Steam railways in Norfolk

GreenDiesel

The NNR has some TV history to it too, Weybourne, the intermediate station was 'Walmington-on-sea' for the dads army episode 'royal train', I visited it 9on Friday and looking out the window could almost see the 'ghosts' on parade on the platform!, and Sherringham carriage sidings are where the cast get a soaking at the end of the episode.

• RMweb Premium

If you're staying in Suffolk there is the Mid Suffolk Light Railway. http://www.mslr.org.uk/

You would need to go on a Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday.

A nice friendly line which still gives the impression of a rural line.

Not a very long run but an extension will be started in due course

If you're staying in Suffolk there is the Mid Suffolk Light Railway. http://www.mslr.org.uk/

You would need to go on a Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday.

A nice friendly line which still gives the impression of a rural line.

Not a very long run but an extension will be started in due course

Yes, I would be interested in going to the "Middy" as they call it -- but I realize we'd be limited to Sundays / Holiday Monday's

• RMweb Gold

A couple of things to add to the excellent help you've already received.

The NNR website has a "what's running" section which is quite well updated and will save you going when a loco you are less interested in is running.

Sheringham Park (National Trust) is a lovely extensive park which abuts Weybourne station. A two hour walk will get you to their cafe and back in a circular walk or you could just walk up to the observation tower and back in about an hour. You can also walk down to the beach via weybourne village which has a good pub and tea shops.

The mid Suffolk looks like a rather unique and interesting kind of experience, certainly nothing like the MNR and NNR.

I like their disclaimer too, that preserved trains can be temperamental...

Yes, things can certainly go wrong, as I found out today. Both the advertised steam locos are out of service and a diesel was operating the train - fair enough, but both the regular steam locos were parked where photography was difficult/almost impossible. Be warned - the railway seems to operate for a local audience, who can come back whenever they please, not for those who might be making a longer journey to visit.

I live just over the road from the MNR route and often go up to the coast to the NNR. Today I have had an excellent day at the NNR spring steam gala. I cannot really expand on the comments made by others above about the two railways but can add some travel tips.

The MNR is mostly diesel but has steam (ususally only one loco) throught the summer season with the exception of their steam gala weekends. The route is longer and connects the interesting towns of Dereham and Wymondham. The scenery along the route is gently undulating farming countryside. Car parking is a bit limited at both ends of the line but there is a very large, free, "Cherry tree" long stay car park in Dereham (on the North edge of the market square) which is about 10 mins walk form the MNR station. The MNR is one of the longest preserved lines in the country but the train service is fairly limited as they only have a couple of passing places at the moment. In past years they have only had a single steam loco running for most of the summer season other than special events.

The NNR runs through pretty rolling countryside and woodland with views of the sea on the right (when leaving Sheringham). The frequency of trains depends on time of year but with a shorter line with passing place station in the middle they can run quite an intensive service (today trains were about every 20  minutes with 5 locos but that was for a gala). If your trip happened to conicide with the 1940's weekend ( I haven't checked the dates) it will be very busy.

There is a good sized car park at Holt station. The main car park at Sheringham is used by the whole town and is often very busy. If it's not peak season (or you get there early) it is often possible to find roadside parking in the roads between the station and the esplanade ( side roads off "The Boulevarde" or "Augusta street" being the best bet). If you want to sit on the seafront to eat lunch or fish and chips just head to the right or left of the end of the main street and there are places that are much less busy about 5 min away.

There is very little parking at Weybourne but often missed is the fact that there are observation areas (one including a picninc area) on the other side of the road bridge from the station, just walk up the platforms and follow the paths through the arches, from which you get some great views of trains departing for, or arriving from Holt.

If we (I?) just want to see the trains we sometimes walk our dog in Sheringham Park (National Trust). Park at the main Sheringham Park car park (which is off the Sheringham - Holt main road) and it is about an hour and a quater's stroll down through the woodlands (Red waymarked route 5 miles in total but that includes going down to the cliffs and back) to Weybourne station. We usually have a cuppa from the buffet there, which is quite reasonable priced, (I have been known to spend a few quid in the station bookshop too) to support the railway, then walk back "uphill" through the woods and parkland. Not sure what the parking charge is this year but remember it being about £5 for the day. As others have commented you can climb the "Gazebo" observation tower for a splendid view of the coast line and slightly distant railway.

Here's the NNR Loco No. 365 at Sheringham this afternoon.

post-9629-0-57274900-1492973367_thumb.jpg

The steam locos for the Mid Norfolk this year are GWR Pannier Tank 9466 & USATC S160 6046. On Blue and Purple operating dates the steam loco should be one of those two. Special events between June & August may have both in use.

The Grand Summer Gala is on 23-25 June and has LNER A4 60009 Union of South Africa visiting. Other visitors TBC. The Ales by Rails Beer festival & steam weekend is 25-28 August.

The steam locos for the Mid Norfolk this year are GWR Pannier Tank 9466 & USATC S160 6046. On Blue and Purple operating dates the steam loco should be one of those two. Special events between June & August may have both in use.

The Grand Summer Gala is on 23-25 June and has LNER A4 60009 Union of South Africa visiting. Other visitors TBC. The Ales by Rails Beer festival & steam weekend is 25-28 August.

Thanks for this feedback -- much appreciated!  We're still trying to figure out our trip. The MNR does sound good, it is closer (to where we will be staying in Suffolk) and the line is longer.  I'd be quite happy riding a heritage diesel for part of the trip as long as I got some steam travel in!  Since driving in the UK stresses me out, I'll be relying on my wife or someone else to drive my son & I!  .... I'll also look into reaching the MNR by rail.

I live just over the road from the MNR route and often go up to the coast to the NNR. Today I have had an excellent day at the NNR spring steam gala. I cannot really expand on the comments made by others above about the two railways but can add some travel tips.

The MNR is mostly diesel but has steam (ususally only one loco) throught the summer season with the exception of their steam gala weekends. The route is longer and connects the interesting towns of Dereham and Wymondham. The scenery along the route is gently undulating farming countryside. Car parking is a bit limited at both ends of the line but there is a very large, free, "Cherry tree" long stay car park in Dereham (on the North edge of the market square) which is about 10 mins walk form the MNR station. The MNR is one of the longest preserved lines in the country but the train service is fairly limited as they only have a couple of passing places at the moment. In past years they have only had a single steam loco running for most of the summer season other than special events.

The NNR runs through pretty rolling countryside and woodland with views of the sea on the right (when leaving Sheringham). The frequency of trains depends on time of year but with a shorter line with passing place station in the middle they can run quite an intensive service (today trains were about every 20  minutes with 5 locos but that was for a gala). If your trip happened to conicide with the 1940's weekend ( I haven't checked the dates) it will be very busy.

There is a good sized car park at Holt station. The main car park at Sheringham is used by the whole town and is often very busy. If it's not peak season (or you get there early) it is often possible to find roadside parking in the roads between the station and the esplanade ( side roads off "The Boulevarde" or "Augusta street" being the best bet). If you want to sit on the seafront to eat lunch or fish and chips just head to the right or left of the end of the main street and there are places that are much less busy about 5 min away.

There is very little parking at Weybourne but often missed is the fact that there are observation areas (one including a picninc area) on the other side of the road bridge from the station, just walk up the platforms and follow the paths through the arches, from which you get some great views of trains departing for, or arriving from Holt.

If we (I?) just want to see the trains we sometimes walk our dog in Sheringham Park (National Trust). Park at the main Sheringham Park car park (which is off the Sheringham - Holt main road) and it is about an hour and a quater's stroll down through the woodlands (Red waymarked route 5 miles in total but that includes going down to the cliffs and back) to Weybourne station. We usually have a cuppa from the buffet there, which is quite reasonable priced, (I have been known to spend a few quid in the station bookshop too) to support the railway, then walk back "uphill" through the woods and parkland. Not sure what the parking charge is this year but remember it being about £5 for the day. As others have commented you can climb the "Gazebo" observation tower for a splendid view of the coast line and slightly distant railway.

Here's the NNR Loco No. 365 at Sheringham this afternoon.

attachicon.gifLoco 364 s.jpg

Thanks for this -- I quite like hiking & walking, so that 5-mile trek sounds good. Cheers, Rob

Also, are there any other attractions around the NNR for non-train people?

Quite a bit to do as mentioned above. The number of non-railway attractions in the area is one of the reasons I moved here as personally, I can't stand trains. Dirty smelly things. In fact, I hate them so much, I often have to wonder why I risk life and limb hanging off the top floor balcony to get shots of visiting steamers departing by road after a Gala...

:jester:

My timing was a bit premature on this one. It rained this morning and the leadwork on the balcony was a bit slippery...

post-17811-0-90345800-1493125910_thumb.jpg

25th April 2017. GWR 0-6-2T No.5643 crawling up Sheringham's Holway Road on the back of a low-loader after visiting the NNR for the Spring Steam Gala.

Thanks for this feedback -- much appreciated!  We're still trying to figure out our trip. The MNR does sound good, it is closer (to where we will be staying in Suffolk) and the line is longer.  I'd be quite happy riding a heritage diesel for part of the trip as long as I got some steam travel in!  Since driving in the UK stresses me out, I'll be relying on my wife or someone else to drive my son & I!  .... I'll also look into reaching the MNR by rail.

Getting to the MNR by rail has to be to Wymondham (Pronounced "windham"). It's about a 10 minute train ride from Norwich. Wymondham Station has been nicely restored and the town is quite picturesque. The MNR station is down a lane behind Wymondham Abbey about 15 min stroll from the main line station.  The abbey is little more than a large church these days but there are information boards showing what it was once like.

From the small car park by the level crossing there is the "Tiffey walk" which takes you through fields along the "valley" on the opposite side of the river from the railway giving some very good views of the train(s). Crossing the road from the car park  you can walk the other way through "Becketswell" alongside the river behind the abbey and into the town centre.

The MNR used to have their timetables up on thier web-site so I expect they will be doing that again as their new web-site is developed.

Archived