Little Muddle

KNP

42 minutes ago, KNP said:

Now I have to say that the 93xx class is growing on me.

With that modern (1938 after all!!) cab it seems more balanced and purposeful than its predecessor....

5564.jpg.eafae3a63675dc131a4ed6b824ac3ecf.jpg

Note. The strut laying on the platform slope has now been refitted to the signal box smoke stack...sort of fell of when dusting the roof. 

I can't remember but isn't a stack what we used to call a chimney or was it a funnel.

Befuddled of the North.

• Funny 5

43 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I can't remember but isn't a stack what we used to call a chimney or was it a funnel.

Befuddled of the North.

You're thinking of pancakes, records, heels, or quite possibly ladies with unusually large...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

If it has a stay or two it's more likely to be a stove pipe.

Another term to add to the thesaurus...

Oh your going all technical on me now.

I'll just make it my word of the day if you don't mind. S is for sugar, T is for ......

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Welchester said:

Wasn't that a type of hat favoured by the Victorians?

A thesaurus or a stove . . . . ?

Hat, coat, gone.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR occasionally, years ago at work, getting an on-screen message saying "Stack error - fatal" and that would be that. 

Long since replaced by the much more ambiguous rotating symbol that my other half calls "The blue circle of death ".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, autocoach said:

If this degenerates into further "stack talk", I am going to look for a Southern Railway version of Little Muddle...

I might even start looking at those modern things that are reminiscent of buses without tyres.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That looks to me just dusty enough for a goods engine without looking neglected.

Is it one of the older Bachmann locos that's had the LM upgrade?

It is indeed, at this time in its life (1938) it would have been 17 year old so not in the realms of neglect yet......plus the GW held these locos in high regard for mixed traffic so would have been looked after....I've assumed!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Judging by the photos available from the prewar period, despite being largely black and white, it's possible, in my opinion to tell the condition of the paintwork just by the level of gloss.

For all his strangeness, Picasso is credited with saying: "I don't paint what I see, I paint what I know is there".

Which applies to a lot of modelling I think.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Judging by the photos available from the prewar period, despite being largely black and white, it's possible, in my opinion to tell the condition of the paintwork just by the level of gloss.

For all his strangeness, Picasso is credited with saying: "I don't paint what I see, I paint what I know is there".

Which applies to a lot of modelling I think.

Absolutely! It's easy to get bogged down in prototypes. But quite often we're forced to make compromises in scope, in scale, trees are a good example. But of course colour is the main thing. For me it's often a case of the P-way (prototypical) vs My way, (what looks right from an artist's perspective). 

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2