Animation and other gimmicks - but done realistically

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, but that MTH thing is having a go. All of the refined stuff we are trying to make has to start somewhere. Mk1 might be rough, but as time goes on we get better. Would we have dcc controlled lighting on locos if someone hadn't started by sticking a torch bulb on the front of a tinplate engine ? 

• RMweb Gold

There's some valid comments Stephen. You describe a mechanical sequencer, like those video-tape players of yore. Nowadays there's electronic versions of that, programmable so one can change the sequence fairly easily if one is bored with the old one, using microcontrollers. In fact, I'd like to use a pair of these very small servo's to animate pans rising and lowering in an electric loco. Requires some mechanical stuff (the free movement of the pan must not be impeded while raised to follow the wire height, therefore there cannot be a fixed mechanical link between the pan and the servo arm) and control it via an 8-pin ATtiny85 microcontroller from Amtel. The plan is to have 3 inputs and 2 servo outputs (which are actually PWM with variable duty-cycle), 2 inputs for front and rear pans and a 3rd to detect presence of a DCC signal. If not, a super-cap will provide power to precautionary lower the pans.

the easy answer there is to use the servo to push the pan down, once the servo arm is out of the way to allow the pan to raise then the spring takes over. I've done it with memory wire and got all the kit here ready to do one with a linear servo, just haven't found the time to do it yet.

Andi

There was a layout years ago with rabbits which retreated back into their burrows when a train approached.

More recently; last year I went to the Cologne model railway exhibition. There were loads on animated bits on the maunfacturers stands. Cow moving head, man trying to hit moles when the popped up, man with shovel.

Something that  have added to Hobbiton End as well as an opening door to one of the Hobbit holes and a moving arm for the waer tower. They all get positive reactions at exhibitions.

Best wishes

Simon

Archived