Graham farish 08 fitting issue!?!?

Wotan

Dear all I'm sat scratching my head , I've just fitted correctly grey,orange to motor input red and black to pick ups, no visible shorts or problems.

Put it on the track where it either just drives off at full pelt with the controller on zero or Shorts?...

Any one else had this or any ideas Why?..

Thanks in advance

Michael

Earlier you said you were using a CT decoder (because you asked for settings).   

Important rule for DCC - the first thing after installing a decoder is "programming track".   And that means a proper programming track, with no volts on it except during the tiny short programming pulses.   If the decoder will read-back, then try it on the main line.  If it fails to read back, there is a problem with the installation, and running it on the mainline may destroy the decoder.   If your DCC system doesn't have a proper programming track, then you have problems. 

In the 08 (and 03/04) there is a small connecting tab from the pickups to the bottom of the motor circuit board at the front of the loco.  That has to be removed or insulated from the motor.  Otherwise, one pickup is shorted to the motor.    Less likely to be an issue are the small capacitors on the motor circuit board - some people remove them, others leave them. 

- Nigel

Earlier you said you were using a CT decoder (because you asked for settings).

Important rule for DCC - the first thing after installing a decoder is "programming track". And that means a proper programming track, with no volts on it except during the tiny short programming pulses. If the decoder will read-back, then try it on the main line. If it fails to read back, there is a problem with the installation, and running it on the mainline may destroy the decoder. If your DCC system doesn't have a proper programming track, then you have problems.

In the 08 (and 03/04) there is a small connecting tab from the pickups to the bottom of the motor circuit board at the front of the loco. That has to be removed or insulated from the motor. Otherwise, one pickup is shorted to the motor. Less likely to be an issue are the small capacitors on the motor circuit board - some people remove them, others leave them.

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

Yes it's been done on a completely separate programming piece of track, the front tab you mentioned is isolated I've done an 04 succesfully , but something somewhere is causing an issue, but why would constant power ie the loco running without any control Happen? I'll take it completely apart I think and examine everything......

Well, on further examination, ie a different decoder, the loco works as it should so the faults with the decoder itself after all.......

Archived