Problem with Atlas 0-scale GP7

Willy

Can some DCC expert tell me why my Atlas GP7 would run fine yesterday and yet today when I power up it won’t move. I get the engine ticking over, the horn and bell works and I can switch the lights on and off but when I open the throttle the engine doesn’t rev up and the loco doesn’t move. I can read the CVs and I have re-entered the address but nothing! Any ideas anyone.

Willy

It may be in 'locked' mode, some stupid idea a QSI designer had (if it's a factory-fitted QSI decoder of course!)

I believe the 'cure' may be to press F8 twice in quick succession. Failing that, google "QSI decoder locked"... :scratchhead:

It may be in 'locked' mode, some stupid idea a QSI designer had (if it's a factory-fitted QSI decoder of course!)

I believe the 'cure' may be to press F8 twice in quick succession. Failing that, google "QSI decoder locked"... :scratchhead:

Yes, it’s a factory fitted decoder.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try when I get back to it!

Willy 

Did a quick google myself, sounds like it's gone into "disconnect" mode rather than locked, & pressing F6 twice quickly is given as the remedy!!

I did have a QSI decoder that was in an Atlas F-3; I installed it in my Trainman RS-3, & someone re-programmed it for me with an Alco engine sound. For various reasons, including it still not sounding very 'Alco-ish', & being almost impossible to fine tune to a slow crawl, I gave up on it & replaced it with a Loksound L. Pity really as the QSI horn was amazing, & certainly blew Soundtrax Tsunami waaaaay out of the water!! :D

In addition, I'm sure I had this unexpected 'disconnect' situation occur, too. :rolleyes:

I note Atlas don't fit QSI these days..!! ;)

Sorry it hasn't helped, though. You can appreciate why I eventually ditched the QSI decoder... :(

Don’t worry and yes, I can see why you might have ditched the QSI decoder.

Bill, have you seen the discussion in this thread:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/21951

Don't know if it will help....

Thanks Jason.

No I didn’t see that and it all sounds very familiar. I will be going out shortly so I haven’t got time to read through all the replies or do anything about it but I will update date you when I can.

On another subject; I have made a couple of little brass brackets and to secure my GP35 side frames in place until you get me the spare part. It looks good and works well and she is now my best runner with the GP7 down. The RS-1 is still very stiff on starting but runs nicely when up to speed.

One of the Facebook 'American O-Scale in the UK' group solved Willy's prob -  F9  - well done Tony. 

While I was still on FB, Jordan, I came across this SOO consist with an honorary steam loco leading and the others trying to keep up:

https://www.facebook.com/bastardrails/videos/1382530378478774/

Seen it, it's on a C-Vision Productions DVD "Best of the Soo Line Vol 1" ;)

...& yes, I have Vol 2 as well... :D

Well, I have managed to sort the problem courtesy of a thorough reading of various responses in the following link sent to me by Jason.  http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/21951  

Briefly this is what I did, I kept pressing F9 twice (several times) until it totally shut down. At that point it won't respond to any function key except F6 pressed twice to power up and F10 which is a status key and will read out the present status of the loco. I pressed F10 and it read out the loco number and a ‘consist’ number! Strange because I had never used a consist and it was working normal before. Anyway I pressed F6 twice and it powered up and then I cleared the consist before trying it again and this time it worked. 

It was a long haul and took several attempts and careful reading of the various responses in that link but I think the key was finding a consist number and clearing that. And the bottom line is thanks to Jason for the link otherwise I would never have got there.

Archived