Jim S-W's OLE thread

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Been experimenting with mixed results.

Firstly

ole%20test.jpg

A little test for a welded rod portal - while the leg turned out fine the main span needs a rethink regarding the way it is put together. Plus I realise I can go a lot finer on the etch for the rods itself.

registration%20arm.jpg

However I am much happier with this - a single piece etch that folds up into a registration arm and its bracket. Here posed on a 10p piece for scale.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi Matt

Same as when I used a tube - I have half etched lines on the inside of the arm so there is a slot I can solder my mounting wire into.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Having said that I am going to do one with holes in for Andi Dell's loop method as that is what we will be using to join the OLE on Proof House Junction and Tring.

Cheers

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi All

As I mentioned I was not happy with the first test etch for my welded rod portal so after literally returning to the drawing board I have now arrived at something I am much happier with.

welded%20rod%20portal.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Also under development is my design for a heavyweight portal - A flat etch just wont do so this ones a bit more complicated. The following picture shows construction in progress and gives an idea to how its put together.

heavyweight%20leg%20in%20progress.jpg

And here is the finished leg.

heavyweight%20leg%20finished.jpg

For those who want a closer look I will be demoing model OLE at Scalefour North this coming weekend - hope to see some of you there.

Cheers

Jim

Stunning work Jim.

Looks like you'll be an increasingly popular guy when Bachmann 85s and 350s start flying off the shelves !!!!

Guest jim s-w

Blummen 'eck!

Lovely stuff, Jim. How wide do the diagonal members on the gantry come out at?

Hi James

The leg is 39mm wide at its base.

I used bending bars as I dont have a hold and fold - I really should get one along with a rivet press!

Cheers

Jim

That second portal span looks stunning. It certainly, doesn't look all one etch or flat like the N brass version, what made you change your mind and go for a full etch? You've certainly put the scratch v r-t-p arguement to bed with these.

rgds

Guest jim s-w

Hi Dave

While the welded rods are not round they probably will be after paint. Plus there is the overall neatness factor - This portal is making the one on the plank look rubbish! Which is what I wanted as, while I was happy with the plank I wanted to move forward from it for the layout proper.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Been assembling the cross span for my heavyweight portal this evening - this is a model of BB 00 81 which is just in front of the tunnel mouth at the Wolves end of New Street. For a single span its absolutely huge!

heavyweight%20portal%20cross%20beam.jpg

A glimpse of the real thing

real%20heavywight%20portal.jpg

Cheers

Jim

I'll have to have a look at these on the weekend though its more for the design of steel structures rather than anything to do with the OHLE nature of yours!

Looking forward to the day we have that signalbox view available with all the wires in front of it :).

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Turning to simple masts for a moment. I have done a little etch for a bracket to hold the cantelevers to the post.

cantelever%20bracket.jpg

This is VERY close up - to give you an idea the pole is 0.6mm wide and the H section post 2mm across

following is my registration arm mounted in position

registration%20arm%20mounted.jpg

and finally an overall shot of the finished cantelever assembly

standard%20mast.jpg

This brings me to the unusual point of thinking that there is probably no way to take this any further forward from here! Hmmm...

Cheers

Jim

Jim, that is absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see it painted.

Is it possible to get a little step by step for the construction of single masts? For those of unable to make it to scalefour north this weekend.

Regards

Matt

Guest jim s-w

Hi Matt

I dont know if it can be broken down any more than it is already TBH. It really is super simple the only bit not shown is cutting the tubed to length and threading the .2mm wire into them before wrapping them arround the adjacent pole. The little bracket on the lower in 1mm OD 0.6mm ID steel tube shaped and soldered in place.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi Stu

Its hard to know - the BR drawings show these as flat. There are diagrams for other types of portal that show what the curves should be.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

The 3 main parts of the large portal are now done - told you it was a monster!

heavyweight%20portal.jpg

Cheers

Jim

And McKenzie & Holland (who made similar things for railways more than a hundred years ago) would be mighty proud of you.

Looks like you too have had to resort to actually building some of these things rather than simply using etchings. And isn't it incredibly satisfying when they come out like that?

Well done that man; they are superb.

Cheers

Mike

Looks like you too have had to resort to actually building some of these things rather than simply using etchings. And isn't it incredibly satisfying when they come out like that?

Cheers

Mike

That gantry is etched as I was looking at Jim's method of folding it up on the weekend. Its actually really strong too which seemed surprising, even more so on the tiny gantry also shown!

Guest jim s-w

Thanks Mike

As Craig says it is all etched. Its just more than 1 piece laminated together to give the right angles. You can see how the construction works in the picture of the half finished leg. Each vertical is paired with 1 diagonal to make assembly easier.

Of course anyone who wants quick and easy can always use the N-Brass stuff that is a flat etch, For me given the effort involved in building OLE why go for a timesaving shortcut that doesn't really make a big difference to the effort but looks nothing like the real thing.

But thats just me.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Mike

As Craig says it is all etched. Its just more than 1 piece laminated together to give the right angles. You can see how the construction works in the picture of the half finished leg. Each vertical is paired with 1 diagonal to make assembly easier.

Of course anyone who wants quick and easy can always use the N-Brass stuff that is a flat etch, For me given the effort involved in building OLE why go for a timesaving shortcut that doesn't really make a big difference to the effort but looks nothing like the real thing.

But thats just me.

Cheers

Jim

And me; that's why I've scratch built my lattice signals. But, etch or no etch, that OLE certainly looks absolutely spot on.

Cheers

Mike

Archived