Peco 0 gauge turnouts problem

sjb

I'm constructing a garden layout using Peco 124 finescale track with a minimum radius of 1.80m and curved turnouts. I am running a live steam Corgi BL Mogul locomotive which rides over the check rails on the curved turnouts .It doesn't actually derail but gives an almighty jump.  It is fine on straight turnouts which I think is due to the fact that the check rails on straight turnouts are adjustable and therefore of wider clearance. I am tempted to remove the check rails and reposition them but Peco say this will result in other rolling stock de-railing. Does anyone have any experience of this or any solution?

The problem you are likely to have is trying to marry two incompatible standards. The Corgi / BL models do not have GOG FS wheels, whilst presumably your other stock does, and therefore you would have issues, with the potential for the FS stock trying to go "both ways" at crossings, or as you have observed, your coarse wheels jumping over the fine check rails.

If you select coarse standards for your rolling stock, so that it matches your loco, you'll have consistent standards, and can then adjust the check rails to suit. There are lots of coarse scale models available, and several suppliers.

Alternatively, it may be possible to have your coarse loco wheels turned to fine standards.

Another option is to use "universal" points - unfortunately, these are not available "off the shelf", but I'm sure Marcway can make them to order. There may be other suppliers, or you could make them yourself, using copperclad and the same code rail as you are using for the rest if your layout.

Best

Simon

I know that Roy James runs "coarse scale locos on peco track by removing the check rails have a look on you tube for the dream city railway, his locos and wagons seem to negotiate the points with no problems,  there were some articles in the gauge 0 Guild Gazette a couple of months ago about modifying Peco points, you could also so try the classic 0 gauge index lots of advice on there  and you could contact Roy direct ,hope this helps ......

Archived