Not detecting decoder

Having started to lay track on my new layout I went to test one of my locos today which had been boxed up for a while whilst the new layout was built. Nothing worked despite the NCE showing the correct loco number, I've tried 2 other locos with the same result, tried re-programming them and the decoders are not detected. Wiring is correct with no shorts. Any idea as to the problem & solution? All the locos worked fine on the old layout. Thanks.

When you say that the decoder isn't detected do you mean the loco won't run even when inputting the correct address?  I had a similar problem when trying to run locos that had been programmed with Digitrax a long time ago.  I had no response from NCE when I tried them.

I recall that the answer to my problem was to reset to factory default (CV8:8 usually but you should check the decoder literature).  This should get the loco going on address 03 and you can then input the desired address.

John

When you say that the decoder isn't detected do you mean the loco won't run even when inputting the correct address?  I had a similar problem when trying to run locos that had been programmed with Digitrax a long time ago.  I had no response from NCE when I tried them.

I recall that the answer to my problem was to reset to factory default (CV8:8 usually but you should check the decoder literature).  This should get the loco going on address 03 and you can then input the desired address.

John

That's exactly it John, loco is completely dead. I'll give it go as you describe and see what happens. On a Canadian FB site I've posted the same question on a response has been the same as apparently this can happen if locos are stored for some time

Try the suggested decoder reset. 

Also, you could try a different decoder in the loco to see whether it is a decoder problem or a locomotive problem.

Just a few days ago i updated my spreadsheet listing every DCC-fitted locomotive and what decoders are installed. One Bachmann class 66 had a question mark against it, and absolutely failed to respond in any way on the programming track or even on DC. I opened it up and lo and behold, there was no decoder and no blanking plug fitted! I must have "borrowed" the decoder from it at some stage to install in a more deserving project, and forgotten to restore it later.

Archived