S7 scratch building

Okay, so it's not perfect - I can see that, and sympathise with the rough journey and your feeling on reaching a different destination than originally planned (welcome to life at sea!).

The images and your write up are still chock full of absolutely brilliant lessons and tips to a newbie like me (and I imagine a fair few others). It can be a big deal to share things that aren't so good as well as those that are the very best they can be. Thank you.

Leaving the 4mm link saga aside (and, again, even this is valuable to me as I had wondered about doing just that), what did you use for the safety chains at the other end? They're rather good :)

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

The change hopefully will be that we have accepted an offer on our house and we have put a offer on another house that we like. We have not heard back if our offer has been accepted yet but at least we are moving in the right direction.  The house we like isn't 100% perfect but it does fit most of our needs. There will be some work to do if we do go ahead with the purchase but it is pretty close. There is a small boarded loft as well as a garage for big boys toys. My good lady has given permission for the small bedroom to become a workshop for myself.  We just have to keep our fingers crossed for a good outcome.  

So with this future looking a little brighter I am going to the S7 meeting on Saturday. 

Were you at Albury ? I think we may have had a brief chat, did you bring your wagons ?

Good luck with the house hunting, we moved/downsized 8 years ago, I guess its almost impossible to find exactly what you want, somethings almost always wrong.

We found a house that fitted almost all we wanted in a lovely Essex village close and surrounded by National Trust woodlands and common land, but it was too small and had no shed for a workshop/layout room. As most houses had extensions, we wrongly assumed a small extension would cost 30k. In the end we settled for a complete redevelopment of downstairs 3m wide wrap-around  extension costing an awful lot more, but having something so much better than we expected with an internal (small) railway den 

Good luck with your move and I hope you find what you both are looking for

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you to everyone for all the kind wishes. It is both an exciting time and a slightly worrying time. Not long after posting the last update we received a offer on our house which was a good compromise on what we required and what we could afford to let it go for. 

We had viewed several house that very same morning and we put in a offer that was originally refused,  but with a bit of bartering was also accepted.  This house is in our preferred location and is suitable for both our needs. So now comes all the hassle of sorting everything out in  regarding solicitors and other necessary bodies. 

I have already been tasked with clearing our lots of cupboards and draws as well as ferrying my good lady about to places including Hospital.  She still have a couple of weeks to go with her broken leg still encased in a large plastic boot. There is so much going on at present including trying to find some tyres for my fold up touring bike because I have been booked to go cycling in Hungary in mid June and helping out at my grandsons school because my wife still can't walk any  distance.  The wheels  on my fold up bike are 24" and tyres are very hard to find that are suitable.  I have tried at least 6 bike dealers without success on to be told to go to the internet.  Even that is fraught with difficulty because of my lack of knowledge of buying things from the net.

So models have taken a back seat here at the moment although I did try and make a new wagon. Because my mind is not really on the subject I have made a complete mess of this new wagon because it should have curved ends. I was concentrating on getting the plank lines lined up and didn't notice the obvious error until it was to late. Must try harder.  

hayfield,  I am sorry if I didn't acknowledge you at Albury on Saturday but I had a bit of a nightmare getting there as well as the change of plans at the last minute. I did take some  stock down there to run but the opportunity didn't arise.  Perhaps I will be in a better frame of mind the next time we meet up. 

20240430_154623.jpg

20240430_185425.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, airnimal said:

The wheels  on my fold up bike are 24" and tyres are very hard to find that are suitable.

Try SJS Cycles, phone 01278 441500 

or CycleCentric, phone 01954 782020