bit moist on a final beat into a Caribbean anchorage...

...but I've never known it. Apart from anything else on a Trades trans-At (say Azores - Leeward Is, although last year we had to get well south of the Cape Verdes before picking them up) then the high side is in the shade! Add that to plenty of rolling and the odds of chucking a gybe in every few days, both sides get a fair old dunking anyway. So I'll leave you to make your own mind up, as they say...

Sorry @KNP, typically tidy modelling. Glad you're sharing tips and tricks, I'd have made a horlicks of it already!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2