Mentor the 2016 version

Hi All

Just before Christmas I was given a Lima BSK to convert into Mentor for a friend. Work had already been started by someone else and having looked at it I though I'm having none of that. So I made my own sides and ends, which made things a lot easier. This took about 10 days to complete. The sides are nickel silver with separate window frames with transfers by Railtec. I also have done the sides and ends for the original Mentor

33248995382_0d136220a0_z.jpgS4120009 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33364094176_0dbf1513b8_z.jpgS4120013 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33276449581_8dafc523c2_z.jpgS4120015 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane
Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Just before Christmas I was given a Lima BSK to convert into Mentor for a friend. Work had already been started by someone else and having looked at it I though I'm having none of that. So I made my own sides and ends, which made things a lot easier. This took about 10 days to complete. The sides are nickel silver with separate window frames with transfers by Railtec. I also have done the sides and ends for the original Mentor

33248995382_0d136220a0_z.jpgS4120009 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33364094176_0dbf1513b8_z.jpgS4120013 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

33276449581_8dafc523c2_z.jpgS4120015 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Nice one Shane.

Are the window frames commercially etched items?

Cheers,

Mick

The etches in their raw state, two side, two ends, including one shaped for the corridor connection and two roof observation window panels, nickel silver

32328906134_3b2f1c75cf_c.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Window etch, stainless steel, comes with original style mk1 frames. These will be removed from the etch as they are for the original Mentor conversion.

33055093461_735a8cdf6b_c.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

Original Mentor conversion sides, ends and roof windows

33055093221_943db5b44d_c.jpgUntitled by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

The price of the etches is £25 a set, not including postage. This includes a pair of sides,pair of ends, pair of roof top observation windows and enough window frames to complete the coach. The price is the same for either version as the sum of the parts is the same. Let me know by PM by Sunday and I can place an order next Monday.

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27

Would they fit a Bachmann mk1 at all? Sorry, I know you did these for your own purposes which was a Lima mk1, but if I was going to order, I would like to use the Bachmann base. Cheers

Yes, they were in fact designed with the Bachmann mk1 in mind, they are very slightly over length for the lima mk1.

cheers

Shane

Just a reminder that the order book will close at midnight on Sunday with payments due by the same time. I will be placing the order on Monday with an expected delivery times of upto 14 days.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a reminder that the order book will close at midnight on Sunday with payments due by the same time. I will be placing the order on Monday with an expected delivery times of upto 14 days.

Cheers

Shane

Hi Shane 

PM sent

Ben

Hi All

Many thanks to those that placed orders, the order book is now closed.

However, should demand warrant it I am prepared to do another run in around 6-8 weeks. Feel free to drop me a PM anytime to express your interest.

cheers

Shane

• 3 weeks later...

Delivery update.

I am informed this batch of etches should be with me by the middle of next week. All being well I hope to get them posted out individually within 2-3 days of recieving them. In all reality they should be in your hands just after Easter.

Apologies for the delay.

cheers

Shane

Delivery update.

I am informed this batch of etches should be with me by the middle of next week. All being well I hope to get them posted out individually within 2-3 days of recieving them. In all reality they should be in your hands just after Easter.

Apologies for the delay.

cheers

Shane

Thanks for the update Shane, I better go and find a donor coach now!

• 2 weeks later...
By now, those that have ordered a set of etches, should be in receipt of them, or you will by Monday. 

There is a minor issue with the 2016 version in that some of the half etched lines did not come out. They were on the drawing file but for some reason they did not transfer to the phototool. This only affects the vehicle end sections and one of the underframe boxes, which should be a fold up box. I apologise for this but didn't see it until I had the full batch done. There area number of extra parts on the 2016 version which may help with some of the detailing. These are for the fire extinguisher pulls and central door locking indicator lights. There is also a fuel gauge but this is missing the centre, that was my fault for not setting the layers correctly.

For the flat roof section I have found it best to use 30 or 40 thou placticard. The dimensions of the sections are thus - brake end 93.5mm x 33.5mm

Saloon end 105mm x 33.5mm. This should give a raised roof section of approx 58.5mm overall, approx 46mm along the top. These are approximate based on an earlier conversion. I'm not sure of the angle of the rooftop windows but the dimensions given should give you somewhere near the right effect. It is best to cut the part a mm or so oversize and trim them back.

Hope this makes sense, any problems let me know.

cheers

Shane

AN APOLOGY

I have just realised I have missed off a pair of window frames for the 2016 version. I will have these sent out asap to those that have the 2016 version.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Shane

Thanks Shane, this is the first I've managed to get on RM Web since my 2016 arrived. Just wanted to say thanks for producing these, I did notice the missing window frames but wasn't going to bring it up as I was really happy with everything else! Thanks again!