Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

G.C.R. Model Event June 2017?

gr.king

Metal container of enjoyable alcoholic beverage??

Is not so much the container, more (the quality of) the contents that distinguishes between Keg and Cask :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341

Afternoon All 

Sorry we have taken so long to reply , Hassell Harbour Bridge all back in club rooms , tonight we will re-erect layout after tidying club , everyone's best pastime , had a very good weekend , enjoying our last away game , made the most of both aspects , playing trains and riding on the big ones .

We were lucky enough not to suffer any problems with the heat , layout ran at 100% all weekend , along with the stock , only one bit of damage GWR brake van decided to lose one set of axles , all fixed now though and back in cabinet awaiting its next turn of duty .

Sorry we did not come across to Deeping Lane and smoke you out , i will purchase one of your narrow gauge locos , very nice .

Thanks to all the people we met , and a great set of photo's have been posted from the weekend , and thanks go to GCR staff for helping , especially on Sunday evening , i think you did a great job of marshaling the traffic .

Cheers    

• Like 1

Though I've agreed with your post, not all are bad.

I've found these to be consistently good:

The Babington Arms; Derby

The Felix Holt; Nuneaton

The Booking Office; Edinburgh Waverley

The Counting House; Glasgow

But equally, The Bear and Ragged Staff in Bedworth is probably the worst I've EVER visited.

Anyway, s'pose we'd better get back on topic.....

Edited by leopardml2341

When I was at Leicester South around midday on Saturday there was plenty of movement. Perhaps they wilted in the heat.

Robert,

thank you for adding some balance, Due to illness, old age and even deaths, Leicester South is effectively a three man band. Despite it being a club layout, It has to rely on the kindness of other layouts at Shipley to supply operators. When we are working out the operator's timetable, we try to keep a good balance between experienced and inexperienced team members. Inevitably, there were times over the three days when this was not possible, resulting in a somewhat slower service for short periods. We worked hard to keep these periods to an absolute minimum, however, we take the view that this was only fair in order to allow time off for all operators in the prevailing conditions. As an operator myself, I am aware of when this can be the case when observing other large complicated layouts. Some time ago I watched a large East Coast mainline layout of some repute, with much larger resorces than ours, doing a fair impression of a diorama, fortunately, I did make the effort to return to watch the layout again, my patience was rewarded by a plethora of locomotive and train movements.

With regard to the heat at the GC event, this did cause a couple of problems. One of our operators collapsed from the heat during the set up on Thursday and we had some problems with overheating of systems on Friday morning. The solution to the later was the installation of three industrial sized fans under the baseboards, (no such luxury for the operators) this kept everything functioning fine for the rest of the exhibition. The unfortunate incident on Thursday reinforced our view that some short periods of slower activity was inevitable. We are not in the business of killing off team members, we want more operators not less! This aside, our only real problem over the three days of the exhibition, was again experienced on Friday morning. To our horror, a layer of moist grime had descended on the track overnight and set like concrete. This resulting in some stuttery running until the re-cleaning of the whole layout and some locomotives could be completed. This is an occurrence not experienced before, including our last visit to the GC only two years ago. Apologies to those visitors who witnessed an expert demonstration of track cleaning amongst the train movements, this was not  completed until shortly after the opening of the exhibition.

Despite the unpredictable conditions mentioned above, the layout actually performed superbly over the three days. I think that we all came away very pleased with its robustness. Your recollections are hopefully more typical of the majority of running at the exhibition.

Robert,

thank you for adding some balance, Due to illness, old age and even deaths, Leicester South is effectively a three man band. Despite it being a club layout, It has to rely on the kindness of other layouts at Shipley to supply operators. When we are working out the operator's timetable, we try to keep a good balance between experienced and inexperienced team members. Inevitably, there were times over the three days when this was not possible, resulting in a somewhat slower service for short periods. We worked hard to keep these periods to an absolute minimum, however, we take the view that this was only fair in order to allow time off for all operators in the prevailing conditions. As an operator myself, I am aware of when this can be the case when observing other large complicated layouts. Some time ago I watched a large East Coast mainline layout of some repute, with much larger resorces than ours, doing a fair impression of a diorama, fortunately, I did make the effort to return to watch the layout again, my patience was rewarded by a plethora of locomotive and train movements.

With regard to the heat at the GC event, this did cause a couple of problems. One of our operators collapsed from the heat during the set up on Thursday and we had some problems with overheating of systems on Friday morning. The solution to the later was the installation of three industrial sized fans under the baseboards, (no such luxury for the operators) this kept everything functioning fine for the rest of the exhibition. The unfortunate incident on Thursday reinforced our view that some short periods of slower activity was inevitable. We are not in the business of killing off team members, we want more operators not less! This aside, our only real problem over the three days of the exhibition, was again experienced on Friday morning. To our horror, a layer of moist grime had descended on the track overnight and set like concrete. This resulting in some stuttery running until the re-cleaning of the whole layout and some locomotives could be completed. This is an occurrence not experienced before, including our last visit to the GC only two years ago. Apologies to those visitors who witnessed an expert demonstration of track cleaning amongst the train movements, this was not  completed until shortly after the opening of the exhibition.

Despite the unpredictable conditions mentioned above, the layout actually performed superbly over the three days. I think that we all came away very pleased with its robustness. Your recollections are hopefully more typical of the majority of running at the exhibition.

I hope your team member was ok.

I hope your team member was ok.

Thanks for the reply,

I must say big thanks to the staff at the GC who had a paramedic in attendance. Fortunately, it was a simple case of dehydration, rather than anything more seriouse. Our colleague, after being thoroughly checked out, was able to continue with the rest of the exhibition. The only consequence was with regard to increased toilet brakes due to the amount of water we consumed over the three days.

• RMweb Premium

Operators at the GCR model gala deserve tribute for their work & stamina over three days, those on Leicester South, Bath Spa & some others were clearly a bit depleted and both layouts and operators affected by heat-related fatigue.

What to do? This has become a major event in 4 shows since 2014 and the first so badly affected by heat. Finding another event window outside summer season in both the GCR and model event calendars will involve trade-offs & clashes with other events. We recognize that other shows encounter weather conditions [eg snow at Wakefield - rare! - also occasionally at Stafford + flooding - and more].

I suspect with the GCR gala, better ventilation along hall sides and changing exhibitor rosters, ready [free] access to cold drinks and supply of fans are most likely. Accept that ageing exhibitors [self included] and visitors are more at risk and plan accordingly including the event risk assessments. Aircon a non-starter. Blocks of ice more likely?

Dava

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Operators at the GCR model gala deserve tribute for their work & stamina over three days, those on Leicester South, Bath Spa & some others were clearly a bit depleted and both layouts and operators affected by heat-related fatigue.

What to do? This has become a major event in 4 shows since 2014 and the first so badly affected by heat. Finding another event window outside summer season in both the GCR and model event calendars will involve trade-offs & clashes with other events. We recognize that other shows encounter weather conditions [eg snow at Wakefield - rare! - also occasionally at Stafford + flooding - and more].

I suspect with the GCR gala, better ventilation along hall sides and changing exhibitor rosters, ready [free] access to cold drinks and supply of fans are most likely. Accept that ageing exhibitors [self included] and visitors are more at risk and plan accordingly including the event risk assessments. Aircon a non-starter. Blocks of ice more likely?

Dava

Dava

I do think that something needs to change. There is much "word of mouth" on the show circuit and it doesn't take much for a show to get a reputation of "I wouldn't go there again".

I spoke to a chap last week who had been on a layout there. Some of the operators had to go home and missed the Sunday as they were feeling I'll. He had stayed with a couple of others, who then had to do extra work operating and breaking down. He had been ill for a week afterwards.

Hearing things like that may just put some people off accepting invitations.

I don't think the breaking down arrangements helped either. After a show like that, all anybody would want to do is to get home asap. Hopefully the vehicle may have air con, which would have been bliss. The 90 minute wait to get the vehicle near is exactly what is not needed.

I applaud the organisers for the idea and think that it is a show that has potential to become a major event in the model railway diary but a few things need to be sorted out first otherwise the people who trade and exhibit, having many shows to choose, may vote to go elsewhere.

Edit to correct a predictive text silly!

Edited by t-b-g

As one of the beleaguered operators on Klinkerhofen (three of us all weekend on a 22' O gauge layout) I can vouch for it being a tiring weekend - not helped by the hotel being extremely hot overnight as well. We stuck it out until the end but I agree with the earlier contributor that at the end of three days having to join a long queue to access your relevant loading door was not welcome. Difficult to see what the organisers could do to change this, though - not helped by a van being apparently allowed to load across the access path and blocking in four transit vans trying to leave and others trying to gain access. The plan was to break down the layout etc. then seek permission to get the vehicle in. That's fine if everyone adheres to the plan but on my way out to get my vehicle I noticed one van parked ready to load when the layout still had most of the stock on it!

We've done this Show for its four years and it is an enjoyable event in the main with friendly, helpful organisers and a wide range of traders and layouts. However, the combination of a largely unventilated marquee and a June date always has the potential for a weekend like this and I don't know if I'd want to take the risk again.

• RMweb Premium

As one of the beleaguered operators on Klinkerhofen (three of us all weekend on a 22' O gauge layout) I can vouch for it being a tiring weekend - not helped by the hotel being extremely hot overnight as well. We stuck it out until the end but I agree with the earlier contributor that at the end of three days having to join a long queue to access your relevant loading door was not welcome. Difficult to see what the organisers could do to change this, though - not helped by a van being apparently allowed to load across the access path and blocking in four transit vans trying to leave and others trying to gain access. The plan was to break down the layout etc. then seek permission to get the vehicle in. That's fine if everyone adheres to the plan but on my way out to get my vehicle I noticed one van parked ready to load when the layout still had most of the stock on it!

We've done this Show for its four years and it is an enjoyable event in the main with friendly, helpful organisers and a wide range of traders and layouts. However, the combination of a largely unventilated marquee and a June date always has the potential for a weekend like this and I don't know if I'd want to take the risk again.

I have often seen exhibitors at the end of a show who can see that they will be ages getting away and just say "sod this for a game of soldiers" and do their own thing, going against instructions. They may get away quicker but cause extra delays for others.

If I was involved in the organisation I would be looking to create space for a dedicated exhibitor parking space next to the marquee, even if it meant reducing the size of the show slightly. Size isn't everything in a show and there is so much there that seeing everything in a day was difficult if you spend some time riding on the train. I certainly missed big chunks as the show closed before I had got round.

I was there with a layout a few years ago and it was okish. The floor went up and down as visitors walked by which was not a good sensation and not good for an N gauge layout. I could have taken a layout this year but decided not to because I didn't fancy spending three and a half days in a marquee in June. For once I actually made the right decision.

I will continue to go to this show as a visitor because it is a good event but I definitely won't be taking a layout unless there are some fundamental changes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been twice as a visitor and really enjoyed it, credit due to all the exhibitors and organisers. I do hope the show contines as I like the mix of real trains and models with (for visitors) the chance to sample both. I'll stick my neck out and say I would be happy to take either of my layouts, not sure if they would be wanted though!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the constructive comments. I'm not one of the organizers, being a Friend of the GC Main Line and exhibitor, but I will undertake to bring the feedback and suggestions in this thread to the attention of the GCR event team and the Soar Valley MRC as it's important they can see and consider them in the early planning for a 2018 event. Which clearly needs to address some of the issues such as exhibitor parking access and contingencies such as very hot weather.

I have now done this. I also endorse my friend Andy's views below. We both work towards the long-term advancement and enjoyment of the GCR.

Dava

Edited by Dava

My own opinion, for what its worth, is that the arrangement with regard to the tent at the first exhibition was very effective. The big difference was the large open spaces present in the tent sides, that were covered with plastic sheeting at this years exhibition. The absence of the sheets allowed air to circulate around the exhibition and provided a rather nice view of the trains passing on the real railway. I've heard that there was some concern about dust being blown in with thie old arangement, Our opinion was that this just wasn't an issue, nothing of the kind effected our layout in any shape or form. I wonder if this was a perceived problem rather than one that came to fruition, perhaps others had a different experiance.

I do think that some of the most recent posts are starting to border on the sort of sensationalism usually associated with the tabloid press. A show getting a reputation indeed. I have been to all four events and, whilst one previous year the marquee was warm, none of the others fell on weekends as warm as this year's event. Let us keep a clear head, the GC weekend fell on the hottest weekend for quite a long time. There is nothing the organisers could do about that. In the British Summer it could just as easily have been heavy rain and thunder - wait that happened in the second year! I am sure many events suffered during that weekend. You cannot blame the show for that.

I take heart from the fact the GC had medics available to deal with those who did fall ill. They also organised the unloading to prevent a free for all. I sympathise with the exhibitors who would have had a difficult weekend and I am glad those who were ill are ok. As a layout owner, my visit would not put me off exhibiting.

This is the fourth year of the show and it gets better and better. The train service was much better this year and the much criticised flooring seemed much more stable. Let's keep things realistic.

FWIW I went to the first two shows of this event. On both occasions I found the marquees stuffy and humid. In consequence, despite the quality of what was on offer, I gave it a miss last year and also this.

It does sound reading the above as if it really is time for the organisers to seriously look into matters of ventilation and air circulation.

This isn't a dig at the GC, I've been a Friend and Lineside permit holder for years here, and hope some solutions can be found to enable the event to flourish and prosper.

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do think that some of the most recent posts are starting to border on the sort of sensationalism usually associated with the tabloid press. A show getting a reputation indeed. I have been to all four events and, whilst one previous year the marquee was warm, none of the others fell on weekends as warm as this year's event. Let us keep a clear head, the GC weekend fell on the hottest weekend for quite a long time. There is nothing the organisers could do about that. In the British Summer it could just as easily have been heavy rain and thunder - wait that happened in the second year! I am sure many events suffered during that weekend. You cannot blame the show for that.

I take heart from the fact the GC had medics available to deal with those who did fall ill. They also organised the unloading to prevent a free for all. I sympathise with the exhibitors who would have had a difficult weekend and I am glad those who were ill are ok. As a layout owner, my visit would not put me off exhibiting.

This is the fourth year of the show and it gets better and better. The train service was much better this year and the much criticised flooring seemed much more stable. Let's keep things realistic.

Shows do get reputations. Exhibitors sit around on the Saturday night and exchange tales of "I did such and such a show last month. What a shambles the catering was" or conversely "They were a great bunch and we were really well looked after".

Of course the venue can't control the weather but saying that all is well as long as there are medical people on hand to deal with people who collapse is not really something that would encourage me greatly.

I must disagree that the posts mentioned, were in any way sensational. As someone who spent all three days at the show, I can only endorse all of the views regarding the extremely unpleasant conditions in the marquees. I do think that this could have been helped by following the example set by the organisers of the marquee at Rothley station, just up the line. There, they opened up every second or third wall panel at the top, and dropped them down to half way. This allowed some air to circulate through the tent. How's that suggestion for 'keeping it realistic'?

Apart from the atmospheric conditions, the show itself was good, with a very good selection of traders and layouts.

Keg

I must disagree that the posts mentioned, were in any way sensational. As someone who spent all three days at the show, I can only endorse all of the views regarding the extremely unpleasant conditions in the marquees. I do think that this could have been helped by following the example set by the organisers of the marquee at Rothley station, just up the line. There, they opened up every second or third wall panel at the top, and dropped them down to half way. This allowed some air to circulate through the tent. How's that suggestion for 'keeping it realistic'?

Apart from the atmospheric conditions, the show itself was good, with a very good selection of traders and layouts.

Keg

I agree that opening up some of the side panels would certainly have helped. I believe that earlier in the thread it was mentioned that, at Quorn, this was a security issue. My comment about sensationalism was based on the comments that the show could gain a reputation from this year's event alone - which would clearly be unfair.

As one of the operators of Old Elms Road I must say that we thoroughly enjoyed the show - yes it was hot but not sure exactly what could be done about that (we are used to hot weather down here in Cornwall!). We were positioned opposite door 'C' which was finally opened during the Friday afternoon and the occasional through draft was certainly welcomed. That said there did appear to be a fair amount of dust floating around outside whenever there was a breeze. The water bottle vendors and the ice cream van certainly did well on the back of Bodmin Model Railway club that weekend.

A great show and made all the better for the fact that it was a 3 day event - the layout performed well all weekend (as did most of the stock) although we did start to see one or two buckled tracks in the fiddle yard during the Sunday afternoon and at least one kit built open wagon had started to visibly buckle in at the sides by the end of the show. Thanks to the individual who uploaded the photos in this post and to the kind words received. We will be at Manchester in December - it's never that warm in Manchester - surely!!

I have often seen exhibitors at the end of a show who can see that they will be ages getting away and just say "sod this for a game of soldiers" and do their own thing, going against instructions. They may get away quicker but cause extra delays for others.

If I was involved in the organisation I would be looking to create space for a dedicated exhibitor parking space next to the marquee, even if it meant reducing the size of the show slightly. Size isn't everything in a show and there is so much there that seeing everything in a day was difficult if you spend some time riding on the train. I certainly missed big chunks as the show closed before I had got round.

As one of the exhibitors in the South tent, affected by the complete incompetence of the traffic marshals at the Sunday breakdown, the simple measure of maintaining a CLEAR route down the railway side of both marquees would enable everyone to get in & out with zero delay. The gullible person who allowed ONE vehicle to park at 90 degrees to the North tent for over 30 minutes, thereby blocking all traffic to & fro to three quarters of the tent on the railway side, prevented layouts which had been ready to load ( completely dismantled!!) at 4.30pm to gain access until 5.45pm!!  We really enjoyed getting home after midnight. An otherwise enjoyable show spoiled by ineffectual stewarding & a complete lack of a viable traffic plan on breakdown. I can't believe after 4 years they haven't got a grip on this fiasco. 

• RMweb Premium

As one of the operators of Old Elms Road I must say that we thoroughly enjoyed the show - yes it was hot but not sure exactly what could be done about that (we are used to hot weather down here in Cornwall!). We were positioned opposite door 'C' which was finally opened during the Friday afternoon and the occasional through draft was certainly welcomed. That said there did appear to be a fair amount of dust floating around outside whenever there was a breeze. The water bottle vendors and the ice cream van certainly did well on the back of Bodmin Model Railway club that weekend.

A great show and made all the better for the fact that it was a 3 day event - the layout performed well all weekend (as did most of the stock) although we did start to see one or two buckled tracks in the fiddle yard during the Sunday afternoon and at least one kit built open wagon had started to visibly buckle in at the sides by the end of the show. Thanks to the individual who uploaded the photos in this post and to the kind words received. We will be at Manchester in December - it's never that warm in Manchester - surely!!

The hottest I have ever been exhibiting was at Manchester a few years ago. We took Leighton Buzzard and were upstairs in the sports facility. The poor old layout sulked like mad and we had a real struggle to run anything. I recall it was the hottest weekend on record for the time of year.