Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, KNP said:

Now the internet is back up and running time for the picture I was actually going to post today

Word of warning here the continuity of the next few pictures went out the window as I was moving the rolling stock around to get different angles and views...

5714.jpg.c6b3bf5403247db433b8122b2ef3aed3.jpg

And yes, for all you Pannier lovers, that is four of them in one shot.....

Careful, don't get to excited now

Only thing to better 4 Panniers is ………… 4 Candles 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

I only have 4???

You really must get out more! I suggest visits to at least four or five local model shops to enlarge your collection.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Another permutation

5716.jpg.284c4d7b082f536f65ca4bb5831bad3a.jpg

or this one

5717.jpg.e500f1799de02221ef26467780d724fa.jpg

The first for me - with the second, it looks too much like a missed connection. And a bit crowded, the first has a more spacious feeling. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I prefer the first of your two views because of, weirdly, the view of the rest of the room. For some reason, in the first shot, my brain is seeing buildings (unless I zoom in), but in the second it looks like… the rest of the room.

Nice work on the WKT by the way, continuing to follow with interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I prefer the first of your two views because of, weirdly, the view of the rest of the room. For some reason, in the first shot, my brain is seeing buildings (unless I zoom in), but in the second it looks like… the rest of the room.

Nice work on the WKT by the way, continuing to follow with interest.

I'm sure @KNP just photoshops in those bits of 'room' just to make us think he's posting photos of a model...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

There's an awful lot of potential to be had out of upgrading one of the later incarnations of the venerable Hornby 2721 as @Mikkel and others have done (and I've been gathering detail parts for).

Just saying....

WKT is looking very good indeed, the pipe connections for the nasty stuff are a work of art.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I'm sure @KNP just photoshops in those bits of 'room' just to make us think he's posting photos of a model...

The bits of room are photoshopped in I think.

One day we'll have the big reveal and find out that the main line extends a scale mile in either direction. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, KNP said:

I only have 4???

4 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Psst @KNP. . . . What about the one I sent you?

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Not forgotten...

Do you need to revise your 1st comment?🤔 🤣.

Ps I can confidently say my pannier collection matches the optimum (n +1) formula.

Having passed mine to the LM MPD, n = -1 👍

• Like 4

The formula only applies if you want to have Panniers though. If Panniers are your bag, then: 

N = X + 1

Taken as mentioned elsewhere from the Wolf - Spiers Theorem of vintage motorcycles.

Speaking of which, I am currently in negotiations for two more.

Unlike the stories you hear from the bloke down the pub about how his neighbour's mate's brother found a genuine 1959 Thrapston Flagellator (of which only four were ever made) buried in his garden, blew the dust off and rode it to Cheffins auctions, they're the real thing.

A pair of 250cc BSA singles from the mid 1940s that have been thrashed, bodged and neglected, before being dismantled and dumped in a shed for about sixty years.

I'll restore one and sell the other once I've put it back together, which should generate a decent amount of pannier tokens for the new superior 57xx.

Will I be getting rid of my Mainline relics?

I think that you know the answer to that! 🤣

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What you need to do with these old motor bikes is to a 3D scan of those made in the mid 30’s as you would have a ready made market. I’d have some for sure…

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2024 at 13:40, KNP said:

5714.jpg.c6b3bf5403247db433b8122b2ef3aed3.jpg

And yes, for all you Pannier lovers,

Careful, don't get to excited now

Is the Pannier delivering sheds?

Or is it a couple of cabs from a class 66

Edited by John Besley
  • Funny 5

9 minutes ago, KNP said:

What you need to do with these old motor bikes is to a 3D scan of those made in the mid 30’s as you would have a ready made market. I’d have some for sure…

That is something that I have often thought.

Unfortunately ours are two from 1949 and one from 1951.

One of the two I'm after is 1946, basically the 1939 model, but with noticeably y the wrong front forks for a prewar bike.

It does however give me an excuse for the next addition to the equation being about 1936, which would be rather nice.

It's all down to opportunity and the asking price!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That is something that I have often thought.

Unfortunately ours are two from 1949 and one from 1951.

One of the two I'm after is 1946, basically the 1939 model, but with noticeably y the wrong front forks for a prewar bike.

It does however give me an excuse for the next addition to the equation being about 1936, which would be rather nice.

It's all down to opportunity and the asking price!

Either way I am sure @Modelu Chris would be interested in 3D scanning for their offering .. although I admit I am not sure if there are any bikes or whether the 3D printing could commodate the fine detail around wheel spokes etc.  Food for thought maybe?

• Like 4

There were a lot more bikes in daily use rather than weekend toys in the twenties and thirties and also a lot more women riding than now too. 

There's a few white metal ones out there, but most are not particularly good, I don't think the sculptors could get the details or the engineering at such a scale.  

There's a few decent ones that can be detailed with work because they are real old stagers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153521759358?

But there's odd things to be aware of like riders wearing helmets, something that doesn't really take off until about 1960 and not mandatory until the early seventies.

There's a very good BSA M20 in one of the Airfix RAF bomber re-supply set, but it's 1:72 and a tiny part of a big kit. 

There's the old standby of the two bikes from the RAF recovery set, again 1:72 but the riders are moulded on and both giving a right hand turn signal. At least they work at a junction as static figures.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Either way I am sure @Modelu Chris would be interested in 3D scanning for their offering .. although I admit I am not sure if there are any bikes or whether the 3D printing could commodate the fine detail around wheel spokes etc.  Food for thought maybe?

You would, as other makers have done, need to manipulate the computer model to make the rims and tyres attached to the mudguards at various points to support them. I doubt that you could print a spoke of around 1/8" Ø at 4mm scale.

The art of compromise and all that. It would be a great project though!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

But there's odd things to be aware of like riders wearing helmets, something that doesn't really take off until about 1960 and not mandatory until the early seventies.

The usual headgear was a cloth cap worn back to front, to prevent it blowing off. I heard this from people who grew to adulthood in the 1930s.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You would, as other makers have done, need to manipulate the computer model to make the rims and tyres attached to the mudguards at various points to support them. I doubt that you could print a spoke of around 1/8" Ø at 4mm scale.

The art of compromise and all that. It would be a great project though!

Maybe some aspect of encouraging modellers to scratch build the wheels could come into, or a fine etch for the spokes that folds a couple of times to give some depth and gently pushes inside a 3D printed tyre?  Sorry my brain is working overtime now - as you say a great project!  Sorry for the thread drift ...

@KNP I dont tend to comment often as I feel there is not much I can add to the remarks that are passed, but as I am posting, congratulations on superb modelling, great detail and a very enjoyable thread, that I do read/check in to every few days!

Rich

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Welchester said:

The usual headgear was a cloth cap worn back to front, to prevent it blowing off.

Definitiely when I was driving my MG midget (modern version, sorry).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The exact same thing happened here yesterday. One of the Fox transfers decided to come unstuck after I coated the wagon with matt varnish. It was only after I posted it that I noticed it. 😀

• Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Definitiely when I was driving my MG midget (modern version, sorry).

I found the airflow around my 1966 Midget drastically changed at 50 mph . Below 50 I could sit in a warm air on winter nights with the hood down. Above 50 the cold air came rushing in . The same was true with rain which would get blown over the windscreen but  at a critical speed would be blown into the “cockpit”. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4