RMweb

Making my own bl#@&in' baseboard.

Ray Von

Point motors mmmmm there ae a number of choices

1. Peco can be side mounted using their mounting plate. if your points have springs in then used the un-sprung plate.
  2. seep motors have a good reputation but I've never used them
  3. tortoise good but expensive and they do take up a lot of room
  4. blue point motors cross between a point motor and wire and tube.

marc

• RMweb Gold

Point motors mmmmm there ae a number of choices

1. Peco can be side mounted using their mounting plate. if your points have springs in then used the un-sprung plate.
  2. seep motors have a good reputation but I've never used them
  3. tortoise good but expensive and they do take up a lot of room
  4. blue point motors cross between a point motor and wire and tube.

marc

Can the Peco surface mount motors be used? http://www.hattons.co.uk/23750/Peco_Products_PL_11_Side_surface_mounted_point_motor/StockDetail.aspx you may need to mount them slightly down into the cork

Andi

The should be ok without cutting into the cork as long as the points are level with the bottom of the mounting plate. I used them on my 0-9 "Crackpot Mining" layout

The motors are mounted in the hill side.

Marc

Thanks guys, I will probably order a couple of the peco motors (pictured) as I can see me having the same issue further along the track:

In this pic the green arrow is the hole I've already drilled and the red one is the next to be made. It runs along parallel to the bracing, but both of these sets of points won't be visible.

post-27013-0-84744200-1491809759.jpg

post-27013-0-67101600-1491809783_thumb.png

Cheers,

Although I've just seen this on Hattons webpage:

"N gauge points will need to be raised by approx 2mm for the drivebar to engage correctly with the tiebar."

Hmmmmm. So, would that involve packing under the the whole of the point section of track? And would that result in a "bump" in the track. I suppose my other option would be to cut out a piece of the cork underlay (4mm) to accommodate the motor then put something 2mm in the recess. In effect lowering the motor by 2mm as oppose to raising the track?

• RMweb Gold

I suppose my other option would be to cut out a piece of the cork underlay (4mm) to accommodate the motor then put something 2mm in the recess. In effect lowering the motor by 2mm as oppose to raising the track?

There you go, answered your own question.  :good:

These were stored flat and I did choose them as far as not taking the one on the top that had a bit of a warp. It was the next day after being left on the floor in my shed that one turned into a skateboard jump, I never bought it like that.

My local Wickes/B&Q stores them on the rack laying on two slats and they make you feel sea sick looking at them.

I understand - it's the slats that do it, because the wood's weight sags in between them. Once I've bought it, if not to be used for a few days, I lay it on the floor under a rug. It's out of the way and encouraged to stay flat. Ply and hardboard can be frustrating stuff, and expensive if they play up.  

aac

• RMweb Gold

Ply and hardboard can be frustrating stuff, and expensive if they play up.  

Quality ply isn't a problem, I've got sheets, half sheets and offcuts in the workshop that lean against the wall as I haven't the space to lay them flat, and they exhibit no problems. 

The cheaper grades of ply have voids as well as mismatched layers which make it unstable. Some of this ply is actually cheaper than it was 10-15 years ago and really is a case of you get what you pay for.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Although I've just seen this on Hattons webpage:

"N gauge points will need to be raised by approx 2mm for the drivebar to engage correctly with the tiebar."

Hmmmmm. So, would that involve packing under the the whole of the point section of track? And would that result in a "bump" in the track. I suppose my other option would be to cut out a piece of the cork underlay (4mm) to accommodate the motor then put something 2mm in the recess. In effect lowering the motor by 2mm as oppose to raising the track?

Can the Peco surface mount motors be used? http://www.hattons.co.uk/23750/Peco_Products_PL_11_Side_surface_mounted_point_motor/StockDetail.aspx you may need to mount them slightly down into the cork

Andi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your fix for direct link from a surface mount Peco point motor is perfectly Ok. Other plain top baseboard users can link the drive to the point tiebar with a short length of piano wire bent up at both ends and threaded into the holes. To keep the ends upright, form a Z or omega loop shape to slide flat on the board. No raising of the point is then required, if the upright parts are long enough to engage the drive bar.

• RMweb Gold

Ray,

Looking at the quality of your workman ship have you ever thought about turning professional at the base board business? ;)  ;)

If the start of your layout is anything to go with you should have a really great layout in no time. Keep going.

Marc

Much better than that turkey who built your "professionally" commissioned baseboard....... looks great good luck with your build

Rgds..........Mike

Archived