TALES FROM MY WORKBENCH OF DOOM

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Jubilee has now received her number, and is still waiting for her nameplates, I need to place a large order.

post-18718-0-63662600-1505554938_thumb.jpg

There are still a few little areas to work on and finish, but she runs well and will soon join the fleet in time for the Wigan show. One thing is for certain she will not be this clean, as she needs a little grot applying to her, I mean I have to don't I?

My Stanier Mogul is progressing slowly, I replaced the original tender I built with a better one straight of the production line, and I have even managed slightly better lining on this one.

post-18718-0-69804600-1505555156_thumb.jpg

There is still a lot to do on this model, looking at the picture I think I need to lower her a little more on her chassis, I think I will need to adapt the motion more.

Again she will need a little weathering to at least hide some of the lining, and then she can take her place with the rest of the LMS moguls in the fleet.

Well in an attempt to get a few things ready for the Wigan exhibition, I have managed to cobble together at least one example of the principle Moguls the LMS operated.

The Stanier mogul still needs a fair bit of detailing, but may make an appearance at the show, maybe, if all goes well :)

post-18718-0-83644200-1505917550_thumb.jpg

Which means I have the following big tanks to cover some of the local passenger duties?

My Fowler and Fairburn builds

post-18718-0-49566500-1506374541_thumb.jpg

My attempt at a Stanier 2 cylinder

post-18718-0-10501700-1506374561_thumb.jpg

Yet another attempt at a Flatiron and Johnson 1P

post-18718-0-74595300-1506374661_thumb.jpg

I know one thing though, I have had enough with lining tanks engines, and tender engines, all over black is the way to go I think

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the workbench of DOOM is filling up with new projects far quicker than projects are leaving it, not counting the 3 Trams a quick check has revealed the following waiting for completion

1 x Stannier Mogul

1 x Princess

1 x Prince of Wales tank

1x 7F water heater verions

1 x ex L&Y 0-8-0

1 x G2 (round firebox)

1 x Original  Royal Scot

2 x Duchess

1 x Flat Iron

1 x 2P 4-4-0

1 x 4P 4-4-0

Im sure I have forgot something, oh yes WHERE WILL I GET THE TIME TO DO ALL THIS BUILDING?

• Like 1

Ha I have made some progress on the WORKBENCH of DOOM, which is good as I will be away most of the week with work, so progress stops here.

post-18718-0-92551100-1538936343_thumb.jpg

The problem though with progress is it always creates more questions or options, like

Should the Duchess be finished in works grey? Or should I produce an example of a Duchess pulling at ex-streamlined tender? I mean I need to add a little variety to the my Duchess fleet?

I know I'm a little biased towards the LMS, well more than a little, but I still have a problem with the first Pacific type the railway had the Princess class. I'm not sure if its because it's a little too great western to my eyes, or if they seem a little stretched but there is something about them that does not "do it" for me.

I have to admit I'm enjoying the building the example currently going through the Price locomotive works and maybe my opinion on them will change as I progress towards completion, but at the moment the jury is still out.

I had a few days ago got my model to the stage where a little primer could be applied, and she sat on my workbench looking like this while I decided what to do with her, but also what LMS livery she should carry.

post-18718-0-81784600-1539501963_thumb.jpg

Part of the problem was the chassis, its not been a total nightmare but its not turning out to be the quick fix I thought it would be, originally I thought  I slap a standard rtr chassis under her and like many N gauge modellers do live with the inaccuracies (we N gaugers use to tolerate a lot). Anyway as I looked at various options I even considered scratch building.

At the moment I have a couple of options, a heavily serviced and slightly amended RTR option and a semi scratch built option, though I'm leaning to the RTR option, if only to avoid valve gear construction (don't ask, but I have invented lots of new swear words).

The major areas I need to work on at the moment if the front bogie mount and the trailing wheels and this thinking about it might be where the problem I have with the prototype originates from. To me the cylinders seem to be a bit too far back and then there is the trailing truck, is just seems a oddly proportioned when you look at how it sits under the cab.

Still this might just be my amplified by my dodgy modelling abilities but it just niggles away at me, still I pressed on and got the loco ready to receive her top coat. I finally decided to paint the loco in lined crimson, so I went to my paint stores and got the relevant crimson, and I think this is where another problem came to light?

post-18718-0-00183500-1539501976_thumb.jpg

For any locomotives I intend to line, I tend to apply the top coat in a gloss finish, I find it helps me with the old bow pen to apply the lining, then when finished I cover the locomotive in a satin or even sometimes matt varnish. The problem is the crimson shade just does not look right to me, perhaps I'm just being an awkward sod but again there is something about it? I know crimson is a terrible colour to get right and the real locomotives varied in shade quite considerably, as do some of my fleet but there is still something about this one.

Maybe it will start to look better to my eyes once the black bits are painted, so fingers crossed, and I suppose a good old coat of grime will hide a multitude of sins (I have photo's of them during and after the war in a terrible state) so maybe all is not lost, now where did I leave that supply of modelling time I thought I had?

• RMweb Premium

Getting MMS Maroon (and BR maroon) to look right is a nightmare. Some colour photographs show City of Carlisle in BR Maroon almost pink...

I try to use a darker shade of red over brown undercoat as this seems to match some paint bought by a friend from a company in Wakefield. They used to provide paint to the Midland and LMS.

He used it to paint his front door..but despite pushing hard he never lined it out!

Baz

Getting MMS Maroon (and BR maroon) to look right is a nightmare. Some colour photographs show City of Carlisle in BR Maroon almost pink...

I try to use a darker shade of red over brown undercoat as this seems to match some paint bought by a friend from a company in Wakefield. They used to provide paint to the Midland and LMS.

He used it to paint his front door..but despite pushing hard he never lined it out!

Baz

How can you not line it out? was he mad?