Platform Build

Hi

I'm thinking about my platform, here's a cross section of my platform, the red part is the roof, which is removalable so I can access the LEDs which will run down the length of the plantform. The station is almost a 1.0m long, so I'm thinking that it might be easier to build the roof in sections that way it's not so flimsy.

nxj78g.jpg

Now it becomes a construction problem on how to make it look like one complete section while providing access to the LED's should they need replacing.

I was going to use 1mm thick balsa to create the u-beams and round dowels for the columns.

Even while writing this post I see issues with a removable roof, maybe I can light it a different way, have the lights in the platform pointing up towards the roof. That way I pull the lights out from underneath the base board.

Any thoughts are welcomed

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

If the roof is supported by central pillars, which is how I am reading your very professional looking cross section, it might be possible to construct it integrally with the pillars and leds so that it can be removed as a single unit (or split into 2 or 3 smaller ones) and 'plug in' to locating holes that the pillars fit into when you replace it.

There are probably all sorts of reasons this as a bad idea that haven't occurred to me!

• RMweb Gold

Could you not build the whole of the canopy as one unit with your runs of LEDs in troughs on the underside? In the centre you could have recesses that plug onto the supporting framework.

These photos of Reading show how it could look.

post-14351-0-54525300-1491690554_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-63705800-1491690913_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thanks for those.  I guess it's the accessability of the LED's in the roof space.  My ideas were based on Crewe Station, although I was going to place the lighting on the central beam between the pilars.

29bj3t5.jpg

I was going to change the look of the roof so that it was clear and the bracing between the beams was a feature using wire

34q08zt.jpg

But I do like the Reading station, may this would allow me to make a solid roof that can be structurally sound to allow the roof to be removed so to access the LED's

• RMweb Premium

The lifetime of LEDS is very long, particularly in model railway terms where the drive currents tend to be low.

Just a thought, why not have the structure fixed to the platform and the roof attached to that frame with small magnets? Easy to remove and the magnets can act as electrical connections for the LEDS at the same time. The modern roof shown by Phil would be an ideal candidate. 

I'm not sure how to finish the station as the red line is the end of the base board. So do I extend the roof section to match the platform on the right or cut it as shown here. I was going to leave it open so you can see inside of the walkway.

xforgx.jpg

Cheers

Archived