Little Muddle

KNP

8 hours ago, KNP said:

So I thought I better redo the aerial view with the gate in residence....

Hot of the press

5302.jpg.59ee348fd0b11ac13483c4f42c0083e0.jpg

Wow a bit of high altitude reconnaissance there from the squadron leader. Hope he had his oxygen canister with him. Last thing we need is him passing out and pranging his kite on LM.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

When (or rather if) I grow up I want to be able to model as good as Kevin.

I would also like to stop taking blurry shaky photos with my phone

Thanks

One tip If I can about shaky pictures is rest the phone on something, hold your breath when taking the picture and my favourite which you would have seen me talking about is to take your picture further away than normal and then crop the picture so it zooms in - you get more in focus that way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Image stabilisation helps and is often available on the more modern bits of kit (phones or cameras). As Kevin, says, it's useful to brace yourself against something. Breathing, I'd suggest taking two or three deep breaths, then exhaling, pausing half way and gently squeeze the shutter release. And then finish breathing out... ;-) 

I would add, depending on the scene, if there's a lot of dark objects in the frame (such as black engines!) then it's often handy to slightly over expose a frame to compensate. And if you have that option and depending on the frame/effect you're going for, think about picking a manual focus option. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

When (or rather if) I grow up I want to be able to model as good as Kevin.

I would also like to stop taking blurry shaky photos with my phone

Likewise, although I find that growing up is somewhat overrated.

I have mastered the art of taking rubbish photos however...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

20 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Image stabilisation helps and is often available on the more modern bits of kit (phones or cameras). As Kevin, says, it's useful to brace yourself against something. Breathing, I'd suggest taking two or three deep breaths, then exhaling, pausing half way and gently squeeze the shutter release. And then finish breathing out... ;-) 

Have you been on sniper training? That sounds worryingly familiar...

20 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I would add, depending on the scene, if there's a lot of dark objects in the frame (such as black engines!) then it's often handy to slightly over expose a frame to compensate. And if you have that option and depending on the frame/effect you're going for, think about picking a manual focus option. 

If you're using a photo you can go into the edit section and enhance the brightness and contrast individually or simply hit "enhance" or "fix lighting".

I think that I am often in too much of a hurry when taking pictures.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Yes, I'm told it works for shooting a few guns as well... 

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

... If you're using a photo you can go into the edit section and enhance the brightness and contrast individually or simply hit "enhance" or "fix lighting".

I think that I am often in too much of a hurry when taking pictures.

Photo editing software varies, not least in availability. It's not always very user friendly for an ageing Luddite such as myself and I don't like to rely on it to fix issues with the raw data. I can usually cope with the first two rules of photography (be there & point the camera at something interesting) but some of the techy stuff passes me by, especially when I click on likely sounding options and the results displayed show someone's taking the *... 

I've taken pictures of various models and given the challenges (including getting a good depth of field) I reckon it's an average of 10-15 minutes per frame for a magazine quality image. Not just the technical 'stuff' but avoiding snapping telegraph poles sprouting out of people's heads and work gangs making rude gestures towards the photographer if he's so foolish to suggest unloading crates or getting a move on with replacing hinges ... you know the sort of thing ... 

• Friendly/supportive 4

19 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

...it works for shooting a few guns...

A few? Wow! I* can only shoot two!

*This post is to my own lived experience what 'Inspired by true events!' is to the film industry...

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4

21 minutes ago, Schooner said:

A few? Wow! I* can only shoot two!

*This post is to my own lived experience what 'Inspired by true events!' is to the film industry...

I don't see how he is doing that. The recoil was nasty When I went through US Army Advanced Infantry training in 1967 and qualified on the M60 we were never issued two M60's at a time unless one broke which was not unheard of with the training weapons.  Also it was a two person fireteam weapon with the rounds in an ammo box fed by the gunner's assistant. Nato 7.62 rounds are heavy.  We were trained to use it in fixed position defense. Not John Wayne style warfare.  FYI I was lucky and spent 19 months in Germany defending the Fulda Gap against a Russian/Est German invasion.  I never saw the M60 machine gun again.  I did manage 3 trips to London to visit my grandmother and other family. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Yes, I'm told it works for shooting a few guns as well ... 

The Marksmanship Principles:

1. The shooting position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

2. The weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort.

3. Sight alignment and sight picture must be correct.

4. The shot must be released and followed through without undue disturbance to the position.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I think that we can agree that the topic just went sideways...

Sorry!

I will add that there's going to be no point him looking for his loader when both of those weapons run out of ammo at the same moment.

Doesn't look like a full belt either, played with a GPMG once, a full box of .762 is not something that you want hanging from your arm.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 23/04/2023 at 06:33, Benbow said:

Nothing a bit of wire and binder twine wont fix. 😀

I'm surprised that the gate hasn't been fixed. Mrs Farmer must be worried about the potatoes getting out.

But then, it is LM I remind myself, where things aren't always often promptly fixed.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

That works really well in B&W, it could feature in a book on prewar GWR goods yards!

Although still reading the same paper there is no technical reason, as time is stationery in Little Muddle, why the chap on the lorry could not be reading tomorrow’s headlines!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1