Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wow. That is truly impressive! I had enough on with cramming the pump into a sheet of A4, let alone about half an inch! 

IMG_20240131_220041.jpg.4e959bdf9af45a5c6493b9658baa5a1b.jpg

Very nice, can I borrow the design for the Exhill weed killing train please...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wow. That is truly impressive! I had enough on with cramming the pump into a sheet of A4, let alone about half an inch! 

IMG_20240131_220041.jpg.4e959bdf9af45a5c6493b9658baa5a1b.jpg

Many thanks for the sketches, without them as a basis I would have been scratching my head for a bit longer and probably ending up with a less convincing design emerging.

I have changed it a bit to take in the 'staggered crossroad' of large pipes leading to the spray bar that I could see in the few pictures I and plus the base of the pump was altered to what I could conveniently build.

Now to work out what colour to paint it........small problem compared with the build!!!

Thanks again for your efforts and help.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Besley said:

Very nice, can I borrow the design for the Exhill weed killing train please...

Thanks

Not a problem, we all have weed problems on our layouts so anything to help....?

I’m sure Mr Wolf would be happy to as well.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2024 at 08:19, KNP said:

Thanks

Not a problem, we all have weed problems on our layouts so anything to help....?

I’m sure Mr Wolf would be happy to as well.

Definitely, I've kept the information I gathered to replicate the pump as close as possible given what few photos there are.

I pieced the rest together from similar equipment of the right period, so unless a Swindon drawing surfaces?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely, I've kept the information I gathered to replicate the pump as close as possible given what few photos there are.

I pieced the rest together from similar equipment of the right period, so unless a Swindon drawing surfaces?

Once my ideas come together I'll drop you a note / message 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wouldn’t the pump have been bought in from a contemporary pump manufacturer rather than being produced by Swindon?

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Wouldn’t the pump have been bought in from a contemporary pump manufacturer rather than being produced by Swindon?

We think it was as there is a name cast on the base but we can’t make it out in the picture I have.

Swindon would have done working drawings on how they would fit it to and convert the tenders.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

30 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Almost definitely, something similar to this Blake direct acting steam feed pump, but with side mounted valve blocks. 

MAB1_339_4d780980-871d-479c-96c4-e1547c1bf04e_1200x1200.jpg.d936d47e61fd71a44f65787470474a20.jpg

There must have been drawings if how it was mounted into the tender body, plus drawings of the pipe runs, with mention of the pump type, at the very least. Somewhere it would have appeared in a bill of materials and in the accounts for the development shop or main works.

It may even have been repurposed from a water tower where the loco powered well pump had been upgraded once mains electricity had been installed.

Pretty much everything may have come from the junk pile, as from what I can see, the GWR didn't throw much away.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2024 at 07:49, KNP said:

Sneaking around the curve the local auto train heads on.....

5726.jpg.0bdee69b2743601949ee4e218f1e00e3.jpg

5726.jpg.0bdee69b2743601949ee4e218f1e00e33.jpg.e0ba8f4d0ae8db6a7254651198a83d03.jpg

Looking back at the above picture .... I've spotted this, 

No one would have believed in the last years of the twentieth century that Little Muddle was being watched from the timeless world's of space....

(Que the orchestra...)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, John Besley said:

5726.jpg.0bdee69b2743601949ee4e218f1e00e33.jpg.e0ba8f4d0ae8db6a7254651198a83d03.jpg

Looking back at the above picture .... I've spotted this, 

No one would have believed in the last years of the twentieth century that Little Muddle was being watched from the timeless world's of space....

(Que the orchestra...)

I've got Friesian cows on my South Hams backscene set in the 1940s.😉

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I've got Friesian cows on my South Hams backscene set in the 1940s.😉

Q: Why are those cows shivering?

A: Because they're Friesian.

I thank you.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

I once dropped my flat cap in a field full of cows..

I tried on 10 before I found my it……

Silly joke

Give me a pat on the head and send me to stand in the corner of the room in a lighthouse???

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, KNP said:

I once dropped my flat cap in a field full of cows..

I tried on 10 before I found my it……

Silly joke

Give me a pat on the head and send me to stand in the corner of the room in a lighthouse???

When I was a boy, around Guy Fawkes night, we used to put bangers in the 'country pancakes' in the fields behind my parents' house. Fresh cowpats were the best as they were softer and dispersed farther.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

5 minutes ago, Welchester said:

When I was a boy, around Guy Fawkes night, we used to put bangers in the 'country pancakes' in the fields behind my parents' house. Fresh cowpats were the best as they were softer and dispersed farther.

We did too. The trick being to bury everything except the fuse. Bigger bang, bigger splatter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2