Brighthelmstone Loco Works - Inspired by Brighton 1870's

Turntable feed, you’ve got a rail in the bottom of the pit, if you cut this across at right angles to the axis of your running lines, have a wiper underneath each end of the turntable, one end to the one side rail, tother end to the other, feed into the two segments of your turntable pit rail, and Robert should be your fathers brother? (Did we met him before in Oak Hill?)

If you arrange the breaks in the rail so that only those parts of it which are in contact with the wipers when the table is aligned with a track, you will reduce the risk of accidentally driving a loco off the table and into the pit!

Jim

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Turntable feed, you’ve got a rail in the bottom of the pit, if you cut this across at right angles to the axis of your running lines, have a wiper underneath each end of the turntable, one end to the one side rail, tother end to the other, feed into the two segments of your turntable pit rail, and Robert should be your fathers brother? (Did we met him before in Oak Hill?)

If you arrange the breaks in the rail so that only those parts of it which are in contact with the wipers when the table is aligned with a track, you will reduce the risk of accidentally driving a loco off the table and into the pit!

Jim

Would it be wrong of me to that that is bl00dy genius!!!!

Also why didn't I think of it before sticking down the rail!!!!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Na, Na, stop insultin' the Loyar, it ain't 'is fault, blessim.

No one made him chose the third oldest profession... (The second oldest is the priesthood.)

I know you wanted to get back on topic, but if I may crave your indulgence just once more...

Back in the 1990s, it became fashionable to hide things by renaming them, so “problems” became “issues” (I recall countering my boss when he told me that, “We don’t have problems, only issues,” with, “If I can’t solve this problem, I think you will an issue with me”) and one of the in-things to do was to create a community by not using the word “customer”. I remember an account manager (I worked in marketing at the time) trying this out by using the trendy word “client”, only to be put down by the senior account manager with the memorable line, “No. We have customers. The only people who have clients are lawyers. And prostitutes.”

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Would it be wrong of me to that that is bl00dy genius!!!!

Also why didn't I think of it before sticking down the rail!!!!

Gary

Unless you intend to have, or do have, DCC sound, in which case you need to keep the power fed to the table at all times.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do have 2 DCC sound locos. Neither of which will fit on a 42' turntable, or fit in with the era of any of my layouts!! I intend on adding it to more, but I won't miss it if I can't use it on Brighthelmstone!

Gary

• Like 2

No one made him chose the third oldest profession... (The second oldest is the priesthood.)

I know you wanted to get back on topic, but if I may crave your indulgence just once more...

Back in the 1990s, it became fashionable to hide things by renaming them, so “problems” became “issues” (I recall countering my boss when he told me that, “We don’t have problems, only issues,” with, “If I can’t solve this problem, I think you will an issue with me”) and one of the in-things to do was to create a community by not using the word “customer”. I remember an account manager (I worked in marketing at the time) trying this out by using the trendy word “client”, only to be put down by the senior account manager with the memorable line, “No. We have customers. The only people who have clients are lawyers. And prostitutes.”

As they are the only two professions that truly understand discretion.

• Like 1

Not so.  The Medical and Dental professions ( and their staff) along with the clergy have an ethical duty of confidentiality.

Jim

Pah! Lawyers were tying people up in knots while medicos were still sawing people's arms off in between administering a short back and sides.  The oldest profession, however, had doubtless been tying people up (and, indeed, anything else that took your fancy) for a few centuries prior to that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.

The oldest profession for fun.

The next oldest to tell you it was naughty/to salve your conscience/save your soul.

Then comes the profession to get you off the hook if caught.

Finally, the people to treat the infections you may have picked up...

There is some logic in the progression...

• RMweb Gold

Well since there has been a call for help, I suppose I should post another update!

I have weathered the track! Painting the sleepers with sleeper grime, and the rails with a brown mix made out of a couple of colours I had.

post-22762-0-33553100-1520334872_thumb.jpg

and no sooner had I done that than some locos turned up to try it out!!

post-22762-0-15795100-1520334903_thumb.jpg

Just a small update, but the layout is really starting to get there now!!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well I let the tread go quiet again!!! Although no hijacks appear to have happened!

but don't worry I'll be back working on Brighthelmstone shortly, I went quiet for a good reason! and that is:

A good friend is having a rough time, however he is a railway fanatic and has fond memories of the RWS as a child, and ever since having Very Old Engines read to him as a kid he has wanted a model of Neil, so my job was clear, The first loco had to emerge from Brighthelmstone Works!

A hunted around my spares box, and scrap box, and every other source I had, and soon I had a load of parts, as well as a drawing.

So ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the first loco out of Brighthelmstone Works, still awaiting it's paint, The Sodor & Mainland Railway's number 2 Neil!!!!

post-22762-0-60232400-1520546787_thumb.jpg

I hope to get some filler and some paint on him over the weekend in preparation for shipping to his new home!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 8

Sodor and Mainland? Sodor and Mainland?

What that needs, young man, is a proper coat of a proper paint for proper locomotives!

Mr Stroudley's Improved Engine Green, please!

Sodor and Mainland indeed. I really do not know what the world is coming to!

Personally, I think you should finish it in works grey prior to shipping and pose it for a photograph up against the works wall, and that this should happen for all new creations!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sodor and Mainland? Sodor and Mainland?

What that needs, young man, is a proper coat of a proper paint for proper locomotives!

Mr Stroudley's Improved Engine Green, please!

Sodor and Mainland indeed. I really do not know what the world is coming to!

Personally, I think you should finish it in works grey prior to shipping and pose it for a photograph up against the works wall, and that this should happen for all new creations!

Someone obviously doesn't like a bit of S&M!!!! (ooh matron!) on the other hand I like the photographic grey idea!!! It will be getting a grey undercoat! photos in front of the works wall it is!!

Brilliant Gary.  What an excellent job of a characterful subject.  Tell us how you did it!

I loved that little green Neilson box tank.

Let's see what I can do! I didn't take many pictures though!

I have drawings ..... !

So do I!! but you probably guessed that!!

As this is only going to be a static model, there was not need for it to move, so the wheels are from the GBL T9 tender, THis means I have 2 more If I want to make another one!!

The rest of the chassis was made from 80 thou plasticard, this gives the loco all of it's strength. The body was made from 20 thou, and the chimney a piece of plastic tubing I had:

post-22762-0-49612500-1520548729_thumb.jpg

The GBL collection was then raided again, the chimney cap is from a GBL 57xx and the slide rods are from a GBL county, The cylinders were the same tubing as the chimney, the front and back are circles of 20 thou cut with a hole punch:

post-22762-0-23901200-1520548731_thumb.jpg

So then that brought us to a bit more detail, coupling hooks from another GBL loco, con rods cut from a GBL 9F, whistle and safety valve from more GBL locos, some brass rod bent to shape, and an off cut of sprue give us what we have now:

post-22762-0-58956900-1520548734_thumb.jpg

I must say even when I was collection the magazines, I didn't think the GBL series would be so useful!!!

A rather quick build, and one I am very happy with, and knowing that it is putting a smile on a friends face just makes it that much better!!

Gary

• Like 9