Recent posting on the "Met-Camm Lightweights: Guidance on Converting a Class 101" thread have prompted me to  ask - has anyone on here used the Shawplan Extreme Etchng for the Met Camm Class 101 please?

https://www.shawplan.com/extreme_coach4mm.html

Over four years since my post above - and my model has finally arrived at the top of the "to do" list!

Any photos would be really helpful.   Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, cravensdmufan said:

Recent posting on the "Met-Camm Lightweights: Guidance on Converting a Class 101" thread have prompted me to  ask - has anyone on here used the Shawplan Extreme Etchng for the Met Camm Class 101 please?

https://www.shawplan.com/extreme_coach4mm.html

Over four years since my post above - and my model has finally arrived at the top of the "to do" list!

Any photos would be really helpful.   Thanks in advance

I have... just added my efforts on the other thread ;)  Well worth the effort IMO

• Thanks 1

It was me that measured the 101 at Grosmont with the help of Dale Smith and Eddie Knorn for Brian to draw up for this Shawplan etch.

20210226_144112.jpg.47a42919d7d3ae766f40b7b298e1257a.jpg

You can see the etch above. You get a reinforced window included for if you want to represent one of the units where the drivers (and occasionally the secondmans) window has been modified.

Below is a picture of a test fit I did. You need to reduce the height at the top of the windows by about 1mm, I used Evergreen strip, and widen the driver and secondmans windows outwards before adding the new frames.

20210215_155626.jpg.1cdb188e9362db33e4a3a5d851099d89.jpg

It has been claimed on the Met Cam Lightweight thread that the Bachmann model has a better profile than the Lima/Hornby body. It was pointed out in the press (IIRC in Rail Express Modeller but it may have spilled out onto internet fora) at the release of the Bachmann 101 that it was not the right shape at all on it's front top corners and the Lima/Hornby body is far better shaped in that area.

You pays your money and make your choices how you see fit but my Met Cam fleet will all be Lima or Hornby bodies with modified front windows and chassis with power provided by the Replica chassis. A money no object job would probably involve the same but running on Bachmann chassis and bogies.

Cheers

David

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/12/2023 at 16:55, Waveydavey said:

It was me that measured the 101 at Grosmont with the help of Dale Smith and Eddie Knorn for Brian to draw up for this Shawplan etch.

20210226_144112.jpg.47a42919d7d3ae766f40b7b298e1257a.jpg

You can see the etch above. You get a reinforced window included for if you want to represent one of the units where the drivers (and occasionally the secondmans) window has been modified.

Below is a picture of a test fit I did. You need to reduce the height at the top of the windows by about 1mm, I used Evergreen strip, and widen the driver and secondmans windows outwards before adding the new frames.

20210215_155626.jpg.1cdb188e9362db33e4a3a5d851099d89.jpg

It has been claimed on the Met Cam Lightweight thread that the Bachmann model has a better profile than the Lima/Hornby body. It was pointed out in the press (IIRC in Rail Express Modeller but it may have spilled out onto internet fora) at the release of the Bachmann 101 that it was not the right shape at all on it's front top corners and the Lima/Hornby body is far better shaped in that area.

You pays your money and make your choices how you see fit but my Met Cam fleet will all be Lima or Hornby bodies with modified front windows and chassis with power provided by the Replica chassis. A money no object job would probably involve the same but running on Bachmann chassis and bogies.

Cheers

David

Hello David! Nice to meet you at Define.

Aha! This the thread you mentioned about the 101 corners. I might just get out some files on my next Bachmann... or Lima effort!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Please keep us updated on your progress. 😊

And your 101s etc! I spent a few minutes last evening looking at curves.... of the 101 variety.... and there is definitely something subtle going on in the corners on the prototype. It kind of looks to me that the prototype curves backwards from the front before the corner and arc of the roof profile.  Will have a browse later to see if I can find any better.

• Like 1

Nice to meet you on Saturday Will. Always good to talk to somebody who likes their DMUs.

There was discussion of the issues with the shape and side window size in the archived thread on here ‘Decorated Samples of Class101’ if you want to have a read through. Mostly it’s about the size and location of the door and saloon windows but the shape of the front shoulders does get a mention.

For me the advantage of the Lima/Hornby option, in addition to the shape, is the availability of the centre car which Bachmann have never done. Being a Scottish 70s modeller all my Met Cams need to be 3 car units.

• Like 2

I've just stripped a pair of Bachmann 101s and it's quite interesting (well for me) to see the body shape (photos on my thread).

I'm thinking the bodyside curves might not be sharp enough. Also the centre window looks narrower than the outers. Do you know if the centre window is the same size as the outers? I plan on using the etches anyway as they look so much better

The centre windows are narrower than the outer. I measured the centres at 625mm, the outers at 655mm and the reinforced outers at 645mm across the visible glass. By your era I suspect most, if not all, 101s will have had the reinforced drivers window. Some cars also had the reinforced window on the second man’s side too.

The Bachmann front windows whilst being a better shape than on the Lima/Hornby body are just a little bit out but it is by fractions of millimetres. They are a bit wide but not quite tall enough.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Waveydavey said:

The centre windows are narrower than the outer. I measured the centres at 625mm, the outers at 655mm and the reinforced outers at 645mm across the visible glass. By your era I suspect most, if not all, 101s will have had the reinforced drivers window. Some cars also had the reinforced window on the second man’s side too.

The Bachmann front windows whilst being a better shape than on the Lima/Hornby body are just a little bit out but it is by fractions of millimetres. They are a bit wide but not quite tall enough.

Thanks! That was my suspicion and I'll make sure I stick on the frames in the right order!