Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

• RMweb Gold

As far as I am aware Chris no longer does any loco kits unfortunately, He only trades as and when due to other commitments, but he is an active member on here (username 5&9models). So it may be worth dropping him a message if there is something you need.

Gary

Are 5and9 models still trading? Is it just rolling stock now or do they still do the kits for Folkstone and Jenny lind?

Hi,

If you would like to PM me off group I'll forward an up to date price list. I'd be pleased to help you with any rolling stock for your project. Unfortunately Jenny Lind is not available as a kit as such but I still have the mould and all my casting is done to order so it might be possible. I can also cast a kit for the Parliamentary coach in the original photo if required?

Kind regards,

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are 5and9 models still trading? Is it just rolling stock now or do they still do the kits for Folkstone and Jenny lind?

Their website (link above) shows that the locos are discontinued, but the coach and wagon pages have been updated in the last few months. However -- 

Latest Update

Due to the difficulty in maintaining production and stocks with present work and family commitments, I have decided to move to selling kits in short runs when they are available via Ebay. Kits will be identified as 5and9 model kits or search for seller: tiffa*71

This web-site is now being used as a gallery of models that have been available.

Please email 5 and 9 models for the latest price list and availability

Edited by phil_sutters

Just email me and I'll do what I can to help.

There is a current price list and plenty planned for the future. The website is just used as a gallery for kits etc. I tend to use RMWeb for updates. 5&9models has a staff of one (me) cramming it into spare time here and there, but I always reply to emails and will do what I can.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Every now and again I have checked the Ebay shop, but have yet to spot anything for sale (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tiffa*71/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=10&_rdc=1), so I am glad of the chance to email to find out what might be available.

Even if kits are not produced, for me there is what could be an invaluable source of small parts: http://www.5and9models.co.uk/parts.html

I think particularly of things like long early coach springs and axle boxes.  I reckon with brass W Irons and plastic-card, I could knock up most types of early coaches demanded by my current project - the springs would make a huge difference.  I don't know of any other source for these in 4mm.

Also loco and coach buffers - I have a number of Sharp Stewart locos planned, for instance, and I note their pattern loco buffers in the range.

• RMweb Gold

Happy Now!!

post-22762-0-41437500-1494924316_thumb.jpg

So yes I have been working on a new grounded carriage body from the drawings sent to me by James (Edwardian). Its not quite finished but it does look good, and it will do until Chris (5&9Models) has a chance to cast a kit for it, I will replace it when he does!

Obviously this will look a lot better than the ratio body that has been on the layout, but now I need to find that a home!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 9

Happy Now!!

attachicon.gifgroundedBody.jpg

So yes I have been working on a new grounded carriage body from the drawings sent to me by James (Edwardian). Its not quite finished but it does look good, and it will do until Chris (5&9Models) has a chance to cast a kit for it, I will replace it when he does!

Obviously this will look a lot better than the ratio body that has been on the layout, but now I need to find that a home!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Perfect!

Late Victorian locomotives need an early Victorian grounded coach body to trundle past! 

Lovely job and immediately elevates your 'plank' above all the MPDs with various Ratio grounded bodies representing end-Nineteenth/early Twentieth Century types. 

I am very happy, and you should be too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James,

I am indeed very happy with it, the problem is that it went together so nicely that I now want to make a rake of early Victorian carriages when my main layout is set in the Edwardian period!!

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks James,

I am indeed very happy with it, the problem is that it went together so nicely that I now want to make a rake of early Victorian carriages when my main layout is set in the Edwardian period!!

Gary

I am going to have exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason when it comes to grounded bodies on CA!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am going to have exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason when it comes to grounded bodies on CA!

I will probably do it at some point anyway. They will look nice behind the Manning Wardle I made. Even if they are out of period!!

Gary

I will probably do it at some point anyway. They will look nice behind the Manning Wardle I made. Even if they are out of period!!

Gary

You should!

In my imagination (where time and other constraints are not a problem) I see a late 1850s WNR train for the purposes of the opening ceremony, with some of the stock modelled again as grounded bodies for 'present day' (1905).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It's a slippery slope James!! I was once going to have 1 Edwardian period train that I could run when no-one was looking on my 1950's layout!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

It's a slippery slope James!! I was once going to have 1 Edwardian period train that I could run when no-one was looking on my 1950's layout!!

Gary

Do not under-estimate the power of the Dark Side!

They'll have you building your own track next ....

• Like 5

I only soldered 1 rail on so I don't think I can claim to be a finescale modeller. It will be however a nice SE&CR layout when it's done! So at least it's still pre-grouping!!

Gary

Pre 1921 grouping but post LCDR/SER grouping, so both pre and post grouping
  • Like 2

From the other end of the country I'm afraid and I must pull my finger out and finish it (It only needs hand rails) built with the silhouette cutter when done I've got some first and third coaches from the same stable ready to be cut and built

post-17847-0-46894000-1494950120_thumb.jpg

At the moment I've got the chance to actually get some boards up and start the layout so all efforts have turned to that. Still the coaches are drawn and on file so I'll get round to them in due coarse.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Pre 1921 grouping but post LCDR/SER grouping, so both pre and post grouping

You make a good point, however I can defend it as pure pre-grouping if I get technical!! As the SE&CR was a management committee that oversaw the operation of 2 distinct railway companies (LCDR and SER) and they never actually merged therefore it may be a "union" but it is not a "grouping".

However I really hate pedantic points so I will concede that it is both pre and post grouping!! Will the serious SE&CR modellers agree is the real question??

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Steve that coach is bl00dy brilliant!! My silhouette cutter has still not been used for modelling!! I have seen the layout planning thread and I am looking forward to seeing what you build, having been a follower of your rolling stock threads since I joined RMWeb!

Gary

You make a good point, however I can defend it as pure pre-grouping if I get technical!! As the SE&CR was a management committee that oversaw the operation of 2 distinct railway companies (LCDR and SER) and they never actually merged therefore it may be a "union" but it is not a "grouping".

However I really hate pedantic points so I will concede that it is both pre and post grouping!! Will the serious SE&CR modellers agree is the real question??

Gary

At the risk of being pedantic ...... !

Grouping refers to a particular event.  I always capitalise it for that reason.  References to the period pre-Grouping can only be understood as a reference to the events of 1923.

If it helps, I tend to think of other "groupings" as "amalgamations".  Further, "grouping" suggests to me more than two entities combining contemporaneously. I would have thought two companies combining was a "merger" (or "takeover"), rather than a "grouping".  Are two people or things a "group" of them?

However, I too, have an aversion to pedantic points .... I'll get my coat ....

• Like 2

At the risk of being pedantic ...... !

Grouping refers to a particular event. I always capitalise it for that reason. References to the period pre-Grouping can only be understood as a reference to the events of 1923.

If it helps, I tend to think of other "groupings" as "amalgamations". Further, "grouping" suggests to me more than two entities combining contemporaneously. I would have thought two companies combining was a "merger" (or "takeover"), rather than a "grouping". Are two people or things a "group" of them?

However, I too, have an aversion to pedantic points .... I'll get my coat ....

You are quite right, it would better be described as a merger, a takeover however, would for me be like the great western taking over the Bristol and Exeter (i.e keeping the name of the larger), I would then reserve the term amalgamation for 3 or more companies coming together (sorry no example springs immediately to mind)... if were being pedantic... :D Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 3

Just pondering on Gary's orignal exam question, is it possible to turn this photo

post-9472-0-04191600-1495236989_thumb.jpg

into a printed backdrop?. Surely Gary is not alone in having too many locos and needing an appropriate setting in which to display them?

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 4