Comet N2 Chassis now...

micked

Can't say I'd noticed, that particular kit is not my era so to me they look fine :D

It's easy enough to make that sort of slip up no matter how long you've been modelling. When I was building the Ratio LNWR open wagon kits (2 wagons, one box) I ended up with one of each of the two variety of axleboxes on each side of each wagon as I'd not noticed the sole bars where different lengths. By the time I had found that out, the axleboxes were already firmly affixed!

Thanks 57xx. Actually it was only when I saw the photo on the screen that I realised the little mistake. The (well my) naked eye probably wouldn't be able to make it out in real life.

Mick

• Like 2

I will say well done and carry on. Wait until you start cross kitting to modify what's avalible to make something that's not, even of it is something as simple as putting a red panda under frame. Just remember to not give up, look at the mistakes you make as a chance to learn where you went wrong, figure Out how to correct them.

post-7173-0-91453800-1494009395.jpg

...and here's the result of a few evening's work this week - an almost complete Parkside ex-LNER Conflat with British Railways BD container. This was a very nice kit to put together, and I don't remember any major problems or traumas along the way. It's been built pretty much the way Parkside intended, with Lanarkshire vacuum hoses fitted.

I've added a few pieces of wire underneath for the rods that connect the clasp brakes, and I'll add a safety loop to the brake linkage, and the bars to protect the brakes (at least think that's what they do) as well. I got the idea of doing this while examining a photo downloaded from Paul Bartlett's site. The photo will also help me with the lettering of the wagon itself. I've also got the plates to protect the tops of the buffers to fit.

The extra weight for this wagon is a strip of lead sitting in the container. It's well glued down, but sod's law says it'll work itself loose one day.

Painting was as the recent Palvan, using Humbrol bauxite and black, with Humbrol Gloss 20 for the container. Obviously it's quite shiny at the moment, but I'll use some matt varnish to sort that out when the lettering has dried out.

Then I'll think about chains to secure the container, then couplings and then maybe weathering.

Crikey! I thought the wagon was just about finished, but I see I've still got quite a bit of work to do.

All the best

Mick

• Like 9

Hi Mick,

You are getting good at this - well done!

If it's any help, Ambis Engineering do a really good range of etched shackles and chains. It's best to drop them an e-mail with what you want from their website and they will arrange an order for you.

All the best,

Castle

Hi Mick,

You are getting good at this - well done!

If it's any help, Ambis Engineering do a really good range of etched shackles and chains. It's best to drop them an e-mail with what you want from their website and they will arrange an order for you.

All the best,

Castle

Thanks Castle - that's very kind. Mind you I came across this jaw dropping page the other day http://bambrickstudio.co.uk/latest-news-2/ and it put my meagre skills well and truly in perspective.

I'll contact Ambis Engineering, and see what they can do.

Posts may be sporadic for the time being. No loss of modelling enthusiasm, but my upstairs neighbours water tank suffered quite a substantial breakdown the other day, and of course where does and upstairs neighbour's flood end up? The neighbour below of course. No great financial loss, as their insurance will sort that out, but a bit of time and effort will be used up in getting things back to normal.

Back soon

Mick

• Like 1

No great financial loss, as their insurance will sort that out, but a bit of time and effort will be used up in getting things back to normal...

post-7173-0-12525800-1494862848_thumb.jpg

Hooray! Back to normal at last. Thanks everyone who sent messages and likes -- it really is encouraging.

I've had time to finish the lettering on the Conflat. Off to the Ely show at the weekend to pick up supplies and inspiration.

Mick

• Like 8

post-7173-0-69073900-1495300184.jpg

I had a fun afternoon's modelling today trying out a couple of new purchases.

As a child many years, well decades, ago I remember being fascinated by a friend's Peco Wonderful Wagon and the way the design used soft plastic to make the wagon's springs work just like the real thing. Well this week my childhood dreams became reality and I now have the materials to make my own sprung wagon.  

Of course, Bill Bedford's sprung W-irons are a world away from those old Peco wagons, and the elegantly simple design of this little brass construction is an absolute delight. I'm by no means a fine scale rivet counting sort of person, but the ingenuity of modellers and manufacturers who take modelling into the realms of miniature engineering are nevertheless a real inspiration.

I don't plan to add springing to all of my wagons, but I have in mind a couple of future projects that may well make use of it - just because I can now!

Later, after I'd calmed down a bit I assembled a few sets of Roger Smith's three-link couplings to fit on my wagons. I haven't built up the courage to tackle the screw-link ones yet, but after testing the water with the three-link, I can't foresee too many problems.

That's it for now

Mick

• Like 7

Here's the result of a few hours' work - grabbed here and there over the last few evenings. It's another Cambrian ex-LMS van.

I've enjoyed building this one so far. Experience (two Parkside, two Cambrian) that the Cambrian kits are a little trickier to assemble than Parkside, but it's really just a question of taking a little more care and a little bit more fettling. 

post-7173-0-83001200-1495653475.jpg

This wagon sees my first use of Bill Bedford's brake gear safety loops. Quite easy to fit after chopping off the moulded ones, and it's quite nice to know they're there. Though I'm not too sure how noticeable they are once the brake gear is all painted. Maybe eventual weathering will show them up a bit better.

post-7173-0-18703200-1495653542.jpg

You'll also see that I fitted plastic rod between the brakes (and then later more tiny pieces between the brakes and v-hangers and handles). I fitted wire in the previous wagons, but plastic seems to do the job just as well, and is a bit easier to fit. I painted the sole bars and part of the body before assembly to make things a bit easier as well.

The wagon is now awaiting Lanarkshire buffers (the Cambrian plastic ones look fine, but are very fragile), lettering and couplings. The roof is just resting on top of the body at the moment. I noticed that a few others on RMWeb fit strips of plasticard to the inside edges of their roofs, and tried that one this wagon. It does make accurate fitting of the roof quite a bit easier.

I'll post more when the wagon's finished

All the best, and thanks for looking in,

Mick

• Like 5

Coming along nicely. The safety loops are a nice and worthwhile addition, looking good; although the brake lever on your LMS van appears to be facing the wrong way.

Aaaargh! You're right Mark.

I'll get that changed.

Many thanks

Mick

post-7173-0-33495700-1495699855.jpg

After a bit of paint scraping and scalpel work, we have a brake handle the right way round.

A bit of a daft mistake to make, but luckily it was quite easily rectified. Just bit of tidying up to do now.

Thanks Mark!

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's the result of a few hours' work - grabbed here and there over the last few evenings. It's another Cambrian ex-LMS van.

I've enjoyed building this one so far. Experience (two Parkside, two Cambrian) that the Cambrian kits are a little trickier to assemble than Parkside, but it's really just a question of taking a little more care and a little bit more fettling. 

attachicon.gifwag-2.jpg

This wagon sees my first use of Bill Bedford's brake gear safety loops. Quite easy to fit after chopping off the moulded ones, and it's quite nice to know they're there. Though I'm not too sure how noticeable they are once the brake gear is all painted. Maybe eventual weathering will show them up a bit better.

attachicon.gifwag-1.jpg

You'll also see that I fitted plastic rod between the brakes (and then later more tiny pieces between the brakes and v-hangers and handles). I fitted wire in the previous wagons, but plastic seems to do the job just as well, and is a bit easier to fit. I painted the sole bars and part of the body before assembly to make things a bit easier as well.

The wagon is now awaiting Lanarkshire buffers (the Cambrian plastic ones look fine, but are very fragile), lettering and couplings. The roof is just resting on top of the body at the moment. I noticed that a few others on RMWeb fit strips of plasticard to the inside edges of their roofs, and tried that one this wagon. It does make accurate fitting of the roof quite a bit easier.

I'll post more when the wagon's finished

All the best, and thanks for looking in,

Mick

Very nice work Mick, a bit of light weathering in the style of Tim Shackleton will finish the wagons off very nicely.

Ian

attachicon.gifnew-wag.jpg

After a bit of paint scraping and scalpel work, we have a brake handle the right way round.

A bit of a daft mistake to make, but luckily it was quite easily rectified. Just bit of tidying up to do now.

Thanks Mark!

Mick

I recollect Hornby doing this with a wagon chassis once..They're probably collectors items now.

A very experienced modeller of my acquaintance once built a Parkside van kit with the sides upside down.

Very nice work Mick, a bit of light weathering in the style of Tim Shackleton will finish the wagons off very nicely.

Ian

Thanks Macgeordie. You make Tim Shackleton's weathering effects sound so easy to achieve! Seriously though, your suggestion might just spur me on to have a go.

post-7173-0-79938600-1496064190.jpg

In the mean time I've been having a go at a Parkside ex-LNER van. I've added a few extra rods to the brake gear, with a few more still to add (apologies for the poor photo - the sunshine's vanished today (It is a bank holiday after all)). I was thinking of using wire, but plastic rod is so much easier to attach. Next up buffers and a bit more paint.

All the best

Mick

• Like 11

post-7173-0-12977200-1496343906.jpg

Just a quick update:

A little bit more work has been done on the Parkside ex-LNER van over the last couple of evenings, and it just needs another coat of bauxite, on the body, another coat of dark grey on the roof, black for the buffers**, safety bars around the clasp brakes couplings and then decals.

The ex-LMS van next to it is the finished Cambrian van that I fitted the back to front brake lever to a few posts back.

** by the way, Revell Matt no. 8 is my favourite for a really matt black now.

Mick

• Like 7

by the way, Revell Matt no. 8 is my favourite for a really matt black now.

Mick

Any hints on what you use for the other colours?  I'm a beginner, and struggling to find anything that looks right for early freight bauxite, with the probably exception of RailMatch and CraftMasters, neither of which is available in Australia, to my knowledge.

Any hints on what you use for the other colours?  I'm a beginner, and struggling to find anything that looks right for early freight bauxite, with the probably exception of RailMatch and CraftMasters, neither of which is available in Australia, to my knowledge.

Hi Aardvark. For the unfitted van I used Humbrol No. 64 Matt - Light Grey (I've also got Humbrol No. 01 Matt grey primer, which also gives a nice light grey) and Revell Matt No. 8 for the roof and under frame.

For the fitted van I used Railmatch Bauxite after first trying Humbrol No. 133 Satin - Brown. The colours are both pretty close, but I wasn't too happy with the covering of the Humbrol  colour. The dark grey roof is a mixture of Humbrol No. 01 Matt with a little bit of Revell Matt No. 08.

These are all enamels by the way, and were all used thinned with Humbrol thinners.

Hope that helps

Mick

Impressive stuff mon.

Nicely put together and finished, methinks one is ready to progress further into the wonderful wagon modelling menagerie...

attachicon.gifnew-wag.jpg

Thanks Mark!

Mick

I'm afraid there is another error in the brake gear! You have a cross bar between the two sides but the brakes are independent. Either the crossbar shouldn't be there or, more likely as the van was probably fitted with Morton brakes, one side should have the push rods reversed and a reversing clutch fitted to the lever. Just try to follow the action of the brakes – as set up at present, applying the brakes one side would take them off on the other!

I'm afraid there is another error in the brake gear! You have a cross bar between the two sides but the brakes are independent. Either the crossbar shouldn't be there or, more likely as the van was probably fitted with Morton brakes, one side should have the push rods reversed and a reversing clutch fitted to the lever. Just try to follow the action of the brakes – as set up at present, applying the brakes one side would take them off on the other!

This looks like a late period Midland Railway van to me, and these had independent either-side brake gear, which would explain the provision of four V-hangers.  Lose the cross-shaft, and it's all good.

D

• Like 1

This looks like a late period Midland Railway van to me, and these had independent either-side brake gear, which would explain the provision of four V-hangers.  Lose the cross-shaft, and it's all good.

D

Thanks Wagonman, Thanks Darryl,

Your explanations are really helpful. Things are starting to make sense now. Luckily it's just a case of removing the rogue crossbar by the sound of it

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

post-7173-0-43363500-1497466297.jpg

Modelling has come to a bit of a halt recently. Unfortunately most of my spare time has had to be devoted to job-finding after my recent redundancy.

Then again modelling can be quite therapeutic, so here's a wagon I've been working on over the last week or so. This one's from Coopercraft, and the mouldings seem very crisp indeed - what a pity the company seems to be having problems. You'll see that the wagon has disc wheels at the moment. This is just a temporary measure, and they are due to be replaced with a set of Alan Gibson spoked wheels sometime soon. I'm not sure how accurate the home-made interior partition divider is, but it won't be too prominent anyway once it's been painted to match the body. I thought I'd give the body a quick spray of Railmatch bauxite today, while the weather was so aerosol-friendly.

After my recent brake gear blunder with my Cambrian Midland van 'll be taking extra care to make sure that this one's done properly. So far, so good (I hope).

Mick

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

post-7173-0-51592200-1498506839.jpg

After enjoying the build of my Coopercraft cattle wagon, I though I'd have a go at their V4 Mink next. It looks as if some of these might just have lasted into my preferred early BR days. Plus you can never have too many box vans in my opinion.

It's been a lovely little van to put together. The supplied plastic wheels were discarded in place of Alan Gibson spoked. I would have liked to replace the supplied plastic buffers with something a bit more sturdy )and better looking), but they can easily be replaced when funds allow. The photo shows the van at a stage nearing completion. One thing that still needs to be added is a swan-neck brake lever for the Dean DCI brake gear. I've ordered a fret of Bill Bedford's DCI brake gear (which could easily end up as a lifetime's supply), and will probably keep the brake gear as it is, and just fit the missing lever.

If I ever get round to building a layout it will be more than likely an early 50s branch set somewhere in the East of England, so my love affair with Coopercraft is likely to come to a sad end after the building of this one. Then again...

post-7173-0-16757900-1498506802.jpg

The second photo shows the just about complete cattle wagon. The roof has yet to be stuck on, and lettering will be added at a later date (again when funds allow!). Something that has just become apparent is that the buffers on this wagon appear to be so low in relation to the rest. I really must look into that...

All the best

Mick

• Like 4