Jim S-W's OLE thread

Guest jim s-w

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The question of gantries or portals being curved for strength has been around for some time. I have the good fortune to have temporary custody of the original contract drawings for the 1907 Lancster Morecambe Heysham OLE which were all built by the Butterley Iron Co (Who had also done St Pancras.) The camber on a 20' span was 1",, 25' span 1 1/2" and 30' and over 2". The ones up to 25' were made from two L girders back to back, and the longer ones were made rom 2 channel girders back to back. A handwritten note on the drawing says that this was best put in at the rolling mill when the steel was still hot. Out of interest most of the steelwork was made up from 1/2" steel rivetted together into various shapes. This comes out at 0.3mm or 12 thou brass in 7mm scale, so my first test etches have been at that size. I haven't yet made up any OLE but have made up the trusses for the platform awnings. Even though the brass is very thin and flexible the trusses are surprisingly strong, just like the real thing. There are some pictures of the first efforts on my Lancaster Green Ayre Thread. If anyone wants to see the OLE when I get going I will start a thread in due course. I am now in the process of doing the drawings for the rest of the OLE before getting my next etches done.

Jamie

• 1 year later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi Jamie

I actually think it looks really good. I like the keep it cheap and replacable approach Dapol have taken and it it gets more people modelling OLE thats a good thing. It will never be as good as scratchbuilt stuff where the entire system is designed as a whole but for a RTP 'close enough' I can't see much room for improvement really.

Cheers

Jim

Archived