Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

Just pulling in....

5739.jpg.f8b5722b8eb2db82f28ef88c0798b650.jpg

One - a bit nit-picking and hypothetical - query: with autotrain operation, wouldn't the engine and coach buffers be hard against each other to stop the coach bashing against the loco when braking or accelerating, gradients etc.? I know running a model like that could well be tricky because of the tighter than prototype curves we have to contend with but (as an out of ticket operations person on a heritage line) that leapt out at me. We never operated autotrains though and I've never got to a line which does when they were running, I know the coupling arrangements are a bit different, so wondered whether that would also apply to buffering. 

No offence or criticism to Kevin intended though, if I could model a scene like that, autotrain couplings wouldn't be high on my priority list. Just asking out of curiosity. Not for a friend - this time!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

One - a bit nit-picking and hypothetical - query: with autotrain operation, wouldn't the engine and coach buffers be hard against each other to stop the coach bashing against the loco when braking or accelerating, gradients etc.? I know running a model like that could well be tricky because of the tighter than prototype curves we have to contend with but (as an out of ticket operations person on a heritage line) that leapt out at me. We never operated autotrains though and I've never got to a line which does when they were running, I know the coupling arrangements are a bit different, so wondered whether that would also apply to buffering. 

No offence or criticism to Kevin intended though, if I could model a scene like that, autotrain couplings wouldn't be high on my priority list. Just asking out of curiosity. Not for a friend - this time!

But it’s an 87xx, so not auto-fitted.

Looks more like the engine has just uncoupled and pulled forwards slightly as a prelude to running round.

It must be standing in for a failed 64xx. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, GWR57xx said:

But it’s an 87xx, so not auto-fitted.

Looks more like the engine has just uncoupled and pulled forwards slightly as a prelude to running round.

It must be standing in for a failed 64xx. 🙂

I do love a nice 'get out' clause!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

with autotrain operation, wouldn't the engine and coach buffers be hard against each other to stop the coach bashing against the loco when braking or accelerating, gradients etc.?

Yes - the same for all passenger trains with screw couplings. That's what the screw is for.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Viewed from a different angle the arrival of the auto train into the station....

5741.jpg.c9b0d95765fc315ba5706e74cb85988b.jpg

Lovely shot Kevin and really shows the incredibly high standard of your modelling  

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1