Suitable Controller for 009?

SDJR7F88

Hi all. 

I've been thinking about starting a 009 mirco exhibition layout, after visiting the superb, but sadly the last Narrow Gauge South West Show, at Shepton Mallet. I've been taken by the number of superb little models on offer and been pricing up a number of Minitrains Products. 

After looking into it, I found site mentions Minitrain Products should not be ran with a controller that has an output of more than 1amps. I hoped to use my Gauge Master Combi for the layout (though on reading the instructions it mentions it's 1.1amps). Will I need to get a special controller? Or will it be suitable? 

Many thanks! 

• RMweb Premium

I use the Gaugemaster Combi with no problems with Minitrains items, that includes all day use at exhibitions.

I also have one of the Minitrains controllers which is also good.

Just to mention in passing, the controller output in amps does not really matter, it is the voltage applied to the motor that governs the current flow, when a recommendation to use one of one amp is made, it is just saying do not bother with a more powerful unit.

If far too powerful a unit is used thee is a risk that the current flowing in a shorting condition will be higher than the smaller unit, and thus risk more damage before the unit shuts down, (blows a fuse), in modern units, an electronically protected output.

If a small motor stalls however it only draws as much current as it's resistance allows, so will be safe in normal running on any rating of a controller. If a short goes across the track, then with a bigger unit more power flows before shut down.

The controller you mention will be fine for the Minitrains locos. When running they draw about .25 amps unloaded, so will run on any 12 volt controller. At most they draw about an amp under heavy loads, which is where the rather confusing advice comes from.

Stephen

Although  I  am  a  digital  user  never  used  analogue  for  20 years  now!!  I an  involved  with  a nother 009  layout  under construction  which  due  to  its  simplicity  will be   will be  analogue

'

I have  just  purchased  a  Morley  controllers   'Vesta'  controller  which  is  specifically  for  n  Gauge,

It  has  twin  centre  knob off controllers    additional  outlets  for  accessories,  also  a  built  in CDU  for  point motor power  AND  it  comes  with  TWO  handheld  units  which  can be plugged  in to  the  unit  to  enable  remote  use  of  the controller.

Price  around  £75  instant  next  day  dely  as  well.

I have  tested  it  with  several  H0e    loco  brands  Minitrains, Roco, Liliput  Bemo  etc  and  it  provides  superb  fine  control.

All I  have  to  do  now  is  remember  how  to  wire  analoge layouts!!  sections  switches  etc!!

www.morleycontrollers.com  they live in Southport  also  have   an  Australian branch as  well

• 3 weeks later...

I've had good success in Gnine (more or less 009 only a bit bigger) with a controller made from one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-1-8V-3V-5V-6V-12V-MOTOR-Speed-Controller-PWM-Available-in-UK-1st-class-Post-/132175223628?

with an input of smoothed 12v DC.

Nice slow running, no heat issues and so far 100% reliable.

As mentioned above, any half decent controller will do the job well, though.

Les

Archived