Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann 6 Pin DCC 36-568 Compatibility

BWsTrains

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are compatibility issues with using a Bachmann DCC 6 Pin (36-568) and either the Elite or eLink Controllers from Hornby?  I need a 6 Pin chip for several recent purchases but have vague recollection that there might be compatibility issues re using those combinations.

Please let me know of any successes or failures, there must be plenty of data out there given the number of Hattons 14xxs being sold right now and with the Bachmann chip being their recommendation. Understandably, Hattons themselves will not commit on the question of compatibility.

My preferred option of a DCC Concepts 6 Pin is suffering from a distinct shortage of supply problem right now. Other ideas also welcomed (+ where you might buy them :))

Edited by BWsTrains

Given that the Bachmann 36-568 is a re-badged current Zimo product, you are highly unlikely to have compatibility problems with it.  Zimo make some of the very best decoders available, superior in running qualities and features to most others. 

If it physically fits into the locos in question, use it.

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

does anyone have any specific experience to add to this?

Colin

I have that Bachmann decoder installed in both of my Bachamnn E4's and use the Elite to operate them without a hitch.

Edited by creilly81

Thanks for feedback so far.

Sorry, in a 'senior" moment I typed "Elite" when I really meant "Select" so if anyone has experience with the Hornby "Select" please let me know,

I have a Select also, and again never had a problem with running the E4 tanks with it. :sungum:

Thanks very much, most appreciative for the feedback

:yes: No worries!

The loco sshould operate just fine. The only niggling issue I have with that decoder is it seems to take an age and quite a few turns of the control knob before the loco moves off on it's slowest speed setting.

Edited by creilly81

that

:yes: No worries!

The loco sshould operate just fine. The only niggling issue I have with that decoder is it seems to take an age and quite a few turns of the control knob before the loco moves off on it's slowest speed setting.

That is probably due to default CV settings that you can't change using the Select. Should be able to change them with Elite and the Chip instructions will have which CV controls what factor. One of them covers the time delay before starting, another the acceleration rate.

Thanks Nigel,

does anyone have any specific experience to add to this?

Colin

I have  used  loads  of  these  decoders   with  many different  types  of  Digital controllers  they  work  if  it  says  decoders  are  NMRA  compliant  then  they  will work,  don't  worry!

• 4 weeks later...

To close out this Post, my Bachmann / Zimo 6 Pin DCC finally arrived and all has gone perfectly. Very easy to fit. Even using my limited "Select" Controller, my 64xx faithfully obeys all the various CV settings I've tweaked using the eLink. :sungum:

Bachmann documentation is far from helpful, just a hard to find hyperlink to The Zimo site in German.

So for the record, the 36-568 = Zimo MX622n and The Zimo downloadable manual covers this and many other Chips' CV settings

ZIMO, being an Austrian company, does have a website which opens with German language by default. Nothing odd about that.

Click the Union Flag to convert to English. Once done, it will always open in English (though not all pages are available in English).

Go to the Manuals tab and from the User Manuals list select the manual you require.

To make it simpler, here's the direct link to the latest English language ZIMO Small Decoder Manual: http://www.zimo.at/web2010/documents/MX-KleineDecoder_E.pdf

(That is, the 'manual for small decoders', not a small manual).

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

ZIMO, being an Austrian company, does have a website which opens with German language by default. Nothing odd about that.

Paul,

Sorry, I was not talking about the Zimo site, I coped OK with that but about the Bachmann site where it's not very friendly or easy to find the relevant manual at page http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/dug.php.

My comments were intended for others future reference and help.

If you don't know up front that Bachmann 36-358 is a Zimo chip, you can go clicking thru various poorly titled links on that page to PDFs for other chips.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

Sorry, I was not talking about the Zimo site, I coped OK with that but about the Bachmann site where it's not very friendly or easy to find the relevant manual at page http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/service/dug.php.

My comments were intended for others future reference and help.

If you don't know up front that Bachmann 36-358 is a Zimo chip, you can go clicking thru various poorly titled links on that page to PDFs for other chips.

Colin

Hi Colin,

No need to appologise, I was just trying to make it easier for others too.

I haven't see the Bachmann packaging for this decoder but other ZIMO decoders rebranded as Bachmann specifically state that they are produced by ZIMO.

I can't comment on the quality of the Bachmann site either, so I didn't, but you refered to 'The Zimo site in German' which I did respond to with suggestions I felt would make it easier for anyone to navigate the site.

So you see, we are both on the same side, trying to make it easier for those who follow.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 1 year later...