BR Standard Class 3MT 2-6-2T 82xxx series

Swiftsilver

I'm pretty sure there are photos of the firebox top in the RCTS 'B.R. Standard Steam Locomotives Vol 3 The Tank Locos.' Sorry but I'm not at home so can't check my own copy. FWIW the RCTS currently has it reduced to 14 quid - well worth it even at full price for the information it contains.

Ray.

Thank you for the 'heads up.' I put my order in to RCTS on Christmas Eve and expect it anytime now.

Brian L.

If it helps any I have a scale 7mm GA drawing of the loco and measuring the chimney at the side it is 16mm from top to bottom. I am assuming my plan was accurate in the first place. Having compared it with numerous photos, particularly on Colour Rail, it looks right to me. Irf you are in doubt I suggest you contact Pat At Scorpio Models by phone. You will find him very helpful.

Brian L.

Brian - the chimney in my kit is 13mm from top to bottom so my theory may be correct. I actually think this Is from a standard 4 tank. Anyhow I did speak to Pat Ennis who as you say is very helpful. He is sending me the cast white metal original as an alternative. Pat says the brass version s correct to measurements but I don't have the GA drawing to compare. Unfortunately there snt one in the kit.

I look forward to watching your build. I am not starting mine until the New Year as I have a few other things to finish first.

Paul R

• 2 weeks later...

Brian - the chimney in my kit is 13mm from top to bottom so my theory may be correct. I actually think this Is from a standard 4 tank. Anyhow I did speak to Pat Ennis who as you say is very helpful. He is sending me the cast white metal original as an alternative. Pat says the brass version s correct to measurements but I don't have the GA drawing to compare. Unfortunately there snt one in the kit.

I look forward to watching your build. I am not starting mine until the New Year as I have a few other things to finish first.

Paul R

Paul - you got me thinking!! So I went and looked at every picture I could find of this class and compared them with the chimney which came with my original Acorn kit. A 'niggle' I had soon proved fact. The Acorn kit chimney, which is white metal, gets wider the higher up it goes. This is wrong! The chimneys on this class were 'stove pipe' type according to all the pictures and my drawing, and the same diameter from top to bottom apart from the flange around the top and the 'skirt' at the bottom where it joins the smokebox.

Scorpio do a lost wax chimney intended for their upgraded Acorn kit of the 77xxx, which is the tender version of the 82xxx, and I had one of these. It checks out measurement-wise and looks perfect, so it is now on my model!

Brian L.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the GA drawing, the chimney measures 1' 11 13/16" from top of smokebox barrel to top of chimney, which scales to 13.9mm.

Jim

Jim

With the greatest of respect, that is just a little too close to rivet counting for me! I'll settle for 14mm!

Brian L.

• 2 weeks later...

Same loco - sub topic.

My railway is based on c. 1964. By this time my loco would be carrying the second type of BR 'badge' and would probably be green and lined, (and I was wearing a khaki suit and was based in BAOR!). Should both BR 'badges' face towards the front of the loco, or should the right hand one face towards the rear?

Secondly, should the cylinder covers be (vertically) lined?

Thirdly does anybody have a list of which members of the class were fitted with the additional hand rail in front of the dome?

And finally, numerals on the cab/bunker sides seem to vary a bit. Was there a 'standard' size for this class?

Thanks.

Brian L.

There is a story behind these later BR crests because as designed they had the lion facing forwards on both sides. However the Royal Heraldic College (I think it was the name) protested and I think BR were told approval had only been given for one version and then they had to have one facing forward and one back depending on the side fitted. A number of locos had been fitted before this and thus it was possible to see both. As always gets picture of your chosen loco from both sides!

Paul R

The number of locomotives turned out with left- and right-facing lions would have been quite small to start with. Second, by 1964 the probability that any locomotive that had been turned out with the left/right lions and not been through a subsequent overhaul would be even smaller. That ignores the possibility that there was a deliberate effort to paint over the "wrong" version

Unless you actually find a dateable picture of the right hand side of the selected locomotive showing a right-facing lion As late as 1964, then the probability is going to be very high that left-facing lions both sides would be correct for your model.

Jim

Loco numerals were either 8" or 10" - the latter usually only on locos painted at a N.E. region works e.g. 82027/9.  Not all 82xxx were ever painted green and even some of the green ones were unlined see p.97-99 of the RCTS vol.3  Re handrails, could this be a later W.R. mod?  A quick look at the pics in RCTS shows 82000/6/7/20/30/1/2/7/40&42 with them. 82004 didn't have one in 1952 but had in 1962. As recommended above a clear dated photo is essential.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

A lot depends on whether you want to model a particular locomotive as it actually appeared at a particular point in time, or whether you want to model a locomotive as it could have appeared at that time. Locomotives weren't overhauled, modified, painted or allocated to suit a photograph, but as and when the need arose. Overhauls depended on usage, modifications were determined by both urgency and works attention, repainting depended on overhaul dates, and allocations were made on the basis of need for locomotives of a particular size, power and maintainability.

Jim

Same loco - sub topic.

My railway is based on c. 1964. By this time my loco would be carrying the second type of BR 'badge' and would probably be green and lined, (and I was wearing a khaki suit and was based in BAOR!). Should both BR 'badges' face towards the front of the loco, or should the right hand one face towards the rear?

Secondly, should the cylinder covers be (vertically) lined?

Thirdly does anybody have a list of which members of the class were fitted with the additional hand rail in front of the dome?

And finally, numerals on the cab/bunker sides seem to vary a bit. Was there a 'standard' size for this class?

Thanks.

Brian L.

Brian,

What were you doing in BAOR? I did two tours in the mid-80s and early 90s in Fallingbostel and Bielefeld. 

Regards,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

​My loco is to be 82036. I have several photographs of it but none showing whether or not there is an extra grab handle atop the boiler. 

​Does anybody have a pic of this loco which clears up whether it did, or did not, have one?

​Thank you.

Brian L.

Brian, according to RCTS B.R.Standard steam locos vol3 from Jan 1957 all the 82xxx allocated to the Western region began to have the boiler top handrail fitted. However 82036, when recorded on 21/7/63, carried a boiler not fitted with one. That boiler was fitted 2/61 so one can assume that it probably carried one from sometime after 1957 to late 1960/early 1961. The early 82xxx had rectangular coupling rods and LNER return cranks fitted on a square. The later ones had fluted rods and the LMS type 4 stud return cranks - however, 82038 appeared after overhaul on 8/8/57 with the early type rods and return cranks - but no handrail! Not sure if this info. helps or not but I'll carry on looking for a photo of 82036.  What time period are you thinking of for your model of 82036?

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Brian, according to RCTS B.R.Standard steam locos vol3 from Jan 1957 all the 82xxx allocated to the Western region began to have the boiler top handrail fitted. However 82036, when recorded on 21/7/63, carried a boiler not fitted with one. That boiler was fitted 2/61 so one can assume that it probably carried one from sometime after 1957 to late 1960/early 1961. The early 82xxx had rectangular coupling rods and LNER return cranks fitted on a square. The later ones had fluted rods and the LMS type 4 stud return cranks - however, 82038 appeared after overhaul on 8/8/57 with the early type rods and return cranks - but no handrail! Not sure if this info. helps or not but I'll carry on looking for a photo of 82036.  What time period are you thinking of for your model of 82036?

Cheers,

Ray.

Hi Ray

I have the RCTS Book and though it contains some nice photographs it was not a great deal of help. 

My small layout is 'somewhere' in the West Country in the period 1962-66.

Cheers

Brian

There's a great colour broadside of 82030 in the recent publication 'The Nation's Railway -Birth Beeching and Beyond' which is one of thses Morton's bookazines ans WH Smith still have it. Although not of the exact loco you are building it does nonetheless show the additional handrail

Paul R