S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

I have put the other letters on and tried to rule a couple of black lines under and over the beading. Unfortunately this has bleed making the lines uneven. Rather than clean it off now I will wait until it is dry  tomorrow and hopefully correct it. 

Still  no shoes ! How hard can it be ? Perhaps being a man, I just don't understand.  

20230807_171801.jpg

20230807_195223.jpg

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Having got the bug for containers I found a photograph in the North Staffordshire wagon book with a couple in a train.  There isn't a drawing giving dimensions but one is on a wagon that the text gives as a Longbottom which was 16'. So I have taken a stab that the container will be approx 14' 6" or near enough. 

As I have said standards are slipping but with all what is going on I just need something to take my mind off the stress around me. 

I have knock up a basic shell from 80 thou plasticard that is 14' 6" long. I was going to attempt to scribe the planking on like the photograph but decided that it would be easier to overlay the planks from Evergreen strip.  So I made a little cutting jig so the planks would be all at the same angle.

I marked the centre line and cut and glued the first half after putting a light chamfer on the edge. 

Coming to cut the matching side I find that there is a slight discrepancy lining up the planks ! 

Taking out my digital calipers and measuring the strip it appears that the strip are not all the same width.  

There isn't a lot of difference but just enough to make it awkward to line everything up. 

If I can't resolve this problem I may have to go back to scribbling the planks on by hand. And I thought using Evergreen strip would make life easier.  

20230811_202134.jpg

20230811_202537.jpg

16917839735386524541097971590819.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

That’s annoying.  Could you have a “strip sizer” made from brass that you can check the strip width on before going further?  You could go the whole hog, and fit a scalpel blade to plane the strip to size, but I reckon a bit of sharp glass paper on a piece of glass would do the needful.

When did this kind of container traffic start?

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Simon, I should have measured each strip before glueing any on the side but I have had a lot of faith in believing that the strip of 125 thou was going to be 125 thou. I know I am old enough to know better but.............

These strips measure between 121 thou and 127 thou. It doesn't take long before laying 5 or 6 strips that the problem gets out of hand. I laid a few strips on the second half and then cut a slightly wider plank from sheet to bring it back in line. This hand cut one measured 129 thou but it has made it possible to complete the side. The example I am using is very dirty and worn with very faded lettering which might disguise the odd plank when I come to painting it. When I come  to do the second side I will be more careful to measure each strip and try not to use ones that vary to much from the size they are meant to be.

I don't have a date for their introduction but there is a photograph of the furniture store Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield with several examples in 1882. 

20230812_061656.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, airnimal said:

I don't have a date for their introduction but there is a photograph of the furniture store Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield with several examples in 1882. 

I think the use of containers (‘lift vans’ in the early terminology) started around the 1870s. They seem to have been mainly used for furniture - relatively light for the volume. The availability of suitable yard cranes was presumably a constraint on their use and capacity. It always surprises me that it took the railway companies 50 years to catch on, and introduce both their own containers and a more systematic approach to their operation in the 1920s.

There’s a book in this topic, if someone is short of a project…

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

There is a summary of the history of "containerisation" here: 

http://www.conflat.co.uk/con_hist.html

"The origins of containerisation on Britain's Railways can be traced right back to their very beginning - although the idea took more than 100 years to catch on!

In the 1830s the Liverpool & Manchester Railway used "simple rectangular boxes, four to a waggon, ...to convey coal from the Lancashire collieries to Liverpool, where they were transferred to horse-drawn carts by crane" But although there were some advantages, in particular the reduced handling of the cargo, the idea does not appear to have caught on. Even so, by the early 1900s the London & North Western, Lancashire & Yorkshire, and Midland Railway companies were carrying 'box coal' on flat wagons, the coal being destined for use by steamboats.

The original Great Central Railway also played a part in the story of containerisation, being one of only three companies which provided special wagons for the conveyance of 'fish tanks'. The GCR carried considerable fish traffic and the 'fish tanks' were designed to ensure that the fish reached its destination as fresh as possible. As such, the wagons were classified as passenger stock. The other two companies were the Midland and the Great Northern; the latter referred to its containers as 'cod boxes' and some of them lasted into the 1930s.

By the late 19th Century the closed container was with us. Resembling a wooden box van body, but with end doors, these were initially known as 'lift vans' and were privately owned by several furniture removal firms. They were carried both on railway wagons and on flat road trailers drawn by horses or steam tractors.

The 'box coal' is familiar in model form - the 'cod boxes' I've been unable to find, model or prototype.  There was some discussion on RMweb a few years ago about fish traffic but I don't think it covered 'cod boxes' - as a search term on RMweb, it returns no results.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Well sorted, Mike.

it’s a pretty reasonable assumption that the material should be /do “what it says on the tin”!

For t’other side, if you cut the first 7 planks on each side as pairs from the same (7?) strips, then flip one of each over, they have to match - well, “have to” if the strips are consistent along their length.

The ones that reach from top to bottom are less critical, though you’ll still need to be careful so they look right when you get to the ends.

atb

Simon

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Simon, you are right regarding cutting the strips from the same piece but at the present time my head is full of magic.  There is so much going on around me I am struggling to stay afloat. We only put the house on the market on Thursday and we have had one viewing already. I am under strict orders not to mess anywhere up just in case ........... Plus we are going ourselves to view more house and with the Imminent arrival of the clan from Australia who are staying for 3 weeks which will only add to the fun. Perhaps putting our house on the market at this time wasn't the smartest move but if we don't do it soon we will leave it to late and we will be stuck here forever.  

I have managed to get the body to a reasonable state before I start to add the details.  The roof is from a kit of unknown origin which was cut down to size and glued on with Tamiya cemet. The one I used is quite thick and is not suitable for some applications. But I have recently bought another bottle from the same manufacturer but labelled Extra thin cement.  They both come with a built in brush and the thin one is so easy to use I wish I had come across it years ago. I bought them from Whalton's in Altrincham who stock the Evergreen range of plastic.  So now I don't have to wait until I go to exhibitions to source these items. 

20230813_125303.jpg

20230813_125354.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

I have so much sympathy with you right now, Airnimal! My own (elder) daughter's wedding was extremely stressful- and my younger one is getting married next year and that is starting to loom. Everyday work, failing health, family vehicles, elderly, copiously incontinent dogs and house which seems to be rotting in a wide variety of places and which I have no time to put right are, collectively, bursting my head.

It's hard sometimes to count my many blessings.

Sometimes when I think of the many, many hours I've put into making models of Victorian locomotives it shocks me and I feel it's all been completely pointless- fiddling whilst Rome burns- and one day when I'm invited to ascend the inclined plane to a better place (or go downbye to a worse one) none of my kids will want any of my models- but I also know that it is sometimes all that keeps me from a straight jacket and a padded cell!

I really love the work you do- and greatly admire your patience and precision- please keep up the good work.

Thank you - you are truly inspiring!

John

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

My daughter ( the new bride ) is a teacher at a primary school in a deprived area. Her classroom has been decorated over the holidays by the local authority.  Unfortunately the painters take everything down and paint but don't restore the room as before.  So she has to go in early and put everything back as it was previously with some new editions.  So mum and dad and big sister are going to help again, the same as we did when she first moved there about 5 years ago. The tiny terrorist's are coming with us as well ! 

I did manage an hour in the workshop last night and prepared the 8 W-irons ready to make a pair of L&Y bolster wagons. The soldering isn't as neat as I normally do but I don't normally have as many distractions as I do at present.  At least I have a pass out for Saturday to go to Guildex for a respite.

20230830_072936.jpg

20230830_073843.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Well the day at my daughter's school was very busy for the entire 6 hours we were there. Everyone worked really hard to make the 3 classrooms look like a school again. I am extremely proud of of all the girls and I was going to include my wife in that praise until she said that my work wasn't accurate or precise enough. 

You could have knocked me down with a feather. I was putting up boarders up around the many notice boards that litter the classrooms when she said that she had been doing this for over 20 years and mine didn't match up to her standards. If you see me at Guildex on Saturday I may have a crestfallen look on my face.  Words fail me....................

20230830_121340.jpg

20230830_154704.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Simon, she has been back peddling ever since she said her cutting remarks. Our 3 daughters have been killing themselves with laughter and I believe this will forever be a family joke. As for her building wagons she has been barred from my workshop for the forseeable future. 

Returning to the wagons I have been making the axleboxes retaining straps from offcuts of scrap etch. 

The L&Y have a small curve at the bottom which are being shaped with the help of a pair of pliers with half round and half flat faces. This does bend the metal out of shape but it is easy to restore it to the correct shape after filing the face flat.

I have chosen these wagons because of there interesting features including a very small wheelbase at 6' and an unusual method of joining them together.  Looking at the drawing it appears to have a pair of metal rods linking them together at opposite corners with safety chains as well. The stanchions are drilled at the top with some small chains to secure any load providing I can make them that small.

20230831_123703.jpg

20230831_123723.jpg

20230831_123810.jpg

20230831_123951.jpg

20230831_132852.jpg

20230831_132914.jpg

• Like 15