Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

So I suppose you all want to see how the turntable turned out then?

So that's that then!! Time for the next bit of the layout!

and Sir Eustace mentioned my new by from eBay, which if you follow the eBay madness thread you will know what it is! but for those that don't it has arrived!!!!!

and it is................

attachicon.gifIMG_20180301_131800.jpg

a new yet slightly strangle coloured LB&SCR B1!!!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

Gary 

You could always convert one of your Gladstones into a Richmond, which provides an interesting variation.

post-9472-0-97577000-1520020223_thumb.jpg

I know that your turntable is now done and dusted, but there is rather a good article on building a turntable from scratch in the March edition of Model Railroad Hobbyist

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Eric,

That is an interesting idea!! I must admit the only reason I got the new one is because it was cheap!! so adding some variation to the loco roster would be good!

The turntable in that article certainly looks more sturdy that mine, Although I don't have the tools to make one like that!!!! Thanks for the link.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

So everyone.

Following the completion of the turntable. I bring you a rather momentous day in the history of Brighthelmstone works!

So without further ado I present to you, Brighthelmstone Locomotive Works!!!!

post-22762-0-62688800-1520029669_thumb.jpg

That's right the track is down!!!!! :danced: :danced: :danced:

So time for the champagne then??

Gary

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone!!

I thought I would throw in a quick tutorial! This one is about turning the Peco rail built buffer stop into an LBSC one.

So we start with a look at the unaltered Peco stop:

post-22762-0-24751300-1520114287_thumb.jpg

And in it's constituent parts:
post-22762-0-83354600-1520114292_thumb.jpg

The first thing to do is to remove the upright sections from the sides:

post-22762-0-07109600-1520114297_thumb.jpg

And the stop blocks from the beam:

post-22762-0-01467800-1520114301_thumb.jpg

I then rebuild the buffer stop and cut down the pips that connect the sides to the beam:

post-22762-0-78045800-1520114306_thumb.jpg

Once the pips have been cut down I create a new full length stop block out of a coffer stirrer, which is the connected to the original cross bar:

post-22762-0-34313900-1520114316_thumb.jpg

I then file the whole section to have rounded ends:

post-22762-0-19127300-1520114318_thumb.jpg

The whole thing the gets covered in sleeper grime:

post-22762-0-21982900-1520114322_thumb.jpg

Some white on the buffer beam:

post-22762-0-99859200-1520114323_thumb.jpg

A black line through the middle (showing that you can still see the wood grain through the paint!):

post-22762-0-80942100-1520114325_thumb.jpg

The stop is then put back together, giving us a nice cheap and easy LBSC buffer stop!!

post-22762-0-32253700-1520114328_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So we are back for another small update,

As I'm sure a lot of you will have noticed in my picture above, the works is looking a bit clean.

Well not any more! I took the buildings back of and mixed up a black wash:

post-22762-0-12971900-1520200828_thumb.jpg

and started applying it to the buildings, I figured being a Victorian Locomotive Works it would be absolutely filthy!!

Before and after:

post-22762-0-27360400-1520200830_thumb.jpg

and the whole wall:

post-22762-0-27794400-1520200832_thumb.jpg

Once I had done the walls I got a bit carried away!!!

post-22762-0-77276600-1520200834_thumb.jpg

So no more "clean" works!! What does everybody think?

Gary

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

Looking good.  If you are ever in London if you take a train from Liverpool Street it will take you past walls that look as if they have never been cleaned since the steam days, well that is how I remember them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

So far the table is removable as I haven't done it yet!!! The plan is contacts in the wall under the rails. I am waiting for some small ball bearings to arrive which will be sprung behind it. Hopefully they will be able to be used successfully, I cannot remember where I stole this idea from, I will report back with my findings once they arrive!!

Gary

• Like 2

I once tried using 6 1.5mm ball bearings running over isolated sections of PCB beneath for power feed on an O9 gauge wagon turntable. Turns out hardened stainless steel balls have a tiny contact area and aren't great at conducting electricity.

I wish you better luck, but if you've got a rail I'd use that for collection and maybe save yourself some headaches by ignoring the fancy options and putting a dpdt in the turntable feed in case you do a full turn.

• RMweb Premium

If that is the case, changing the pivot to an audio jack plug and socket will give you the best overall feed. The DPDT switch will again be required to change polarity.

I'd put some sort of marker on the table itself to show which way round it is, so that you have some way of keeping track of which way the switch should be!

There must be a way of using a relay to switch it automatically, but I've got a headache and can't think straight at the minute...

Andy G

• Like 1

I don't mean to be too negative, but I thought it was a stroke of genius - a styrene bearing cage beneath the turntable with the bearings themselves routing power. I'd have been better off keeping things simpler. My little turntable sits in my display cabinet to remind me when I've got a great idea...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The other way to do it would be to use a Strowger selector wipers https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPO-Strowger-Telephone-exchange-Wipers-Number-22-For-2000-4000-type-selectors/282866934513?hash=item41dc2ee2f1:g:UyEAAOSwIINZw7jj or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPO-STROWGER-SELECTOR-WIPERS-Number-23-For-Vertical-Marking-Bank-x-10-Off-NOS/142704988524?hash=item2139e1516c:g:B7AAAOSwiYFXE~IB (the wiper 22's clamp around a shaft, wipers 23 bolt to a flat plate).

Mount the wipers on the shaft, and then make up a 'bank' out of double sided copper clad. This will need to be a complete ring, so is better doing in two halfs, with the copper removed at the joints to make an insulated joint, and to make the wiper mover over the join easier. Then you can wire the two halves up, with the bottom of one half wired to the top of the other, so as the table rotates the wipers move around and half way round the polarity changes.

I knew the answer would come in telephone gear!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

That must be it.  Usually, though, people pay me to talk (which is even better).

Yes, I did wonder if I was stretching things a bit by suggesting that you actually listened...

Na, Na, stop insultin' the Loyar, it ain't 'is fault, blessim.

Oi thinks it's time ter return t'topic, if yer don't mind, or else I'll 'ave ter post the cartoony thingy showing a commie solder drawing on a sign before some ninjery bloke rolls up!

I worned yer:

:offtopic:  :offtopic:  :offtopic:  :offtopic:  :offtopic:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys,

Glad to know people approve of my weathering!! After all, other than the coal merchant's yard on Oak Hill, this is the only thing I have weathered!!!!!

Brack, do not worry about being negative, I would much rather hear other peoples experiences, and issues they faced, than spend hours trying to fix a problem that is not worth the effort!!

Andy, I think I understand what you mean about the switches, I shall have to get some of them as well and give it a try!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Turntable feed, you’ve got a rail in the bottom of the pit, if you cut this across at right angles to the axis of your running lines, have a wiper underneath each end of the turntable, one end to the one side rail, tother end to the other, feed into the two segments of your turntable pit rail, and Robert should be your fathers brother? (Did we met him before in Oak Hill?)

• Like 3