Drone Photography to create backscenes

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking about acquiring a drone with a view to using it to capture some imagery to use to compile a backscene.

I have a theory that the elevated viewpoint offered by a drone will provide a better perspective than photographs taken from ground level - effectively replicating the birds eye view we assume when looking down on our creation.

I am modelling a remote rural location and am aware of some of the regulations associated with flying drones close to other people, roads, railways, airports etc.

But otherwise, I am a total novice when it comes to drones and with a good one costing at least £300, with camera, I am hesitate to take the plunge.

Does anyone have any experience of this approach or any recommendations? I seem to remember that the owner of County Gate (a large 009 exhibition layout) had used aerial photography to create his backscenes?

With thanks in advance,

Steve

I am thinking about acquiring a drone with a view to using it to capture some imagery to use to compile a backscene.

I have a theory that the elevated viewpoint offered by a drone will provide a better perspective than photographs taken from ground level - effectively replicating the birds eye view we assume when looking down on our creation.

I am modelling a remote rural location and am aware of some of the regulations associated with flying drones close to other people, roads, railways, airports etc.

But otherwise, I am a total novice when it comes to drones and with a good one costing at least £300, with camera, I am hesitate to take the plunge.

Does anyone have any experience of this approach or any recommendations? I seem to remember that the owner of County Gate (a large 009 exhibition layout) had used aerial photography to create his backscenes?

With thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi Steve, I had a friend with a drone take aerial photos of the location I'm modelling. As my model is set in a rural setting too I've also toyed with the idea of flying it at 100ft height (approx the height at which we view layouts at exhibitions) down the full length of the area I'm modelling, blowing the photos up via a graphics company and joining them to create the backscene.

Which location are you modelling? 

This photo of Heaton Lodge Junction (albeit 40 years after I'm modelling it) is an indication of what a drones photo can achieve

post-25007-0-79630800-1491464528.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This photo of Heaton Lodge Junction (albeit 40 years after I'm modelling it) is an indication of what a drones photo can achieve

Very impressive.  You can't quite make out my house, but I'm top left corner towards the centre.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks all for the replies, sorry I have rather neglected this thread.

Phil: thanks for the suggestion, not sure this will do the trick.

Heaton: I am planning to model the Settle Carlisle (Dent and Garsdale) I have looked extensively at available back-scenes but don't think any are suitable. The closest I have seen are by ID and they have a series of sheets showing Welsh mountains.

Quarryscapes: I saw the new OS service when it launched a few weeks back and it does look interesting. And significantly cheaper than a drone! Will investigate further.

Thank,

Steve

Archived